Evander Kane

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Seguin had 84 points after he was traded, the year before he was traded he had 32 points in 48 games. A .66 PPG AVG. Kane's 41 points in 63 games is a .65 PPG AVG. You can't base Seguin's trade value on the season AFTER he was traded.

Right, except Seguin was traded before this season so his breakout in Dallas is irrelevant to my point.

Tyler Seguin (2012-2013): 0.67 PPG
Evander Kane (2013-2014): 0.65 PPG

So once you're traded you can no longer compare your stats to other players?

Sorry but that doesn't make sense.

To compare 2 players you don't pick select seasons at different ages, you compare the players complete career.

Gretzky - 1996-1997 - 82 games - 25 Goals - 72 Assists - 97 Points
D. Sedin - 2010-2011 - 82 Games - 41 Goals - 63 Assists - 104 Points

By your standards that means they are comparable players.

Breakout or not you cant compare E. Kane to Seguin for multiple reasons

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008
So once you're traded you can no longer compare your stats to other players?

Sorry but that doesn't make sense.

To compare 2 players you don't pick select seasons at different ages, you compare the players complete career.

Gretzky - 1996-1997 - 82 games - 25 Goals - 72 Assists - 97 Points
D. Sedin - 2010-2011 - 82 Games - 41 Goals - 63 Assists - 104 Points

By your standards that means they are comparable players.

Breakout or not you cant compare E. Kane to Seguin for multiple reasons

I was suggesting that Kane would likely return the same value that Boston received for Tyler Seguin a season ago. I have no idea what Seguin's price would be today but I know what it was a season ago when he was in a very similar situation to Kane.

Make sense?

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kane have a superstar jump in production wherever he ends up, but that's a separate point. The kid has an insane package of skills.

I'd love to see him on a second line with Kadri and Lupul but something tells me we'd need to see Rielly or Gardiner in a Jets uniform for that to happen, which I'm less excited about.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I was suggesting that Kane would likely return the same value that Boston received for Tyler Seguin a season ago. I have no idea what Seguin's price would be today but I know what it was a season ago when he was in a very similar situation to Kane.

Make sense?

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kane have a superstar jump in production wherever he ends up, but that's a separate point. The kid has an insane package of skills.

I'd love to see him on a second line with Kadri and Lupul but something tells me we'd need to see Rielly or Gardiner in a Jets uniform for that to happen, which I'm less excited about.

Ah yes much more sense, my bad, I was obviously under the wrong impression

What exactly did Boston get that blew the doors off and would require us to trade Rielly or Gardiner?

Bruins also added Rich Peverley and prospect Ryan Button an AHL D

Eriksson and Lupul are pretty equal ( 28 vs 30 ) Wingers around the same scoring
Riley Smith and Mason Raymond are pretty equal type players (which we signed 4 players like him this off season )
Joe Morrow - Shutdown D prospect (I'm assuming it was a team need for Dallas)
Matt Fraser - A prospect

I just dont see it, the return was ok, but unless the Jets are sending more back to fill the remaining return ala Peverley and a prospect I dont see the return to be so huge

Remove Riley Smith from Dallas and Peverley and the prospect from Boston and you are left with not much

Eriksson and 2 prospects for Seguin
Neither prospect looks to be a sure thing, Joe Morrow is a shut down D and Matt Fraser has 27 NHL games with 3 goals,

Lupul, Abbott, Percy are about the same return IMO - Difference between Abbott and Fraser is 2 years ( 1 is RFA - 1 is UFA )
I cant see that being the difference maker to be honest

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Just watching That's Hockey and there was a radio interview where he was asked if he wants to be a Winnipeg Jet. His answer was definitely not what Jets fans wanted to hear. Basically, he said that people have been speculating about him for the three years he's been there and that he's a Jet for now and he'll see what happens.

So, if he were to get traded, should the Leafs be looking to acquire him? If so, what do you think it would cost?

Yes, we should. Trade Gardiner or Kadri and Lupul for him. No first or second round picks please. Throw in Reimer too if you need to just to get it done. Try and get a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well.

I would rather keep Kadri because a Kadri Kane line would be sweet for a long time. Provided they can keep developing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd like him, if you can move assets Lupul/Franson/Reimer + 3rd or later picks in a package for him, great.

I don't think Nonis has the stones to go for this kind of move either, even though you look historically at guys who had perceived issues (Seguin and Nino), teams got less then stellar returns, and the team acquiring them got good players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would love Kane on the Leafs, he does add some diversity to our team, but more than that, he can be such an impact player if he can turn it around like JVR did here, he would be worth the price. If this is a similar aged player going the other way.

We are trying to add potential difference makers, or I was led to believe this from what Shanny said. Kane fits the bill.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'd give them a similar price that we paid for Kessel, not sure if Winnipeg would bite.

2015 - First Round Pick
2016 - First Round Pick
2016 - Third Round Pick

It's basically rolling the dice hoping the Leafs have non-playoff years.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I'd give them a similar price that we paid for Kessel, not sure if Winnipeg would bite.

2015 - First Round Pick
2016 - First Round Pick
2016 - Third Round Pick

Worst idea ever

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
The Maple Leafs should not trade for Evander Kane as he still has maturity issues and doesn't always play full seasons. Kane does not want to play for the Jets and that shows his lack of professionalism. What do you think would happen to Kane if he goes on a slump in Toronto with the crazy media?

The Maple Leafs requires players with leadership that can handle stressful situations and the Leafs would be wise not to make any trade for Kane. A less fan and media frenzy team would be better for Evander Kane.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
Ah yes much more sense, my bad, I was obviously under the wrong impression

What exactly did Boston get that blew the doors off and would require us to trade Rielly or Gardiner?

Bruins also added Rich Peverley and prospect Ryan Button an AHL D

Eriksson and Lupul are pretty equal ( 28 vs 30 ) Wingers around the same scoring
Riley Smith and Mason Raymond are pretty equal type players (which we signed 4 players like him this off season )
Joe Morrow - Shutdown D prospect (I'm assuming it was a team need for Dallas)
Matt Fraser - A prospect

I just dont see it, the return was ok, but unless the Jets are sending more back to fill the remaining return ala Peverley and a prospect I dont see the return to be so huge

Remove Riley Smith from Dallas and Peverley and the prospect from Boston and you are left with not much

Eriksson and 2 prospects for Seguin
Neither prospect looks to be a sure thing, Joe Morrow is a shut down D and Matt Fraser has 27 NHL games with 3 goals,

Lupul, Abbott, Percy are about the same return IMO - Difference between Abbott and Fraser is 2 years ( 1 is RFA - 1 is UFA )
I cant see that being the difference maker to be honest

You are really selling Reilly Smith short. He was one of the key pieces to this deal. Last year he played an excellent, hard-nosed two-way game which led him to put up 20 goals, 31 assists. IMO he has 60 pt upside, while playing solid D.

A comparable from our roster would be Holland, although IMO Smith is better - we would likely have to add.

The package received for Seguin was essentially one aging top 6 forward, one young top 6 forward, and a B level defensive prospect.

Would you give up Lupul, Holland and Granberg for Kane?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The Jets biggest issue is goaltending IMO. I'd propose swapping Reimer for Pavelec. Pavelec is on a negative value contract for the next 3 seasons and is impeding the Jets playoff chances. Sending Reimer a Manitoba native, a more productive goalie and cheaper option over sets the Jets up for a pretty nice situation in goal with a Reimer/Hutchinson tandem going forward. While, setting the Leafs up for another pricey buyout in the near future.

To replace Kane in the Jets top-6, Lupul lines up at the same position, at the same cap hit over the same term for fairly similar production over the past few years. If Lupul is too maintain even last year's level of play they may not miss Kane's production all that much.

Too fill in the throw-in portion of the trade. A couple Winnipeg boys, Orr and Ashton to fill out the bottom-6. Orr gives them a hometown nuclear deterrent to go against the other Western Canadian teams. Ashton was a 1st rd. pick from Kane's draft and gives them a NHL ready forward for team that doesn't have a lot coming in the pipeline. While the Jets throw in another negative value contract in Ivan Telegin. He is injured in Europe and has another year on a 2-way deal.

Lupul + Reimer + Ashton + Orr

for

Kane + Pavelec + Telegin

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
The Jets biggest issue is goaltending IMO. I'd propose swapping Reimer for Pavelec. Pavelec is on a negative value contract for the next 3 seasons and is impeding the Jets playoff chances. Sending Reimer a Manitoba native, a more productive goalie and cheaper option over sets the Jets up for a pretty nice situation in goal with a Reimer/Hutchinson tandem going forward. While, setting the Leafs up for another pricey buyout in the near future.

To replace Kane in the Jets top-6, Lupul lines up at the same position, at the same cap hit over the same term for fairly similar production over the past few years. If Lupul is too maintain even last year's level of play they may not miss Kane's production all that much.

Too fill in the throw-in portion of the trade. A couple Winnipeg boys, Orr and Ashton to fill out the bottom-6. Orr gives them a hometown nuclear deterrent to go against the other Western Canadian teams. Ashton was a 1st rd. pick from Kane's draft and gives them a NHL ready forward for team that doesn't have a lot coming in the pipeline. While the Jets throw in another negative value contract in Ivan Telegin. He is injured in Europe and has another year on a 2-way deal.

Lupul + Reimer + Ashton + Orr

for

Kane + Pavelec + Telegin

As much as I wish Reimer was a valued commodity he hasn't got much value. Packing in Orr is like slapping them in the face too. We will have to include Gardiner or Kadri to get it done I imagine. Also getting stuck under Pavelec's contract is something I don't think we want. Lupul's contract isn't great either but at least he would be playing.

Maybe Phaneuf+Reimer and a B level prospect retaining a bit of Dion's money would get it done though. Then we need to hunt down a top 4 dman after that however.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009

2015 - First Round Pick
2016 - First Round Pick
2016 - Third Round Pick

There are only a selected list of players id trade 2 firsts for, and Kane is not one of them

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
You are really selling Reilly Smith short. He was one of the key pieces to this deal. Last year he played an excellent, hard-nosed two-way game which led him to put up 20 goals, 31 assists. IMO he has 60 pt upside, while playing solid D.

A comparable from our roster would be Holland, although IMO Smith is better - we would likely have to add.

The package received for Seguin was essentially one aging top 6 forward, one young top 6 forward, and a B level defensive prospect.

Would you give up Lupul, Holland and Granberg for Kane?

Yes I would. Whats so special about them?
Kane replaces Lupul so we really dont loose a lot
Id like to see Granberg in a Leafs jersey but if its to exchange Lupul for Kane I'm all for it
My point was all this talk about Rielly + is insane
You just suggested a trade and it didnt have him in it never mind him +
I dont think the Jets will get what everyone is suggesting

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about Kane...This guy is a hell of a player, he was a heart and soul character guy in junior and now all of a sudden he has attitude issues in Winnipeg? I just think he wants to win so badly and is frustrated in Winnipeg.

I would love to get Kane, this would be a huge pickup for the team but the price would probably be high... This is a guy i would move our 1st round pick for though.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I already commented twice but I just want to say it again. I LOVE the way Kane plays the game. He has big time speed, power, great shot. Him and JVR, Kessel, Kadri would be a massively formidable top 6 for a LONG time. Due to the youth it would give us a long time to wait for our draft picks to develop. By they time Kadri and Kane are 26 or 27 we would have a bunch of our first rounders coming up if we hit a homerun with one or two of them we could have one of the strongest top 6 in the league. As it stands now in 3 seasons we only have Kadri, Kessel, JVR that will be relevant top 6 players.

Kane's age is literally the best thing for us because of when our team is shaping up to be winners. Hint: its not right now. People like Lupul aren't useful for us regardless of how they perform since realistically we aren't contenders.

I love Gardiner(see my avatar) but I would deal him for Kane and I think at least Gardiner is what it would take to get a deal done. Maybe we could figure something out with Lupul or Dion in there as well. Go after Big Buff to take some salary back maybe or I dunno who else they would want to part with other than Pavelec(Do not want).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad