Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's going to b a logistics nightmare. How early will fans have to show up in order to get it? Lineups for the bathroom will be 3 times as long, concessions will be pretty bad. I think most will not be interested if they have to do anything remotely as close to what is happening at stores like Home Depot.

Imagine the small handful of fans allowed to watch the SCF? Historic.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
As contagious/deadly as the virus has been said to be has anyone seen any waste/biohazard bins specifically for gloves/masks anywhere?

You would think they would be at least at the big chain grocery stores that have been open with restrictions pretty much throughout the pandemic but I haven't seen any.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's going to b a logistics nightmare. How early will fans have to show up in order to get it? Lineups for the bathroom will be 3 times as long, concessions will be pretty bad. I think most will not be interested if they have to do anything remotely as close to what is happening at stores like Home Depot.

Under the current rules and restrictions I agree - it would be a mess. My theory is, though, that a combination of falling numbers, economic imperatives and public fatigue will turn many of these rules into just "guidelines" or "recommendations" by sometime this summer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good! People need to get outside and get some fresh air.

Hopefully folks are smart enough to keep a proper distance from one another.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Can anyone please explain why some cities are going crazy over trying to get the NHL to host the playoffs in their city? What the f*** do they get out of it besides having to spend a ton of money to be able to do it? There will be no fans. The chances of the covid spreading will be higher considering how many people are going to be needed for an event like the playoffs. I just don't see why some cities are gonig gaga over the chance of hosting the NHL.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The requirements for golfing are nuts. You can make a bunch of rules to protect people...but the rules are overkill, everybody hates them, and there's no way to effectively police it.

If you lie to people and tell them smoking weed kills them, you lose their trust and they start shooting heroin. Jaywalking and speeding are illegal; nobody cares.

Pretty soon these rules will just be a bunch of signs in businesses that get wholly ignored.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
The virus actuallly is propagated in the communities when people are taking the public transit, especially Uber, Lyft or Taxis. The hospitals built their own infrastructure, where it is impassible to park and the wait list to get a parking spot could go for years to obtain. And the spots are usually reserved to the top doctors and surgeons who are useless in this pandemic. If you look at Ottawa, nurses, who work with covid patients in three hospitals. They do not have the parking spots and forced to take cheap Uber and Lyft. Also taking Uber and Lyft are the PSW in extensive care and retirement homes. They are underpaid by owners, can not afford a car. Many are recent immigrants, live in places like Caldwell and other projects and picking the virus from Uber and Lyft back seats after covid nurses and transport it to their work places. It is a miracle that only 20 patients now are in the extensive care for example in the General right now. Taxi, Uber and Lyft drivers are also suffered the biggest casualties against the virus. After the retirement homes and health care workers.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I keep a mask in my car. Right now my decision process to wear it in public looks like this:

1) Will I be embarrassed? Will I be the only person in the store wearing one? ... Will I be the only person NOT wearing one? .... Are the staff wearing them? .... The more people wearing one the more likely I am to be wearing mine.

2) What are the odds I get COVID?
Do the masks even work? ... What are the case numbers for Ottawa like right now? ... The staff aren't following the rules and they're here all day ... If I'm going to get it at some point anyways, maybe just say screw it?

3) How bad would it be if I get it? I'm young enough that I should be okay ... Maybe I'll even get immunity that will let me stop worrying and get back to regular life.

4) What are the odds I transmit it to others?
Would it be a loved one or a stranger? ... How bad would it be for them? ... If I give it to my neighbour and then later their mom dies, that's going to be pretty awkward.

All this goes through my head, every single time, in the parking lot of the grocery store, beer store, etc. Then I either say to myself "The risk is low, you don't need a mask p***y" and leave the mask in my car, or I say "who cares what other people think? Just put it on, p***y."

If I lived in China, this whole process would just be "Government says mask, so mask." That seems way better somehow.

Reactions: maclean

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I keep a mask in my car. Right now my decision process to wear it in public looks like this:

1) Will I be embarrassed? Will I be the only person in the store wearing one? ... Will I be the only person NOT wearing one? .... Are the staff wearing them? .... The more people wearing one the more likely I am to be wearing mine.

2) What are the odds I get COVID?
Do the masks even work? ... What are the case numbers for Ottawa like right now? ... The staff aren't following the rules and they're here all day ... If I'm going to get it at some point anyways, maybe just say screw it?

3) How bad would it be if I get it? I'm young enough that I should be okay ... Maybe I'll even get immunity that will let me stop worrying and get back to regular life.

4) What are the odds I transmit it to others?
Would it be a loved one or a stranger? ... How bad would it be for them? ... If I give it to my neighbour and then later their mom dies, that's going to be pretty awkward.

All this goes through my head, every single time, in the parking lot of the grocery store, beer store, etc. Then I either say to myself "The risk is low, you don't need a mask p***y" and leave the mask in my car, or I say "who cares what other people think? Just put it on, p***y."

If I lived in China, this whole process would just be "Government says mask, so mask." That seems way better somehow.

So, most masks getting worn are cloth masks, unless you have a n95 mask you aren't protecting youself, you are protecting those around you.

It's kind of sad, for the minor inconvenience that a mask is, it only works if people use it at large.

It's tough to get people to inconvenience themselves for other peoples good; kind of like getting people to get flu shots, they typically balance their benefit (not getting the flu) with their inconvenience (getting a shot sucks and i gotta go to the clinic) but ignore the benefits that don't directly impact them.

To me it just seems selfish for me to not use a mask when warranted. The inconvenience to me is so minor and given that roughly 50% of people who are infected are asymptomatic, may not know they have it, and are contageous just makes the stakes high enough that it seems like a pretty straight forward choice. Idk maybe i am missing something in the calculus others are making when choosing not to wear at least a cloth mask when keeping social distance isn't possible.

Wrt wearing n95 masks, i think jf you are going into a high risk situation, it's a no brainer, but i personally just avoid those situations.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wear a mask in public to encourage others. I am quite sure I no longer have the virus but I think others feel more comfortable when I have the mask on.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Testing has kind of collapsed over Sunday/Monday. Will be interesting to see Tuesday's number.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I haven't worn the mask in public yet but I haven't been in any situation where I'm close to or talking to anyone (except for the cashier who's behind an acrylic panel).

I've been to my local grocery store and Rona so far over the past 2.5 months. I time my outings around diner time (I noticed its always the quietest time) and I don't "cross" people in the aisles, I just wait for them to finish what they're doing.

I do have a mask with me, but don't put it on unless I'll be speaking with someone for more than 30s, I find the mask makes it more likely I touch my face than without.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Of the 1919 deaths due to Covid-19 in Ontario 1400 are in long term care homes. I wonder what the average age of the remaining 500 is?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So, most masks getting worn are cloth masks, unless you have a n95 mask you aren't protecting youself, you are protecting those around you.

It's kind of sad, for the minor inconvenience that a mask is, it only works if people use it at large.

It's tough to get people to inconvenience themselves for other peoples good; kind of like getting people to get flu shots, they typically balance their benefit (not getting the flu) with their inconvenience (getting a shot sucks and i gotta go to the clinic) but ignore the benefits that don't directly impact them.

To me it just seems selfish for me to not use a mask when warranted. The inconvenience to me is so minor and given that roughly 50% of people who are infected are asymptomatic, may not know they have it, and are contageous just makes the stakes high enough that it seems like a pretty straight forward choice. Idk maybe i am missing something in the calculus others are making when choosing not to wear at least a cloth mask when keeping social distance isn't possible.

Wrt wearing n95 masks, i think jf you are going into a high risk situation, it's a no brainer, but i personally just avoid those situations.

Here's some of my thinking.

What are the odds you have an asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic case of COVID right now?
IF you have such an asymptomatic case, what are the odds that you transmit that casually to another person in the grocery store, leading to someone getting very sick or perhaps even dying?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd suggest it's very low.
Lower, perhaps, than the incremental risk of driving over the speed limit, or of eating a hamburger while driving. Certainly better than driving tired. These are other activities that most people do without thinking too much about it. That doesn't make it right, but it puts the decision in perspective. The potential impact of COVID might be a bit higher.

Perhaps a better example: Pre-2020, if you had the flu and had to go to the pharmacy for a prescription, did you wear a mask in the pharmacy? I've never worn a mask when I was ill. I'm not trying to suggest that Covid is the flu. I'm suggesting that a person who knows they're sick with the flu probably has a higher likelihood of accidentally killing someone through transmission than an asymptomatic person of unknown COVID status.

Again, none of this defends the decision to not wear a mask, but it puts it in perspective for the actual risk you're taking.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Of the 1919 deaths due to Covid-19 in Ontario 1400 are in long term care homes. I wonder what the average age of the remaining 500 is?
Back when deaths were around 1500 early this month, 87% were 70 or older but only comprised of around 30% of all cases, 1.5% were under 50, and 11% were between 50 and 70. Not sure how many of those were outside of long term care, I'm sure some of the 50-70 group would have been in LTC.

I think that lines up with the initial break downs by age from the Chinese study, but I'd have to double check. So based on those numbers, the average age would probably be >50 when you exclude LTC deaths, because we're dealing with about 20 people under that mark (likely to be in the higher end of that range) and around 170 in the 50-70 range (again, likely skewing towards the higher end of that range).

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Testing has kind of collapsed over Sunday/Monday. Will be interesting to see Tuesday's number.

They are quite literally running out of sick people to test - that's the issue. There are also questions about how useful it is to blanket test the entire population. After all, the test is only useful on the day it is done. Now, testing the general public for antibodies? That is potentially useful.

It's worth noting that in Ontario, almost 77% of the cases have resolved themselves. That number continues to rise. Additionally, hospitalization and ICU numbers, never high to begin with, are trending down. The down slope is slow, but a month from now we'll see a much improved picture. That sets up the big fight, which is when and under what conditions governments will start allowing concerts and large gatherings again...

Reactions: Rand0m

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here's some of my thinking.

What are the odds you have an asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic case of COVID right now?
IF you have such an asymptomatic case, what are the odds that you transmit that casually to another person in the grocery store, leading to someone getting very sick or perhaps even dying?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd suggest it's very low.
Lower, perhaps, than the incremental risk of driving over the speed limit, or of eating a hamburger while driving. Certainly better than driving tired. These are other activities that most people do without thinking too much about it. That doesn't make it right, but it puts the decision in perspective. The potential impact of COVID might be a bit higher.

Perhaps a better example: Pre-2020, if you had the flu and had to go to the pharmacy for a prescription, did you wear a mask in the pharmacy? I've never worn a mask when I was ill. I'm not trying to suggest that Covid is the flu. I'm suggesting that a person who knows they're sick with the flu probably has a higher likelihood of accidentally killing someone through transmission than an asymptomatic person of unknown COVID status.

Again, none of this defends the decision to not wear a mask, but it puts it in perspective for the actual risk you're taking.

So a couple points;
1. Eating a hamburger while driving isn't contagious, on the off chance you do crash, the person you hit won't then be likely to spread that crash to another 2 to 3 people who will in turn each spread it to another 2-3 people and so on.
2. People were vaccinated to the flu you had, so the likelihood of you spreading it was mitigated. We are currently in a lockdown because of how much this is spreading due to the lack of mitigation, so you wearing a mask is helping to mitigate it is in place of vaccines, so maybe if everyone actually wore masks, we could get out this lockdown quicker.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Unless you are unable to afford a mask, I don't understand why people choose to not wear one in public. There's no drawback to wearing it and it could help end this sooner if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad