Ever play in a busch league?

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I play in a mens contact league southern ontario and its just pathetic how little hockey is played. No one dares play without a full cage its about the dirtiest as it gets.

Usually for the 1st period and 3rd period we dont even need the puck, its "give someone a concussion" time and everyone just runs around the ice charging instead of actually play hockey as a result the games usually are won the the pp.

The refs have such a workload they cant call anything borderline or the game would take 2+ hours.

I have really become sick of this brand of hockey I am a big guy and enjoy contact but it seems that contact in the league is used mainly to injure other players, not to get possesion of the puck. There are alot of former jr players in the league so the skill level is right up there but its not hockey what we play. This probably will be the last season I will play because I cant afford to shred my knee up or just lose time from work because of injury like last season.

Its not fun going to games and thats why I play hockey for fun.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I play in a mens contact league southern ontario and its just pathetic how little hockey is played. No one dares play without a full cage its about the dirtiest as it gets.

Usually for the 1st period and 3rd period we dont even need the puck, its "give someone a concussion" time and everyone just runs around the ice charging instead of actually play hockey as a result the games usually are won the the pp.

The refs have such a workload they cant call anything borderline or the game would take 2+ hours.

I have really become sick of this brand of hockey I am a big guy and enjoy contact but it seems that contact in the league is used mainly to injure other players, not to get possesion of the puck. There are alot of former jr players in the league so the skill level is right up there but its not hockey what we play. This probably will be the last season I will play because I cant afford to shred my knee up or just lose time from work because of injury like last season.

Its not fun going to games and thats why I play hockey for fun.

Wow, the rare men's league that allows contact. I guess there's a good reason why most beer leagues are non-check, and this sounds like it.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Hank, Thanks for the kind words for my Son, Hank. HE has had a lot of fun and success. As a spectator I am proud of him regardless of the performance he gives. Just the level of his dedication to the position is impressive. He is now a Pee Wee Major. His Mite year, after that scrimmage against Fort Erie saw him go 18-1-2 with 11 shut outs(Tier III/A). His Squirt Major(Tier I/AAA) Season saw him finish with a 32-2-3 record w/9 shut outs, GAA .984 and a S% .967. Best Stats in the state but the power ranking for Empire West moved him down to 4th.

Welcome to the club. The youngest years as a mini-mite and mite were my favorite years of watching the little guy play. Best wishes to you and yours. I hope you have as much fun as we have over the last 8 years.

Alexander as a 4.5 year(roller) his first season...We had to carry him to the far end at period ends cause he would trip over the gear and get embarrassed. Once you put him down in net...he was a little demon.

gator4.jpg

Ring Bearer:
Rings.jpg

Mite year/ blocker save:

00000074.jpg

Summer Camp: Can you tell who the shooter is? Alex dropped on the deke but pulled one of those Hasek Moves, pushing the stick out to buy time while brining the glove around to slam at the post. Stopped the goal...

Alex_Dave.jpg

Shooter is Dave Christian: Team USA 1980

Squirt season:

00000054.jpg

3 on 0 stop Vs a GTHL(toronto) All Stars...

3_on_0.jpg

And last season End....

0246.jpg

I probably should start a "brag/show off your kids thread but I just couldnt resist.

Hahaha. Those are some great pics.
Yeah, I'm very excited to get my son into a lot of sports. It's not because I want him to be a pro player or stud athlete (although, either would be nice) but rather, like you said, to simply watch him play and compete.
I loved playing sports as a kid and my parents tell me all the time how watching me and my brothers play competive sports was some of the best times of their lives.

Hope your kids continue to do well and have fun.

weezman

Wow, the rare men's league that allows contact. I guess there's a good reason why most beer leagues are non-check, and this sounds like it.

I've played in leagues where even though its non-check there are still guys out there that are only there to hurt someone. Its weak.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I've played in leagues where even though its non-check there are still guys out there that are only there to hurt someone. Its weak.

It's because hockey players hide behind a bunch of crap 'non-written' rules that allow meathead players to lose their tempers and act out any thought of aggression they might have.

Had a bad day at work? Go ahead and splatter some unsuspecting soul into the boards in a non-contact league. If he has a problem with it he should drop the gloves. Otherwise respect 'the code', S.T.F.U. and keep skating.

Hockey is the only sport on this planet that encourages people to act like children and not control their temper. Players are constantly having tantrums on the referees and opposing players. How else do you explain a sport that promotes PIM's. The same PIM"s that allow your opposition an unfair advantage to score a goal.
How many times have you heard or read a GM saying "We really like this kid. He can score goals and he racks up the PIM's". All the time. Now, when's the last time you heard of a NFL GM saying "We gotta pick up this DB. He's big, fast and he's racked up a tonne of pass interference calls".

And these aren't even my words. Ken Dryden has mentioned this numerous times before. Hockey is a great sport but it promotes childish reactions.
I've lost my temper a number of times while playing baseball, basketball, footbal and even boxing. But only in hockey was I ever allowed to act out with a childish temper tantrum and recieve pat on the back for it.

Case in point: Look at the Edmonton-Detroit game on Saturday. Dany Markov caught Jarett Stoll with a perfectly clean body check. A check that is 100% legal in the rule book. What happened after the hit was delivered? Ethan Moreau tried to kill Markov. Can you imagine if Jason Taylor sacked Payton Manning only to be KO'd by Marvin Harrison afterwards?

I know this has gone completely off topic but I had to rant about this for a second. There will be a LOT of people here that disagree with me and say "Don't be a p*ssy. This is a mans game! But in reality, it's a game played by men who are allowed to act like children at times. That includes the pro game and busch leagues.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I defintely agree. When fighting is a 2 minute penalty, it does send a message. I know that Youth Hockey and Adult Rec dont go so light on it but the pro leagues set the example. On the other hand, what do you expect when you put 10 people on the ice with sticks in hand? lol The culture is that its part of hockey. I disagree but there isnt much one can do about it. Being a Goalie family, its more removed from our experiance with hockey. We mostly spectate the most brutal part of the game.

By the way, Hank or anyone else...if you happen to be in the Buffalo/Rochester area for a game drop me an e-mail and I would be very willing to come photograph yours/childs play at no cost to you.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I defintely agree. When fighting is a 2 minute penalty, it does send a message. I know that Youth Hockey and Adult Rec dont go so light on it but the pro leagues set the example. On the other hand, what do you expect when you put 10 people on the ice with sticks in hand? lol The culture is that its part of hockey. I disagree but there isnt much one can do about it. Being a Goalie family, its more removed from our experiance with hockey. We mostly spectate the most brutal part of the game.

By the way, Hank or anyone else...if you happen to be in the Buffalo/Rochester area for a game drop me an e-mail and I would be very willing to come photograph yours/childs play at no cost to you.

I will definately take you up on that offer if the situation arrives.

Thanks MikeD!

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I guess for your Canadians that would include the Fort Erie, Niagara falls area, basically with in about 35-40 miles of Buffalo. I would go as far as Mississauga to the north east and Woodstock Ont to the north west. Just make a note for future reference of SPORT ZONE PHOTOGRAPHY and my email at [email protected] in the e-mail mention HF boards and the game date/time and player number.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

it is so stupid belive me, I think its one of the last leagues around that do let contact go. I have to work the next day I got bills to pay its not worth it, people should play this game for social and entertainmet reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad