Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Can someone explain to me, honestly I am not being facetious, why there is so much concern over Covid when the survival rate is 99.6%? I mean, if you do get it, you have a very tiny chance of dying. I know that it is technically worse than the seasonal flu in terms of mortality rate, but its not THAT MUCH greater - imo - that warrants the freak out that is going on in North America.

As long as the mortality rate stays at .04% or so, why are countries shutting themselves down over this? I feel like if the media reported on cases like this over the seasonal flu, people would still freak out equally; they just aren't as aware of it since the media doesn't cover it.

If you're one of the people who develops symptoms it's a hell of a lot worse than the flu, and lasts much longer as well. It's also super virulent and if we hadn't done any sort of lockdown, we'd be in deep doodoo, especially regarding the health system. I know people who work within it here in Montreal where the virus was much more present, and they were overwhelmed. This was never the case with the flu.

People really need to stop dismissing something they have no personal experience with.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I know your looking forward to a fireworks of a conversation, but I want to be clear that I am not trying to make this political. I am just so upset that our lives have been turned upside down, and so many important things have been disrupted. When I look at the numbers it just doesn't make sense to me why these things are happening.
To think there are some who are okay if the country were to be shutdown for an even longer period of time.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Ten straight days of zero covid deaths in Ottawa? That’s fantastic. I think the American CDC guidelines suggest that 14 straight days of no new cases gates you through to the next phase. But 10 days of no new deaths is a great start. We deserve a pat on our backs for our work together to achieve a common goal. If only opioid deaths could similarly be reduced in such a short time frame.

Of course, as we’ve seen in places like New Zealand and PEI where they did have 14 days of no new cases, they then reopened only to quickly see flare ups. It hasn’t gone away. Its still out there amongst asymptomatics. But we have now put ourselves in a position to tackle those embers without requiring a new lockdown.

Americans unfortunately seem to have passed that point. There are too many cases now for them to test, contact trace, and isolate their way to crushing the curve. The only way they can now get the new exponential growth under control is to do the lockdown again. This will cost them a lot of money. Perhaps another trillion or two. Their hospitals may soon be overflowing without this lockdown. Possibly a 9/11’s worth of deaths everyday this fall if they stay the course. This also means young people with non-covid issues requiring hospitalization will be SOL.

Keep it up Canada. Stay on guard for thee.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ten straight days of zero covid deaths in Ottawa? That’s fantastic. I think the American CDC guidelines suggest that 14 straight days of no new cases gates you through to the next phase. But 10 days of no new deaths is a great start. We deserve a pat on our backs for our work together to achieve a common goal. If only opioid deaths could similarly be reduced in such a short time frame.

Of course, as we’ve seen in places like New Zealand and PEI where they did have 14 days of no new cases, they then reopened only to quickly see flare ups. It hasn’t gone away. Its still out there amongst asymptomatics. But we have now put ourselves in a position to tackle those embers without requiring a new lockdown.

Americans unfortunately seem to have passed that point. There are too many cases now for them to test, contact trace, and isolate their way to crushing the curve. The only way they can now get the new exponential growth under control is to do the lockdown again. This will cost them a lot of money. Perhaps another trillion or two. Their hospitals may soon be overflowing without this lockdown. Possibly a 9/11’s worth of deaths everyday this fall if they stay the course. This also means young people with non-covid issues requiring hospitalization will be SOL.

Yep, especially with our neighbours to the South being in the situation they're in, it's still important to be super careful here. The new cases in PEI were traced back to the US.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yep, especially with our neighbours to the South being in the situation they're in, it's still important to be super careful here. The new cases in PEI were back to the US.

Longest undefended border in the world. We have $1.9 billion in trade per day between the two countries. Thousands of business travelers and truck drivers going back and forth each day.

That's the weak point in Canada right now. All it takes is the virus to make it into one warehouse or distribution center, then it travels to the local retail outlets and warehouse, then it hits the public again.

This is why it's important to remain vigilant. Wear those masks. Practice good hand washing practices. All that good stuff.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Our employer just advised that they will not follow OPH's guidance on masks because we are not a Enclosed public space. There's less than 5% wearing masks and people not respecting social distancing....

That's messed up.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Longest undefended border in the world. We have $1.9 billion in trade per day between the two countries. Thousands of business travelers and truck drivers going back and forth each day.

That's the weak point in Canada right now. All it takes is the virus to make it into one warehouse or distribution center, then it travels to the local retail outlets and warehouse, then it hits the public again.

This is why it's important to remain vigilant. Wear those masks. Practice good hand washing practices. All that good stuff.
Just look at this map! :eek:

This map shows why it would be 'terrifying' to open Canada-U.S. border

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wtf... That just doesn't seem real.
image.jpg

Ok so from the article
While the data on the map above is on a more localized level in the United States, which makes it appear more red, there are an overwhemling number of cases compared to Canada.

That makes sense, Canada's map has a dot for each province while the states has dots on a county level or something like that

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's a bit of an illusion for dramatic effect but the point is very clear. Their per capita infection rate is about 15 times our rate. I hope they don't open that border for another year
Yeah, as per my edit, its not as precise for canada. The map comes from john hopkins so i don't think its was made like that for dramatic effect, though i suppose ctv might have chosen to use it for that reason.

It paints a stark contrast though and certainly gets the point across that the two countries are experiencing this very differently.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Got my Sens masks delivered just in time for the push for mandatory use. Will wear them so as not to stress out my fellow man, but hate them physically, hate them psychologically, and seriously question their value in socially-distanced, time-limited shopping scenarios. Mostly, I’ll probably just end up going out even less. I’m already very isolated as a person who lives alone, family out of town, working from home etc. So, basically this mask stuff is making me extra miserable and whiny. Lol.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Now ask yourself this - how many people are hospitalized across Ontario right now because of opioid overdoses? How many people died in the last month from overdoses? (And they are all tragically young.) How many people's cancer diagnosis was missed over the last three and a half months? Yet today our Chief Medical Health Officer spent her day promoting a new law forcing people to wear masks at the grocery store. COVID is real, significant and people need to be aware, but for the love of God we need to put in perspective, get on with our lives, and start focusing on the other pressing public health concerns that have been completely ignored since March. They haven't gone away, as we are about to find out...

Overdoses are not a communicable disease. We can either try to rid ourselves of COVID-19 or we can always be under the specter of having our hospitals overwhelmed by it.

What is the big problem with wearing a mask? It does you no harm to do it and if it can help us stop the spread it is pretty damn selfish to not wear one in public places.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Got my Sens masks delivered just in time for the push for mandatory use. Will wear them so as not to stress out my fellow man, but hate them physically, hate them psychologically, and seriously question their value in socially-distanced, time-limited shopping scenarios. Mostly, I’ll probably just end up going out even less. I’m already very isolated as a person who lives alone, family out of town, working from home etc. So, basically this mask stuff is making me extra miserable and whiny. Lol.
Health Canada recalls thousands of Sens onesies for choking risk | Ottawa Citizen

Watch out.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I need to go shopping for a breathable mask. The only one I have is the one the clinic gave me last time i donated blood. Any recommendations in ottawa? I bartend and serve on a patio and we are being required to wear them today for the entirety of our shift. Other servers that chose to wear them would take them off inside as a reprieve, but now they cant even do that. And those poor poor kitchen guys.. I feel terrible. It's a sauna in there.

Has anyone tried the under armour or Adidas ones? Any recommendations?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Today Ontario recorded zero COVID deaths for the first time since March. The death rate has been dropping like a stone, as has the hospitalization rate - in the last month alone, hospitalizations are down about 75% in Ontario for COVID. IIRC, today showed fewer than 150 hospitalizations province wide. The Ottawa area just hit ten days straight of zero COVID deaths.

Now ask yourself this - how many people are hospitalized across Ontario right now because of opioid overdoses? How many people died in the last month from overdoses? (And they are all tragically young.) How many people's cancer diagnosis was missed over the last three and a half months? Yet today our Chief Medical Health Officer spent her day promoting a new law forcing people to wear masks at the grocery store. COVID is real, significant and people need to be aware, but for the love of God we need to put in perspective, get on with our lives, and start focusing on the other pressing public health concerns that have been completely ignored since March. They haven't gone away, as we are about to find out...

I really don't see the relationship between opioids and a virus that has sparked a global pandemic. Like at all.

Just wear a f***ing mask while you shop, and we'll stay ahead of second wave concerns.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
I really don't see the relationship between opioids and a virus that has sparked a global pandemic. Like at all.

Just wear a f***ing mask while you shop, and we'll stay ahead of second wave concerns.

I would be completely shocked if there hasn't been a clear increase in addictive processes and behaviours throughout this whole situation. To the point that I think it's completely impossible that we don't have worse addicts, new addicts and dead addicts that wouldn't have otherwise been dead. It's actually one of the first things I thought, way back when.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I'll caveat this by saying that i wear a mask out in public

but i personally find the entire response to this is a bit like making it up as you go along. We now have a mandatory situation of having to wear a mask at the point where there's a couple of new cases daily in Ottawa. really? Where was this rule when things were escalating 12 weeks ago? It probably would have had a much larger impact in April than today. I get that it could put the final nail in the coffin so to speak, but it just seems ridiculous to me. This should have been done a loooooong time ago....back when ... you know... a lot of lives could have been saved.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Say what you will about the administration in Canada and how they've handled it, but I'm sure glad we have some semblance of ethical leadership unlike the US.

What a tragic turn of events down there.

Because of the testing, there are more reported cases of CVD19 in the USA .... however, the death rate is dropping.

Is The Pandemic Coming To An End At Last?

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I need to go shopping for a breathable mask. The only one I have is the one the clinic gave me last time i donated blood. Any recommendations in ottawa? I bartend and serve on a patio and we are being required to wear them today for the entirety of our shift. Other servers that chose to wear them would take them off inside as a reprieve, but now they cant even do that. And those poor poor kitchen guys.. I feel terrible. It's a sauna in there.

Has anyone tried the under armour or Adidas ones? Any recommendations?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'll caveat this by saying that i wear a mask out in public

but i personally find the entire response to this is a bit like making it up as you go along. We now have a mandatory situation of having to wear a mask at the point where there's a couple of new cases daily in Ottawa. really? Where was this rule when things were escalating 12 weeks ago? It probably would have had a much larger impact in April than today. I get that it could put the final nail in the coffin so to speak, but it just seems ridiculous to me. This should have been done a loooooong time ago....back when ... you know... a lot of lives could have been saved.
Because they didn't want the public to hoard masks and PPE when this all started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad