Everything Avs...3 day break edition

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram needs to be able to show he can kill penalties in the NHL in order to really start earning a spot over the other guys.

Cole, Graves, and now Timmins are all regulars on the PK, with both Graves and Timmins looking solid in that role.

Byram needs to be able to match that, or its gonna be hard for him to earn a regular spot, as there's not going to be much PP ice time available, its clear that Toews/Girard/Makar have those spots securely locked up right now.

Reactions: Kaizer and McMetal

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Timmins on taxi saves less cap space (1,075,000 Vs 925000) but more real dollars than Cole.
If EJ coming back next game I fully expect Timmins to be sitting. Bednar loves him some cole
Bednar also loves Timmins. He frequently gushes about the first time he saw Timmins play in camp.

If Cole was waiver exempt it would undoubtedly be him going on the taxi squad.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Timmins on taxi saves less cap space (1,075,000 Vs 925000) but more real dollars than Cole.
If EJ coming back next game I fully expect Timmins to be sitting. Bednar loves him some cole

It's a very small difference. And more importantly, Cole has to pass through waivers to be assigned to the taxi squad. It may happen later on in the year if Byram or Timmins continue to impress while Cole struggles... But 2 games into the season there's a 0% chance Sakic is risking losing Cole to waivers without knowing for sure what we're going to get in Timmins/Byram. That defensive depth is far to valuable, even Cole. As a 7/8 Dman Cole is probably better then every other 7D in the league.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It’s a bit more condensed, but that won’t affect Byram.

As of right now, assuming no covid impact, the Avs play 56 games in 116 days. Starting on Tuesday, they play 54 games in 109 days. That's an average of 1 game every 2.01 days for the rest of the year. Essentially every other night.

Compared to last year, they played 70 games in 161 days. In other words one game every 2.30 days. That is a substantial difference. It's the equivalent of basically every 3 games, getting 1 extra day off.

It is not just a little bit more condensed. And, that's all while assuming no Avs game gets effected by Covid. That isn't realistic to expect either. Dallas is going to play 56 games in 108 days when they finally get going, and something like 4 other teams have had schedule adjustments already because of the Dallas situation.

Winnipeg just had its practice cancelled today and the status of Mondays game against Toronto is unknown right now.

This is only going to continue for the next 4 months. When all is said and done most teams in the league are going to be playing games more frequently then even 1 every 2 days.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
On the subject of Cole and capspace, there's actually a cap-related reason for playing Cole instead of healthy scratching him...

With Cole on the ice we'd only have a 20 man roster, so we'd save the maximal amount of capspace. However, if you scratch him (and don't waive him to put him on the taxi squad) then it's at least 21 man roster, meaning carrying 1 extra salary that day.

So basically, unless Cole gets waived and put on the taxi squad it's going to be more costly capwise to scratch Cole to play Timmins/Byram/Gilbert, than it would be to just play Cole.

We probably have enough cap space to be quite flexible and not worry about just one extra salary, but if the intention is to bank as much capspace as possible then this might be a consideration.

Also, Byram's caphit may eventually include bonus payments too, further reducing cap savings if he plays instead of Cole.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah it makes no sense to waive Cole. He's a luxury and would be the best 7D on almost any team and at this point might even be the AVS 8D if you consider Byram + Timmins ahead of him. Moving Timmins to the Taxi Squad just makes sense instead of potentially losing Cole (though I don't think he'll get picked up). We could very easily see Timmins come back up for the game, Cole sits and then Timmins goes back on the Taxi Squad to maximize savings.

On a different note with Jost playing well I'd like to see them try

Nuke - Jost - Kaut
Calvert - PEB - Donskoi

Compher can sit, he seems to be struggling the most right now to get going and maybe needs a couple of days to get back into game shape.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
As of right now, assuming no covid impact, the Avs play 56 games in 116 days. Starting on Tuesday, they play 54 games in 109 days. That's an average of 1 game every 2.01 days for the rest of the year. Essentially every other night.

Compared to last year, they played 70 games in 161 days. In other words one game every 2.30 days. That is a substantial difference. It's the equivalent of basically every 3 games, getting 1 extra day off.

It is not just a little bit more condensed. And, that's all while assuming no Avs game gets effected by Covid. That isn't realistic to expect either. Dallas is going to play 56 games in 108 days when they finally get going, and something like 4 other teams have had schedule adjustments already because of the Dallas situation.

Winnipeg just had its practice cancelled today and the status of Mondays game against Toronto is unknown right now.

This is only going to continue for the next 4 months. When all is said and done most teams in the league are going to be playing games more frequently then even 1 every 2 days.
It’s only 15% more condensed

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
It’s only 15% more condensed

And 50% of the division makes the playoffs. No sense running your D down when they are in a pretty solid spot to make the playoffs. Rather have those players fresh then vs over played in the regular season.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
And 50% of the division makes the playoffs. No sense running your D down when they are in a pretty solid spot to make the playoffs. Rather have those players fresh then vs over played in the regular season.
I agree. Sit Cole indefinitely

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The Avs are in a very good position this season. Their depth at D gives them the opportunity to rest all their dmen even their top-4 guys once in a while to keep everybody fresh and get into the playoffs pretty well rested. Most other teams don't have that luxury and will need to play their top guys most games, if not all of them, in order to make sure they make the playoffs. That will be a huge advantage down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Reactions: Richard88

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Playing vs the Kings and Ducks last year was some of the most boring games to watch, hope that doesn't continue
I think we’ll steamroll them. I just worry about teams gooning it up against the Avs

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Timmins to taxi squad? So EJ is back i guess

It's a strange move since EJ was already on the team and they moved Byram to the taxi squad, which means only 6 d are on the big squad right now. I guess they're just banking up cap space since they don't play until Tuesday since both squads practice together anyways.

Reactions: the_fan

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's a strange move since EJ was already on the team and they moved Byram to the taxi squad, which means only 6 d are on the big squad right now. I guess they're just banking up cap space since they don't play until Tuesday since both squads practice together anyways.

It's this.

Just a simple paper transaction to save cap space while the team is inactive for a couple days. I dont think it means anything regarding what the lineup will look like come Tuesday.

EJ might be back, he might not be.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It's obviously a move to save capspace for a couple of days, by carrying only a 20 man active roster until 3pm on the next game day when we'll presumably see movement to 'activate' Byram and/or Timmins again for the next game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Does anyone really want to see what Cole looks like when he's thrown into a game after missing a couple?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad