Player Discussion Evander Kane - What's the verdict?

What do you think about Evander Kane?

• Total voters

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Voted he's been good and should be resigned. Hopefully at a rational aav/term

He's playing well considering he had no training camp and is 40 games behind. His speed is showing in spurts, he's hitting everything in sight (which takes substantial energy) and scoring near 30 goal pace.

It'll be worth it (more), and some when this Kane shows his presence:

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Missing option

re-sign if the money works. If you can’t make the money work then see ya Evander.

based on what I see this is not a sign at all costs player

having said that, I would give him kassians money if you can dump kassian
I think he might be in a situation where he won't be offered the big money and he might still have to do a 1 year 'prove yourself' deal. That would be good in most cases, but Holland will pay him 5 mill anyway. I'm sure you can sign him for 3.5 in that scenario.

Reactions: gordonhught

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Voted, but hey can we finish the season and see what playoffs look like?

Generally: We don't NEED him, but looks like a good fit if the price is right. No more insane contracts pls.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's been good, but this is one and done. Let someone else sign him. We should not be collecting forwards over 30 that take around 5 million AAV.

Make sure we keep Yama and Puljujarvi over him. They are younger with more prime years ahead.

This is no insult to Kane. Someone may sign him and it will be like their Hyman signing.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
At most I offer him a Barrie type 2-3 year bridge deal. If he wants a Lucic type 7 year deal, we better move on

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I don’t think anyone in the nhl is offering him a long term deal. I’d do another 1 year.

I hope you are right. But i could see a team like Calgary offering him a 4 year deal. They did offer Coleman a crazy 6 year deal last summe, and will likely have cap by not re-signing Johnny.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The biggest concern that I have is that his skating hasn't been what I was expecting. If he doesn't have another gear then year after year he will get slower and be less and less of an impact player. That said, I'd still bring him back on a shorter term deal just because of what he brings to the team.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
I worry that the man is having a honeymoon phase and everything is peachy now but could potentially become toxic with more time. I have to say it is so nice seeing someone on the oilers with some fight. Someone here said something along the lines of "narcissists are great in small doses" and it made me think before buying in completely... I am rooting for him though honestly because I do feel like he's been portrayed by media unfairly with some of the shit. His ex wife seems f***ing psycho.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So he has basically come "as advertised" on the ice, he scores some goals, and adds some gritty presence on the ice. Generally he is a good power winger who can do a bunch of things really well, but isn't a dominant force on the ice. He is really an almost perfect "plug and play" power winger in your top-6. 25-ish goals over a season with the other intangibles generally equals around a $6-7 million player on a long term contract in today's NHL. Given his off-ice issues + current age of 30 years old, its unlikely he gets such a long deal, but somebody will give him a $6 million over 4 years type of deal for certain in the off-season. We can't afford that, so that team won't be us.

Kane needs to sign the highest deal he can as well, given his money problems. He can't afford to take a little less money to sign with a contender, or take less because he found a good "fit" with a team. He needs to make as much money as humanly possible as he has tremendous debts to pay off. He will send up signing with some terrible US-based team who needs a top-line player and is willing to pay for it.

For all the reasons mentioned above, there is a zero % chance of him re-signing in Edmonton.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
He's been good and I'm open to signing him at anything 4.5 or under. I doubt he signs that low and anything more I'd pass.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You see him when he gets the puck in flight in our own zone that his speed is actually good and he can transport the puck actually really well.

The problem is that he's genuinely floating around doing nothing for 99% of the game. He is putting up points though, so how can I complain too much. Just wish he 'looked' like he was doing more, you know? Feel like he gives up on a ton of plays or doesn't even give himself the opportunity to be a part of plays because he's never moving his feet. Coasts everywhere.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He's a bit of a turnover machine, but hey, who isn't on this club?

He's about the only guy on the team that approaches the game with a consistent shoot first mentality and is adept at going to the net and tipping pucks. Two things that are rare air for this team.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Don;t see how we will be able to afford him even if we want him back.
Ya that seems to be the main concern. He’s what we all though. Scoring goals and a tough guy which is definitely nice to have; but he will be asking for a lot of money. Zero chance he signs for what Edmonton can offer him. It’s nice to have him while he is here, but no way he is a long term answer for Edmonton unless he signs at a great deal, which I highly doubt he will since he likely needs all the money he can get

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You see him when he gets the puck in flight in our own zone that his speed is actually good and he can transport the puck actually really well.

The problem is that he's genuinely floating around doing nothing for 99% of the game. He is putting up points though, so how can I complain too much. Just wish he 'looked' like he was doing more, you know? Feel like he gives up on a ton of plays or doesn't even give himself the opportunity to be a part of plays because he's never moving his feet. Coasts everywhere.
Need some players like this that can convert chances. Oilers already have enough players that play hard but can’t score or make decent plays. JP plays hard, but has trouble converting. Kane may not always play hard, but at least he is converting a reasonable quantity of his chances.

Kane is a fine player and the Oilers are lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He's been very good, but we need to spend the additional cap space on goaltending, obviously.
There might be a team willing to cough up 6M for his services next year. No way we can make a realistic offer to keep him unless he doesn't care about money.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I would give him a deal that's similar to RNH/Hyman since I view him as a similar tier player if not a bit better. 5M for 3 years (same time Drai's deal expires). Taylor Hall can be used as a reference. He got 1M more per but is a year younger, has less 'baggage', and put up better numbers.

Ship out Barrie and Kassian. Praying Mike Smith LTIRetires as well. All can be replaced by internal players. The Oi

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think how it’d p1ss off other teams’ fans would be worth at least a million dollars.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I've generally liked what he's brought; however as others have said, that cap needs to go elsewhere.

You've got to think Holloway takes his spot net year. Unless someone like McLeod or Lavoie beat him out for it.

Hyman-McDavid-Pulju
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yams
Foegele-RNH-Ryan
_____-McLeod-Kassian

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I've generally liked what he's brought; however as others have said, that cap needs to go elsewhere.

You've got to think Holloway takes his spot net year. Unless someone like McLeod or Lavoie beat him out for it.

Hyman-McDavid-Pulju
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yams
Foegele-RNH-Ryan
_____-McLeod-Kassian

Gotta admit, I'd be pretty pissy if that was our forward lineup to start the year next season.

Even Jim Matheson would be able to tell.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

Hyman-McDavid-Pulju
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yams
Foegele-RNH-Ryan
_____-McLeod-Kassian

Yams is a 3rd line player and Drai needs someone other than a rookie on his line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad