Ever play in a busch league?

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
I work at my local rink for an NHL'ers dad who will be unnamed lol...anyways, he convinced mt to join this saturday night league, so i went out last night just for it to be a gongshow, wore a half vise, whatever right?

im a finesse player, i'll work in the corners, but depending on the circumstance i'll lose my temper maybe once a year. last year i was playin with kids my own age, so i was agitating a little more, mainly cuz i wasn't getting the shifts or the pucks i wanted.

last night, some guy two handed me in the face in the corner in a COMPETETIVE rec league. in retaliation, i threw the DIRTIEST elbow i think anyone possibly could (ala pavel bure againt the stars back in 93 or 94 search for the clip). the guy was like 30 years old, twice my size, threatening to kill me.

meanwhile, im bleeding profusely from my forehead. i seriously could not believe this garbage. i'm not a fan of wearing birdcages, but in this league you cant' go without. guys are SWINGING there sticks at your head. I was scared of the guy, not scared of a dirty slash, a high stick, or a hard hit or w/e but i was scared the guy would run me from behind or bertuzzi me. instead, one of his other teamates two handed me in the face with his stick which hit my visor...all with 2 minutes left in the game.

anyone have some similar horror stories of the busch leagues here? this league is all trailor trash, guys who live for it...our team is pretty laid back just a buncha good guys who can play some puck...it was like linin up in miracle against the russians against these guys, they had the dirtiest setup and knew what they were doing like a real team...it was ridiculous.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
A month ago a guy told me, "I'm going to kill you!" just because I got in his way. I replied that he should do it quickly as there was only two minutes left...

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I had a guy that wanted me to go to the parking lot with him for a beating. I am easily twice his age. I told him to make it fast as we had beer waiting in the locker room for me.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I had a guy that wanted me to go to the parking lot with him for a beating. I am easily twice his age. I told him to make it fast as we had beer waiting in the locker room for me.

:handclap:

Those bullies on the ice are probably the same bullies we had to face in the school backyard after school, humiliating us in front of smiling and laughing faces. :shakehead If someone wants to take it outside, I tell him I've just called some friends: The cops! I pay taxes, so I don't hesitate to use the services I'm paying for. If I have to call them every day, I'll call them every day.

It's always better to ignore the verbal abuse during the games. I don't care being called names. But when comes the physical abuse, then I would prefer to leave the league that tolerates it.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
i think everything should be left on the ice, none of this parking lot ********. thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

hahaha make it quick, i like that.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
If somebody f---'s with you, you defend yourself to the fullest extent possible. Kudos for manning up about it.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
If somebody f---'s with you, you defend yourself to the fullest extent possible. Kudos for manning up about it.

thanks. the cut on my nose is RIDICULOUS. i cant believe someone would swing a stick at me two handed.

the guy told me he was "gunna bury me in the ice like the loonie at salt lake city'

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I hate people that do **** like that. That dude should be banned for being a moron. I once took a 2 hander right above my mouth and right below my nose. Talk about lucky.

KariyaIsGod*

:handclap:

Those bullies on the ice are probably the same bullies we had to face in the school backyard after school, humiliating us in front of smiling and laughing faces. :shakehead If someone wants to take it outside, I tell him I've just called some friends: The cops! I pay taxes, so I don't hesitate to use the services I'm paying for. If I have to call them every day, I'll call them every day.

It's always better to ignore the verbal abuse during the games. I don't care being called names. But when comes the physical abuse, then I would prefer to leave the league that tolerates it.

Calling the cops?

Excessive...

You are right though... Your physical well-being is not worth a weekly hockey game.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I work at my local rink for an NHL'ers dad who will be unnamed lol...anyways, he convinced mt to join this saturday night league, so i went out last night just for it to be a gongshow, wore a half vise, whatever right?

im a finesse player, i'll work in the corners, but depending on the circumstance i'll lose my temper maybe once a year. last year i was playin with kids my own age, so i was agitating a little more, mainly cuz i wasn't getting the shifts or the pucks i wanted.

last night, some guy two handed me in the face in the corner in a COMPETETIVE rec league. in retaliation, i threw the DIRTIEST elbow i think anyone possibly could (ala pavel bure againt the stars back in 93 or 94 search for the clip). the guy was like 30 years old, twice my size, threatening to kill me.

meanwhile, im bleeding profusely from my forehead. i seriously could not believe this garbage. i'm not a fan of wearing birdcages, but in this league you cant' go without. guys are SWINGING there sticks at your head. I was scared of the guy, not scared of a dirty slash, a high stick, or a hard hit or w/e but i was scared the guy would run me from behind or bertuzzi me. instead, one of his other teamates two handed me in the face with his stick which hit my visor...all with 2 minutes left in the game.

anyone have some similar horror stories of the busch leagues here? this league is all trailor trash, guys who live for it...our team is pretty laid back just a buncha good guys who can play some puck...it was like linin up in miracle against the russians against these guys, they had the dirtiest setup and knew what they were doing like a real team...it was ridiculous.

What a bunch of utter creeps.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
thanks. the cut on my nose is RIDICULOUS. i cant believe someone would swing a stick at me two handed.

the guy told me he was "gunna bury me in the ice like the loonie at salt lake city'

I've been involved in beer leagues that got out of control but nothing to that extent. I know this is extreme but I would seriously consider pressing charges. There's a huge difference between elbowing or getting into a scrum compared to a two-hander across the head or face. That is very serious and could do serious harm.
I would quit that league if I were you. I played in a league where there was a couple of teams that treated each game like it was game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Eventually a lot of the other teams/players got tired of it too and the league is basically dead because they can't get enough guys to play.
I'm married with a son and another on the way. I don't need to get seriously hurt playing a beer league game. Afterall, sports are supposed to be fun. We're not getting paid to play and most of the time we're playing at rediculous hours. It's not worth the hassle.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
geez mike i reallye dont know- it MIGHT have been the dirty elbow i got 5 minutes for after the guy whacked me in the face with the stick? im not too sure tho.

you're going to get soooo many more idiots in beer leagues than you are in any other level of hockey. if its any league under 16, you gotta answer to your parents and you're coaches and other parents if you hurt anyone...in juniors, if you pulled anything like that you'd be the target of the league. these idiots have reallie no one to answer to, and since youre usually playing with your friends in a beer league, your friends are probably yardsales as well. pretty gutless, yeah i quit to play college intramurals which is 10x better and more competetive.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
That's nothing....You oughtta try officiating in them beer leagues.

Talk about adventurous!!!

must be a gongshow but if you make the right calls **** shouldn't get REALLIE out of control. although some stuff is beyond anyone except the (often times) combatants control, the refs play a HUGE part in hostility between teams.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
beer league is all thats left to us Old guys. Playing in them for a little over two decades it wasnt any worse than that of organized youth hockey. sounds like the ones that cant hack the league are the gutless ones. I just dont buy your version of the events. Guys dont just target someone like that for nothing. Maybe you ran at the mouth and your butt couldnt cash the check it wrote? :biglaugh: You MUST havee something pretty stupid to get that kind of attention considering that there is the LAW to answer to. Adult rec leagues(management)will call in the cops at the drop of a hat. Players dont have to...

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
beer league is all thats left to us Old guys. Playing in them for a little over two decades it wasnt any worse than that of organized youth hockey. sounds like the ones that cant hack the league are the gutless ones. I just dont buy your version of the events. Guys dont just target someone like that for nothing. Maybe you ran at the mouth and your butt couldnt cash the check it wrote? :biglaugh: You MUST havee something pretty stupid to get that kind of attention considering that there is the LAW to answer to. Adult rec leagues(management)will call in the cops at the drop of a hat. Players dont have to...

Great point. Where were the refs? In Our league the refs are fair when it comes to cheapshots and fisticuffs. Who was put in the box and for what and a third man?
Where there any suspensions for a two handed hit to the head with blood?
Most of those thirty somethings do live for this because thats all the excersize they can get when you mix in career wives and kids into your life. This is the only "fun" some guys have.
I don't know where you live, but here in L.A. its quite pricey to play. And having once lived in a trailer I think you have some prejudgements you need to get over if you want to play in a league for "fun" with adults.
Thirty somethings do get fed up with twenty somethings who think rec leagues are something they are not, and especialy players who think they are something they are not.
I get e-mails like this all the time because I help run our league as an administrator. Theres usually twenty different versions of one little incident that gets blow out of proportion by the ones involved.
Keeping your cool and realizing its just a game and your there for fun is contagious if your vocal about it. Trash talk has its place if your cool about it, but if your a younger smart alec you should expect to be put in your place by those thirty,fourty, fifty and sixty somethings.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006

i live in an incredibly white trash city, as far as the shot to the face went, the ref (who i know from working with who is an idiot) said the only reason he called a highstick was cuz he saw i was bleeding. i dont have to form a complaint with anyone because other players already did, so i don't care what you belive or not, id dangle you.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
i live in an incredibly white trash city, as far as the shot to the face went, the ref (who i know from working with who is an idiot) said the only reason he called a highstick was cuz he saw i was bleeding. i dont have to form a complaint with anyone because other players already did, so i don't care what you belive or not, id dangle you.

Guess we now know that MikeD was pretty much spot on. You have an attitude that you're always right and everyone else is stupid white trash. You might better get a full cage, you're going to need it.

KariyaIsGod*

You have no clue who he is or how good he is yet, you would dangle him?

OK... :shakehead

I guarantee there are better players on these boards than you... :eek:

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
Guess we now know that MikeD was pretty much spot on. You have an attitude that you're always right and everyone else is stupid white trash. You might better get a full cage, you're going to need it.

shut up buddy, i do live in a white trash city, youd probably know a bit about it eh?

i'm sure theyre are a few better players than me on here, but remember yanks, you guys are playin our game.

KariyaIsGod*

shut up buddy, i do live in a white trash city, youd probably know a bit about it eh?

i'm sure theyre are a few better players than me on here, but remember yanks, you guys are playin our game.

What city do you live in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->