Ever meet a player and be disappointed/surprised?

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
Again, I'd be willing to bet the owner of the bar doesn't want Doughty waiting in line

If it were my bar, I'd want him to come right in, enjoy himself, and hopefully bring some teammates with him the next time he visits

Being known as "the bar where the LA Kings hangout" isn't going to be bad for business

Again, more clarification is needed. A bar right next to Staples Center, sure. A strip joint in Nolanville, TX? Not so much. Having a Kings player(s) or hockey player will not be a draw in every situation of for every demographic.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
1) Gudbranson, I shit you not, spent one summer living on a mattress in the boiler room of an apartment complex that my friend lived in. The furnace was in his 5 friends unit and he just dragged a mattress down there and slept next to it. A lot of women in Ottawa probably have a weird story about going home with an NHLer only to be brought down to the furnace room.

We all drank on the roof of their apartment building a few times, Guddy drank but never smoked (mandatory testing on your ELC) and he was always controlling the music - not in a controlling way, but in a "this guy loves music and has a wide variety to play" kind of way. He was super nice and chill, I never liked him as a player before that but meeting him made me really want him to succeed.

2) I met an 18 year old Karlsson at the draft in Ottawa and I told him I hope he can make up for the loss of Redden. He told me he would try!

3) Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky could not be more opposite. I'll let you guess which one stopped and talked with a group of fans for 10+ minutes and which one would pretend to take calls so he could walk briskly past fans without making eye contact.

4) Giroux was a total jerk. I worked for someone who works for him and I told him about something I had just finished for him and handed him two shots. He took both and gave one to his friend without saying a word. I was 17 at the time so for him to punk me like that was pretty uncool.

5) Borowiecki is a gem. I met him at an ice cream shop in Vancouver in the off-season. He had a pretty big belly but was obviously a tank underneath it. That, combined with the fact that a guy looking like him was with a girl looking like a hockey wife led me to be pretty confident it was him. His gummy smile gave it away, though. He was super kind, offered me a picture (I said no thanks), and asked me for a dinner recommendation.

6) Bryan Murray was the biggest hockey fan I ever met. I encountered him a lot and he would always respond to my questions like I was a member of his staff (even when I was a kid). RIP to one of the best people out there.

EDIT: I've also seen the Sedin's out for runs together... what a weird sight that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: sufferer

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No. There is a lineup to get in with or without Doughty at the door. They literally don't need his business.

And Doughty has more money than all of them combined

You seem to think each customer brings in the same amount of money, but that's not how it works

A rich celebrity might spend thousands of dollars in a single night. You don't keep that person waiting in line

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
It isn't in LA. NHL players frequent the same 3 bars here all the time with no special treatment. No one cares who you are.

It also isn't the bar where "bottles" are being bought. It is a bar that advertises dollar beers. It is packed regardless and makes a ton of money doing so.

In that case then yeah, catering to Doughty provides no marketing advantage. That's what I was getting at with my post. I live in central Texas and often party in Dallas. The clubs draw just fine with others and Doughty would just be another person. If anything, management catering to his b*tch fit would drive other customers away.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I always find it amusing and very sad that these 40 year old man children gush over athletes and then they act offended when an athlete brushes them off or treats them like a weirdo. You are a grown ass man, stop blushing. The only time this is acceptable is when you are a kid, so the athletes that treat kids rudely are the ones you can really judge as jerks. But the rest of the stories seems like players just wanting to mind their own business and not get harrassed by Joe blow stalker or Pierre Mcguire.

How about if you meet an athlete try and not talk about hockey? You would be surprised how most of them respond when you treat them like fellow human beings with just another job and not some hyped up legend in your head. Stop asking for an autograph, they can tell you are creepy or trying to make some money off their signature. I feel sorry for the nice athletes that are too polite and too decent of human beings to brush those kinds of people off.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

You seem to think each customer brings in the same amount of money, but that's not how it works

A rich celebrity might spend thousands of dollars in a single night. You don't keep that person waiting in line

You don't get the point. He isn't bringing in any extra money. Dollar beers is the point of the bar.

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine

And there will be customers who spend more than the celebrity, regardless of their income. I guarantee you. For all we know Doughty could have only bought a few drinks, while others in that line were part of a bachelor party about to shut the place down. Rich people spending more is not always a given.
If anything, withholding service levels to others to cater to one person being a demanding baby may drive other customers away. When added together, the others may spend more. Hell, maybe one person alone would have spent more. You just don't know and can't assume. I agree with you a little bit if it's a dead bar in London, ONT or next to the Staples Center. Other than that, if it consistently does well and is in a location where a Kings player has little to no drawing power (majority of the United States), I don't think your point applies.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The only time this is acceptable is when you are a kid,

How about if you meet an athlete try and not talk about hockey? You would be surprised how most of them respond when you treat them like fellow human beings with just another job and not some hyped up legend in your head. Stop asking for an autograph, they can tell you are creepy or trying to make some money off their signature. I feel sorry for the nice athletes that are too polite and too decent of human beings to brush those kinds of people off.
Or we can just let people enjoy things the way they like to. Everyone is entitled to enjoy their hobbies in whatever way they choose.

I know a lot of people who just like having autographed memorabilia for their collection to commemorate times when they met their favorite athletes, or are getting signatures for their kids or someone else.

Asking a celebrity for their autograph is not 'creepy' signed memorabilia is a cornerstone of any major sport. Yeesh, man. Just let people enjoy things...

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I told James Wisniewski at a bar in Columbus that he became a favorite player of mine when he made a gesture towards Sean Avery. He thought about it for a second, then when he remembered, he started cracking up. He slapped me on the back really hard and said thanks.

That same night, Johansen, Atkinson, Wisniewski, Dubinsky, Comeau, Boll and maybe one or two others were all at the same bar. Everyone was cool, except Dubinsky was running around outside with sunglasses on making a bunch of noise for no apparent reason. Atkinson was sitting by himself watching the playoffs. The rest were being friendly with people, but not trying to draw too much attention. I had casual conversation with a few of them, and really the only notable interaction was with Wiz. And I'm happy for it! I have liked him more ever since that moment. Haha

Rick Nash was very pleasant during my one interaction. I've been a fan ever since. He was buying a Britney Spears CD, when I asked if it was for him he laughed and said it was not. Good dude.

I used to cover hockey very briefly and did a bunch of interviews. Everyone was polite.

Everyone is smaller than expected. Everybody.

EDIT: Avery/Wiz incident I referenced to Wiz

Last edited:
Reactions: El Cohiba

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
I always find it amusing and very sad that these 40 year old man children gush over athletes and then they act offended when an athlete brushes them off or treats them like a weirdo. You are a grown ass man, stop blushing. The only time this is acceptable is when you are a kid, so the athletes that treat kids rudely are the ones you can really judge as jerks. But the rest of the stories seems like players just wanting to mind their own business and not get harrassed by Joe blow stalker or Pierre Mcguire.

I agree. Although I don't think it'd kill the athlete to take a second to sign an autograph (even if it's then sold, big deal), I too think it's weird to "fanboy" over another grown man. Every hockey player I've met has been when I was a kid. Now, I wouldn't recognize the vast majority of them in public despite being a big fan of the game. Even if I did, I wouldn't have much interest in starting a conversation. Lots of people have cool jobs. I don't start random conversations with strangers--unless they're hot chicks

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
Everyone is smaller than expected. Everybody.

I've noticed that too! Was recently at an AHL game and got there early. One of the players was in the stands taping his stick a few seats over from me and others were congregating about. Don't know who it was, but the dude was super short and not very muscular. Couldn't have been more than 175. I'm always shocked at how little mass many of these guys have for pro athletes.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I've noticed that too! Was recently at an AHL game and got there early. One of the players was in the stands taping his stick a few seats over from me and others were congregating about. Don't know who it was, but the dude was super short and not very muscular. Couldn't have been more than 175. I'm always shocked at how little mass many of these guys have for pro athletes.

Maybe we misjudged Keith Tkatchuk all these years, the camera really did add 40 pounds.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I agree. Although I don't think it'd kill the athlete to take a second to sign an autograph (even if it's then sold, big deal), I too think it's weird to "fanboy" over another grown man. Every hockey player I've met has been when I was a kid. Now, I wouldn't recognize the vast majority of them in public despite being a big fan of the game. Even if I did, I wouldn't have much interest in starting a conversation. Lots of people have cool jobs. I don't start random conversations with strangers--unless they're hot chicks

Agreed. I don't wanna be the guy who comes over and interrupts what they are doing. Let them have some privacy and enjoy their time out without people asking them for things. Save that for the kids.

STHLM

Jun 30, 2017
Stockholm
Met Henrik Lundqvist here in Stockholm last summer at a signing event. Must have been several hundred people there, perhaps over 1k, and he made sure to sign autographs for everyone. We had a short chat, he would sign my jersey and take a picture. Just as charming in real life as one would think

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
3) Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky could not be more opposite. I'll let you guess which one stopped and talked with a group of fans for 10+ minutes and which one would pretend to take calls so he could walk briskly past fans without making eye contact.

Orr came into the restaurant in Montreal where I bussed tables a few times and was always super kind to the staff and made time for the fans who stopped to talk with him at his table, so I'm guessing he is the former. Gretzky ignoring fans is disappointing but somhow not surprising (though I've met Walter and he was very nice).

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Orr came into the restaurant in Montreal where I bussed tables a few times and was always super kind to the staff and made time for the fans who stopped to talk with him at his table, so I'm guessing he is the former. Gretzky ignoring fans is disappointing but somhow not surprising (though I've met Walter and he was very nice).
Like I said earlier in my post regarding Orr, it's obvious Orr is the one making time for fans.

The guy was scheduled for a 2 hour book signing on a book tour, so he was doing a ton of them, but stayed well past his time frame to make sure everyone in line got their book signed and a photo, as well as some quick small talk. Couldn't have been a nicer guy.

Reactions: Silencio

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I feel like a good portion of people in this thread feel like players owe something to them and aren't entitled to having privacy or enjoying some time out without having to cater to fans.

Could you imagine leaving your house as Gretzky? He would have constant attention here in Canada. No thank you.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
When I was a kid growing up in Winnipeg, I idolized Tkachuk, one day we played a minor hockey game before the jets game, so we were given the opportunity to wait by the entrance for autographs as they came in.

He walked by, did not acknowledge any of us and had his agent say he didn’t have time for kids. I cried because I only wanted his autograph.

To this day I hate him! Lol

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I once bumped into Trevor Daley outside a Jimmy John's near the AAC after game. He said "Ooo swarry."

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
I do find it a bit weird that grown men ask other grown men for autographs. Last time I asked someone for an autograph was when I was 12.

It also matters how you approach someone. If you're interrupting someones conversations or interrupting when they're eating to get an autograph or a selfie, then you're just another asshole.

Hockey players are also allowed to be human beings. They have good days and bad days. You can't really judge someone by the 5 minutes you saw them one day last year.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Met Brett Hull in Mexico. Pretty down to earth, goofy guy. Definitely a huge golfer and could probably drink me under the table.

Also met Chelios way back when he was still playing in Chicago. Really quiet dude who seemed like he wanted to keep out of the spotlight. He was with his family however, so who knows if he acted differently when in a more normal hockey/fan atmosphere.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Briere was a super nice the couple times I've interacted with him.

And not surprisingly Wayne Simmonds is one of the nicest dudes I've met.

notwolfy

Nov 15, 2013
I was a very tall gawky kid as a youth.My favorite athletes were always the tallest ones.Frank Howard of the Dodgers was my favorite baseball player as he was 6 ft 7 in tall. I am from Chicago and begged my dad to take me to a Cubs Dodgers game to see Frank. We got to Wrigley early and there was Frank Howard just standing outside as he got off the bus. I walked up to him and politely told him he was my favorite ballplayer and asked for an autograph.I will never forget the look on his face (this is now more than 50 years ago) as he told me and I quote "Get the hell away from me kid" To say I was disappointed would be a big understatement. I didn't even want to go and see the game after my encounter with that asshole!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad