Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Would like him to shoot the puck more and play more Lone Ranger hockey actually. The team is short a couple of top-6 FWs so we need him to just shoot it. There is no 'team game' here anymore, we need aggression.

Agreed. We rarely have shoot-first forwards on this team, and he needs to be that guy. No coincidence that when he was scoring goals earlier in the season, his shot totals were a lot higher.

Reactions: Mikenusca

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Think it depends on why the team stopped sending the bank payments like they were. This is a nothing story overall but it does seem like Kane will end up bankrupt with these sorts of financial decisions.
This definitely seems more like a sharks problem than a kane problem although Kane's still part of the problem. He needs to take care of his finances better.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The 4th comment on that article is funny.

But yes this article should leave kanes name out of the article completely, he has litterally has nothing to do with the missed payment.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
This is the 2nd article regarding Kane owing money and a company comingafter him for it. It doesn't look like he can manage his finances.

Need more info on exactly what happened to know if its Kane, the sharks or both at fault though. However I doubt any more info comes out.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
The 4th comment on that article is funny.

But yes this article should leave kanes name out of the article completely, he has litterally has nothing to do with the missed payment.

“Centennial believes and therefore avers that the borrower has directed the team to discontinue any and all future direct deposits of the pledged payments into the designated account,” the complaint reads, “in violation of the security agreements.”

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
“Centennial believes and therefore avers that the borrower has directed the team to discontinue any and all future direct deposits of the pledged payments into the designated account,” the complaint reads, “in violation of the security agreements.”

Yeah no idea why anyone is trying to say Kane is without fault in this situation. No matter how you slice it, he borrowed the money, and its not being paid supposedly, therefore it is his problem no matter who decided to stop making the payments.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah no idea why anyone is trying to say Kane is without fault in this situation. No matter how you slice it, he borrowed the money, and its not being paid supposedly, therefore it is his problem no matter who decided to stop making the payments.

It depends on why the team stopped the arrangement when they were contractually obligated to do so. They would be at fault for not doing their due diligence on their part in this.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Are the Sharks legally obligated, through court order or otherwise, to garnish Kane’s wages? If they are, it doesn’t matter what Kane asks them to do. They would continue sending the payments. When I owned my own company, the IRS sent me a notice to garnish one of my employees wages. It wasn’t her choice. I had to do it. If the Sharks aren’t legally obligated, and Kane set up the automatic payments himself. They have to stop the payments if Kane asks them to stop them. They owe his salary to him. I suspect the Sharks are named so they have to show that Kane asked them to stop the payments, giving the plaintiff the proof they need that Kane chose to stop paying.

Reactions: mouser

jarr92

May 7, 2013
It depends on why the team stopped the arrangement when they were contractually obligated to do so. They would be at fault for not doing their due diligence on their part in this.

From what little information is in the article, I think the allegation is that he used his contract as collateral then instructed the Sharks to transfer his payment into a different account to avoid paying Centennial. Wouldn’t it be possible the Sharks were not aware of his loan situation when he made the request? I’m no legal expert when it comes to financial information an employer is privy to, so I’m not sure.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Sorry I still disagree, Kane borrowed the money, he used his contract as collateral, he is the one responsible for paying the loan. It does not matter if some intermediary was doing the paperwork for him, its his loan, his responsibility.

It is insanely unlikely that Kane was not well aware of the payments stopping, and if in some crazy circumstance the team just stopped paying them without telling him, and this is the first time Kane found out about it, it is still partially his fault for not making sure he set it up so that he was directly contacted by the loan agency in case any payment was ever missed/late so he could personally remedy the situation well before it got to a point where he is being sued.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorry I still disagree, Kane borrowed the money, he used his contract as collateral, he is the one responsible for paying the loan. It does not matter if some intermediary was doing the paperwork for him, its his loan, his responsibility.

It is insanely unlikely that Kane was not well aware of the payments stopping, and if in some crazy circumstance the team just stopped paying them without telling him, and this is the first time Kane found out about it, it is still partially his fault for not making sure he set it up so that he was directly contacted by the loan agency in case any payment was ever missed/late so he could personally remedy the situation well before it got to a point where he is being sued.

It actually does matter if they have been contractually obligated. Why do you think the team is named in the suit as well? They're both responsible for their part of the deal and since we don't and likely won't know the particulars, we can't actually say with any certainty who is at fault. This will get settled without any public information like what is typical for the situation. Kane is pretty clearly gambling away his earnings but that doesn't mean he's at fault for missing payments when the team was responsible for it.

Reactions: jarr92

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It actually does matter if they have been contractually obligated. Why do you think the team is named in the suit as well? They're both responsible for their part of the deal and since we don't and likely won't know the particulars, we can't actually say with any certainty who is at fault. This will get settled without any public information like what is typical for the situation. Kane is pretty clearly gambling away his earnings but that doesn't mean he's at fault for missing payments when the team was responsible for it.

I would imagine they are named because his contract, which was used as collateral, is from the Sharks organization and there was some form of agreement made between the Sharks and the Bank when they setup direct deposits on Kane's behalf.

I never said Kane is the only responsible party, which is exactly why the Shark's are named in the suit, I simply said I do not know why some were trying to make it out like Kane had no skin in the game on this. Someone literally said they did not even think Kane's name should have been involved in this story yet its his loan, not the Sharks. That makes it his issue, the only question is to what degree.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would imagine they are named because his contract, which was used as collateral, is from the Sharks organization and there was some form of agreement made between the Sharks and the Bank when they setup direct deposits on Kane's behalf.

I never said Kane is the only responsible party, which is exactly why the Shark's are named in the suit, I simply said I do not know why some were trying to make it out like Kane had no skin in the game on this. Someone literally said they did not even think Kane's name should have been involved in this story yet its his loan, not the Sharks. That makes it his issue, the only question is to what degree.

And if the team made the mistake on the agreement then it's not his responsibility to clean up the mess. We probably won't know since this isn't likely to be publicized. It's just more evidence that Kane plays fast and loose with his earnings but not that he's actually responsible for anything yet.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
And if the team made the mistake on the agreement then it's not his responsibility to clean up the mess. We probably won't know since this isn't likely to be publicized. It's just more evidence that Kane plays fast and loose with his earnings but not that he's actually responsible for anything yet.

Not sure how it works in the States, but in Canada a lawsuit is usually a last resort when it comes trying to enforce parties to fulfill their contractual obligations. Per the facts, the Sharks haven't made payments to the bank in over a year. I can almost guarantee there have been talks between then and now, I'd be quite interested to find out the reason why a professional sports team is failing to make payments it's contactually obliged to do.

If the bank's assertions are correct that Kane instructed the team not to make these payments, this is the second time in a very short time span that Kane has tried to get out of paying a loan and has been sued, which is a pretty concerning pattern.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not sure how it works in the States, but in Canada a lawsuit is usually a last resort when it comes trying to enforce parties to fulfill their contractual obligations. Per the facts, the Sharks haven't made payments to the bank in over a year. I can almost guarantee there have been talks between then and now, I'd be quite interested to find out the reason why a professional sports team is failing to make payments it's contactually obliged to do.

If the bank's assertions are correct that Kane instructed the team not to make these payments, this is the second time in a very short time span that Kane has tried to get out of paying a loan and has been sued, which is a pretty concerning pattern.

If that were entirely true, there would be no need to name the Sharks in the suit and all parties involved would have some form of paperwork that indicates this change in the deal. And typically, a team is involved like this to lower the interest rate which would likely change if the option was there to opt out of such an arrangement.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
How is his season so far? Is he our best forward?

Maybe, but there's Hertl and Couture that might be a hair better. However, Evander is our best forward in terms of most familiar with the penalty box. In fact, he is the best in the league for that in the past two seasons, lol.

I don't know what gives with him because he never came close to leading the league in PIMs while on his previous teams. I wish he would focus more on scoring and ignore the idiots on the opposing teams barking at him.

Reactions: themelkman

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Maybe, but there's Hertl and Couture that might be a hair better. However, Evander is our best forward in terms of most familiar with the penalty box. In fact, he is the best in the league for that in the past two seasons, lol.

I don't know what gives with him because he never came close to leading the league in PIMs while on his previous teams. I wish he would focus more on scoring and ignore the idiots on the opposing teams barking at him.
Maybe he’s just crankier because his gambling debts keep growing.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

That is absolutely correct.

Reactions: themelkman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad