Ever heard of Mats Zuccarello?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
There is this guy on the Rangers that nobody - and I mean nobody - talks about in the media. Or anywhere for that matter. That short little guy that is called the hobbit. He's from Norway and no real hockey player is from there, except for him and Espen Knutsen.

Well, it just happens he takes salary discounts for his team and is an elite two-way player. He backchecks like nobody else, is surprisingly strong and effective along the boards, knows his poke checks, stick lifts and defensive positioning.

His skating is totally fine, his ice vision is extremely good, his passing is excellent and his wrist shot is really good from the slot.

So he is short, so it's someone you bump around you would think. Nope, he hits back, he hits anyone he can reach and he isn't shying away from scrums. He's like a controlled bulldog, because he still doesn't do something aggressively stupid. In fact, he draws far more penalties than he ever takes himself.

To top it off, he's absolutely loved in the dressing room. Whenever you see a "behind the team" video with his team, he's always there. And when he isn't there, his teammates talk about him. This is further enhanced by the article by Halak when he played for Team Europe in the Mickey Mouse Cup. Who did he mention as the funniest guy ever in the locker room? Zuccarello.

Zuke is an underpaid, underrated, elite two way winger that never gets talked about. Sure, he isn't a superstar, but he sure is an incredible piece for any team that aspires for success. For his price, he still makes his line mates better, a quality only superstars have. Well, he has it too. That's the real quality he has. And oh, he's one of the most effective shootout takers in NHL history and he's among the top of NYR producers for the last couple of years.

And nobody talks about him. So, I would like to hear you talk about what you have noticed about Mats Zuccarello. He's in IMO one of the true gold pieces and secrets behind why the Rangers are so consistently good in the standings.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You mean Sidney Crosby when he plays the Leafs? I have no idea how many points he's got against the Leafs but I'm amazed at how strong he is on the puck, how creative he is with and without it. He's like a middle class mans MSL.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The thing with Zucc, for me, that sticks out (negatively) is his dip in playoff production. I havent had the chance to watch him then. Maybe a few Ranger fans can provide some input.

Otherwise a player I really like. He has an argument for top10 RW in the NHL.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
2nd best overall player (besides goalies) on the rangers outside of MCD, Far from Elite but absolute Coach and GM's dream player, the year he missed the playoffs from the brain injury the rangers were desperate for his presence in the lineup.. this guy could be named team MVP year in and year out. Really just blessed that he loves the city and the team and is willing to make it work out because he is a pleasure to watch and root for #Zuuuuuuuuuuuuc

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Tenacious as all hell and has some of the silkiest mitts in the game. Love him.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Not a fan of his after the whistle antics...always trying to shove someone/play tough in a scrum, you're 5'7 170 lbs what are you realistically gonna do to any of these 6'+ 200 lbs+ guys lol

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
The thing with Zucc, for me, that sticks out (negatively) is his dip in playoff production. I havent had the chance to watch him then. Maybe a few Ranger fans can provide some input.

Otherwise a player I really like. He has an argument for top10 RW in the NHL.

his playoff numbers sure don't stick out ill agree but rangers offense as a team plummets come post-season as the case with every team, but rangers will find themselves winning 2-1 or losing 2-1 in 75 percent of playoff games and that is barely an exaggeration. he is a still a .5 PPG playoff player and his style of play is actually more conducive to playoff success than some of the other big name players on the rags so i dont think youll find many fans who complain about zuc come post season besides maybe his tendency to pass up decent shots every now and then

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lol since when is a guy who has hit 60 pts once... considered elite?
Since when he has a defensive game just as impressive as his offensive one. Hitting 60 points on the Rangers is really good. They never have someone above that.

I didn't say he was an elite goal scorer. I said he is an elite two-way forward.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
wheres the video of that guy out on the ice imitating Zucc and looks JUST like him

someone must know what i mean

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Lol since when is a guy who has hit 60 pts once... considered elite?

He has hit 59, 60+, and has 55 with 6 games left. Thats out of 4 full seasons in the nhl i believe.

So please stay away from such poor representations. Doesnt help anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad