Ever meet a player and be disappointed/surprised?

notwolfy

Nov 15, 2013
Roenick is notorious for being a terrific guy with fans. HIm and Barkley are probably the most gregarious athletes in the world. No wonder they are such good friends.
I was in law enforcement, my friend John and I were in uniform eating lunch at Frankies restaurant in Park Ridge Il. We went to pay for our meals when we were done and the cashier told us it was already covered. We said by who and was told by a guy sitting at the side table. We went over and it turned out to be Jeremy Roenick, we just thanked him had some small talk and we were on our way. But it was very nice for him to acknowledge us in that way.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I don't have too much interaction with hockey players other than signing events. The Columbus Blue Jackets have held numerous signing events for fans, season ticket holders.. I used to frequent them with my parents a few years back (when I was 20-25 years old). We were at a time trying to get all the core/roster player to sign our CBJ flag. We've since really slacked the last 2-3 years in doing that.

Most players were super good with the fans, minus a couple exceptions.. James Wisniewski was a fan favorite for Columbus. Ryan Johansen was super cool when I asked him to sign the jersey I had of him when he was just entering his 2nd year in the NHL.

My dad has personally ran into/talked with Mark Letestu's dad, I believe at a bar in either Columbus or Nashville following a game.

My only "not-forced" interaction with hockey personnel... In mid december 2016 (Middle of the 16 game win streak) I took my girlfriend out to a nice dinner, a quick walk around the stadium, and picked up my tickets in roll call.. While waiting, I see Jarmo Kekalainen (GM of the Blue Jackets) talking with somebody- I think I'm the only person who recognized he was there. I turn to my girlfriend- "That's Jarmo Kekalainen"- Girlfriend- (politely) "Ok, who is he?". Explained that it's the GM/makes the hockey decisions with the Jackets. I then thought about trying to discreetly get a photo of him, my girlfriend even acted like I was taking a photo of her, but I never did. Didn't talk to him or anything.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I've seen Finnish NHL players a few times in public places and it never even occured to me that I'd go out there and bother them. That would be considered very rude in Finland.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Met Dion Pheneuf at a furniture store once.....was with my then 8 year old daughter.

Was a really nice guy. Talked to my kid for a few minutes, even though she had no clue who he was.

Just a real nice, down to earth guy.

Never got the "arrogant asshole" he was labeled with.

One other story, not really related to the thread, well kinda.

I have a connection with the Leach family, friends with his daughter Brandi. Which in turn connects me to the Clarke family, as they are as thick as thieves. Results in some interesting stories to say the least.

Anyway in Game 4 of the SCF we all know that Hextall went ape shit on Nillson. What I found to be even more shocking than what he did, let's face it it was pretty out there even for him, was that when the team came in after the game had ended Hextall was on the phone to his young daughter singing a lullaby to her in the dressing room.

I guess the whole team just looked at him like he was certifiable......and he probably was.

Still love him though.......

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
A looooooooong time ago I went to a Peterborough Petes alumni game and afterwards everyone was there to chat and sign autographs. I had a Greg Millen rookie card I brought for him to sign and when I placed it down he started to chuckle and said "Oh no.." His teenage daughter was sitting with him at the table and started to laugh so much at his hair and goofy appearance on the card. We all had a good laugh and be signed it and told me that he'll never live that one down.
Seemed like a nice guy.

Also I hung out in some of the same circles as Cory Perry and had the misfortune of meeting him a bunch. And yes, he was a douche bag even before he was drafted, can confirm.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I also totally forgot about Brayden Point (Pointer)........he's really good friends with my nephew, they played in the Dub together. He's at the lake house a lot in the summer, well not as much any more.

Good kid.....pretty quiet until you get some liquid courage in him.

euro35

Oct 31, 2009
I also totally forgot about Brayden Point (Pointer)........he's really good friends with my nephew, they played in the Dub together. He's at the lake house a lot in the summer, well not as much any more.

Good kid.....pretty quiet until you get some liquid courage in him.
ya ok and ill bite whos your nephew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad