Ever play in a busch league?

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Hank, your league sounds like it has it all worked out. I like the idea of a general draft. None of the adult leagues here do that. No doubt about it on the Canadian love of hockey. I recall watching my sons team as a mite playing the Fort Erie All Stars team. A full hour of scrimmage and Our team did not put on shot on net. The FE coach would rattle the door latch and the kids would fly into line changes on the fly like little pros. They played a solid positional game with crisp passing and strong skating ability. My little guy faced 57 shots allowing 5 goals. After the game the FE coach came into the locker room, went straight to my son, shook his hand and walked straight back out with out a word. Its something my little guy has and prob will never forget. The team dominated in all aspects, showed great sportsmanship and were a credit to Canadian hockey, for sure.

Even here in the buffalo area, you know that to face the best competition you have to head north across the border. Not to slight the local American teams. There is skill(Tier I) but over all it isnt as well developed at any given age bracket as we see from the Canadian organizations.

Yeah, it's a great league and the redraft every year really keeps the league interesting, fun and politely competitive. Of course, there's always a few meatheads out there but a LOT less than in other leagues I've played in.

And I'm delighted to hear about how a Canadian team represented itself well. Like you mentioned in an earlier post that's not always the case.
I've seen some Canadian teams head south of the border and act completely devoid of class. It's embarrasing.
In the end it all depends on the coach of the team. I've seen some coaches that were complete idiots while others conduct themselves with dignity and take into account that it's still a game and it's children that are playing it.

P.S. It sounds like your son did you proud that game. 57 shots is a lot for an adult let alone a young kid. Kudos to him. I hope he continues finding success.
I have a 3 year old son and I just got him his own pair of skates. So far he thinks they're pretty cool to walk around in. Skating will be the objective over the next two years and then maybe minor hockey. I don't want to rush him into anything too quickly. The last thing I want to do is sour his taste for my favourite sport. But so far he seems to like it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I got jumped once by a few guys after a hockey game where I had scored 4 goals including the winning goal in overtime to eliminate them from the playoffs. I was getting into my car after the game and a bunch of guys (4 or 5, I don't really remember) jumped me in the parking lot. Gutless pukes...They left me there bleeding from the back of my head and they smashed a window on my car too. Somehow, I managed to chase down their car and get their license plate even though I had blood completely blinding me in one eye. Then the cops told me they couldn't really do anything because there was no proof that they were the ones driving the car (such BS). It took me a few weeks and a ton of stiches to recover...Missed the rest of the hockey season obviously and I had some temporary trouble with short term memory but it's cleared up now. Had a concussion and bruised kidneys (my pee was pink for a few days).

They didn't play in that league again the next year, I never saw them again and the cops never ended up doing anything. Worst part is the league wasn't even THAT competitive...We all were basically having fun and nobody took it THAT seriously.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I got jumped once by a few guys after a hockey game where I had scored 4 goals including the winning goal in overtime to eliminate them from the playoffs. I was getting into my car after the game and a bunch of guys (4 or 5, I don't really remember) jumped me in the parking lot. Gutless pukes...They left me there bleeding from the back of my head and they smashed a window on my car too. Somehow, I managed to chase down their car and get their license plate even though I had blood completely blinding me in one eye. Then the cops told me they couldn't really do anything because there was no proof that they were the ones driving the car (such BS). It took me a few weeks and a ton of stiches to recover...Missed the rest of the hockey season obviously and I had some temporary trouble with short term memory but it's cleared up now. Had a concussion and bruised kidneys (my pee was pink for a few days).

They didn't play in that league again the next year, I never saw them again and the cops never ended up doing anything. Worst part is the league wasn't even THAT competitive...We all were basically having fun and nobody took it THAT seriously.

Well apparently you did if you scored 4 goals :sarcasm:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
What is a guy to do? Stop shooting? Honestly, in adult rec it isnt unusual to see double digits on the scoreboard. Hat tricks can be common place. You can also see a team with only a line and a half so there is lots of time for a player to get a good number of goals in one game.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Hank, Thanks for the kind words for my Son, Hank. HE has had a lot of fun and success. As a spectator I am proud of him regardless of the performance he gives. Just the level of his dedication to the position is impressive. He is now a Pee Wee Major. His Mite year, after that scrimmage against Fort Erie saw him go 18-1-2 with 11 shut outs(Tier III/A). His Squirt Major(Tier I/AAA) Season saw him finish with a 32-2-3 record w/9 shut outs, GAA .984 and a S% .967. Best Stats in the state but the power ranking for Empire West moved him down to 4th.

Welcome to the club. The youngest years as a mini-mite and mite were my favorite years of watching the little guy play. Best wishes to you and yours. I hope you have as much fun as we have over the last 8 years.

Alexander as a 4.5 year(roller) his first season...We had to carry him to the far end at period ends cause he would trip over the gear and get embarrassed. Once you put him down in net...he was a little demon.

gator4.jpg

Ring Bearer:
Rings.jpg

Mite year/ blocker save:

00000074.jpg

Summer Camp: Can you tell who the shooter is? Alex dropped on the deke but pulled one of those Hasek Moves, pushing the stick out to buy time while brining the glove around to slam at the post. Stopped the goal...

Alex_Dave.jpg

Shooter is Dave Christian: Team USA 1980

Squirt season:

00000054.jpg

3 on 0 stop Vs a GTHL(toronto) All Stars...

3_on_0.jpg

And last season End....

0246.jpg

I probably should start a "brag/show off your kids thread but I just couldnt resist.

KariyaIsGod*

I would have gotten a group together, found them and delivered swift retribution. People like that make me sick. It's just a damn hockey game.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I wished....lol They are two of my goalie friends in Wisconsin at the FDL blue line arena in Fon Du Lac. My wife would have never even considered getting married on ice. Secondly, you would NEVER catch me in a DALLAS STARS jersey. NO FRIGGIN GOAL!

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I would have gotten a group together, found them and delivered swift retribution. People like that make me sick. It's just a damn hockey game.

I tried...Believe me. I couldn't find them anywhere. And I don't have the license plate because I gave it to the cops and they never gave it back to me.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
What is a guy to do? Stop shooting? Honestly, in adult rec it isnt unusual to see double digits on the scoreboard. Hat tricks can be common place. You can also see a team with only a line and a half so there is lots of time for a player to get a good number of goals in one game.

Saaarrcasssssmmmm.....

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

I'd take a brick and smash every single car window, and a few windows in the crib of the car's owner. You said you have the license plate #, you could've found it.

Sorry that something to so gutless happened to you. Some people are animals.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'd take a brick and smash every single car window, and a few windows in the crib of the car's owner. You said you have the license plate #, you could've found it.

Sorry that something to so gutless happened to you. Some people are animals.

I don't have the license plate # anymore, as I took it down right after it happened and gave the only copy I had to the cops...

2x4*

OO MikeD the wings huh? I always liked playing against them. We usually beat them ;) Of course this was a few years ago in the pee wee and bantam divisions.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I play on two women's teams and a co-ed team here.

After a playoff game (that we lost by the way) a few of us were walking out of the rink and five or six of their larger players were sitting out by their cars and started calling us on.

Being me I just started laughing. Then one of their girls goes "You better run #14" to which I replied "Why, its not like you're going to catch me."

By this point the rest of my teammates had made their way to their cars (they're all smaller than me and most of them are beginner or have only played for a year).

I walked over to my truck and threw my stuff in the back. Their HUGE defenseman (I swear she's bigger than most of the men I play with) started beaking me off and was threatening to smash the window of my truck. Since I am the team Captain I had the roster list that has everyone's name, numbers and contact information. I just waved it at her while I was doing the one finger salute.

To make things even better we played them for the first time last week (winter season instead of summer). We were on the penalty kill and I stole the puck from her when she was playing the point and went in and scored short handed. She was PISSED and two handed me across the wrist that she broke during the summer (yes, Im playing rec hockey on my broken wrist). I have a soft cast on it so it didn't really do anything other than make her look like a psycho. She got 2 minutes for slashing and a game misconduct and is getting taken to the disciplinary board.

Ah, it was a good time.

2x4*

UMMMM the game was started by the French back in 1605. It was brought to Canada by some French college kids who introduced it to YOU GUYS. Its not YOUR game. IT belongs to the world. You should know your history rather than spew the propaganda established to give Canadians at least one thing to be proud of....

As for dangling me? Good luck on that one...If ya have the balls lets set up a day for skate and shoot. Your In southern Ontario so Crystal ridge, leisureplex, Hamburg Nike base or Leisure rinks should be doable. lets see how good you really are? I will let you take 10 breakaways on me and if you put more in than Mike Pecca did(2) I will let all these fine folks know how good you are. Chances are though...you will be :teach: by this 48 year old, 5' 7" , BUSCH LEAGUE goalie. Or is this yet another case of your mouth writing a check your *** cant cash?

MikeD i want to shoot on you!! :yo: In a friednly meeting though. It would be cool to play with some people on here.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Saaarrcasssssmmmm.....

oops, my bad. Didnt pick up on that. Sorry, dude.

Briere,

It would be a riot. Its great to be able to meet up with felllow BB members on ice. Who did you play for that you played against the Wings? Regals? They had a solid organization from top to bottom but the last year or so has seen a big decline. They are the oldest youth hockey organization in the US. I always felt that the Wings relied on their draw to bring better players to make up for the lack of depth in their Coaching staff. They started with very good players and ended the season with very good players. verry little development which is sad to see. With the Hawks they start with average players, many coming first year out of house for Tier II, and Coach them into very good players by season end, only to see them go to another association in search of the win column. The Hamburg organization has been a great time for us.

Drop me an email at [email protected] and we can fig out a skate and shoot that works. Pepsi, Holiday, leisure or Nike(hamburg) I am on third shift now:( ...My youngest son also loves to meet BBers. Would prob be the both of us. Leisure, hamburg and Holiday let Alex do the adult skate and shoots. I dont know about Pepsi though. If you have done the local Skate and shoots you might have already faced me. Goalie wearing Brodeur Heatons and Normally a Hasek Olympic Or NHL jersey.

Last edited:

2x4*

oops, my bad. Didnt pick up on that. Sorry, dude.

Briere,

It would be a riot. Its great to be able to meet up with felllow BB members on ice. Who did you play for that you played against the Wings? Regals? They had a solid organization from top to bottom but the last year or so has seen a big decline. They are the oldest youth hockey organization in the US. I always felt that the Wings relied on their draw to bring better players to make up for the lack of depth in their Coaching staff. They started with very good players and ended the season with very good players. verry little development which is sad to see. With the Hawks they start with average players, many coming first year out of house for Tier II, and Coach them into very good players by season end, only to see them go to another association in search of the win column. The Hamburg organization has been a great time for us.

Drop me an email at [email protected] and we can fig out a skate and shoot that works. Pepsi, Holiday, leisure or Nike(hamburg) I am on third shift now:( ...My youngest son also loves to meet BBers. Would prob be the both of us. Leisure, hamburg and Holiday let Alex do the adult skate and shoots. I dont know about Pepsi though. If you have done the local Skate and shoots you might have already faced me. Goalie wearing Brodeur Heatons and Normally a Hasek Olympic Or NHL jersey.

Pepsi lets any age attend. The sessions are an hour and 20 minutes, sometimes longer. If you go there early in the morning at the 9am skate, and there isnt anyone on after you can be on forever. I was on the ice for over 2 hours yesterday.

As for who I played for when I played the wings, I was playing with Amherst.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Must have been scrimmages. Amherst is not part of Empire West. I dont think I have ever seen Amherst play. WNYAHL? I will check out the ice times. I finish up work at around 6:30am unless I work over. Will let you know by email and hopefully will see you at Pepsi.

2x4*

We played them in the WNY Select Tournaments. Beat them in the championship once too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->