Player Discussion Evander Kane - What's the verdict?

What do you think about Evander Kane?

• Total voters

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
He hasn't blown the doors off, but he's also like 30 plus games behind everyone.

I'm happy that he seems to be a good teammate so far.

I'm in favor of keeping at a reasonable dollar amount and dumping Kassian if possible.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Poll results are odd. We really expect a lot of this player, for some reason, than what we expect of most of our lineup.

Kane has 5G 5A 10pts in 14 games here. Before this Killers row road trip he was hanging closer to ppg.

I mean in comparison Nuge has 7 goals all season. Yama has 10 Pulju has 12. Of course Kane clocks all of them in scoring by miles.

Kane is scoring at almost the clip that Connor McDavid is. Think about that. I mean in minutes played he's even got an edge in G/60mins on McD.

For a player to come in here cold and to be able to bring us some production, and we got him for nothing, he's been a good find. He's been a good player on a weak roster.

We're beggars at this point, not choosers, and if for some reason Kane wanted to remain, and if the money was doable we should retain. The answer to who else do we have is, well, nobody.

Its striking, and predictable, that Hyman and Kane are better goal scorers than everybody on our roster except McDrai. Its pretty much org fail that this is the case, but it is what it is, and you certainly don't throw either back given a choice. We desperately require players that can put the puck in the net. We need them right now.

We just finished a game where we scored one goal, and it was Derek Ryan, and anybody here is questioning whether we need Kane. We need him, desperately.

ps Kane is also +7 on the season so far and with low GA. Meaning he's outscoring 5 on 5. He's being an all zone player so far. I've seen him back check, strip pucks, stop entries. He's being a good player in all zones.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He has been OK. He is playing well below what he has in the past, but still probably our 7th best forward this season, so whatever. Maybe 8th.

H'es been no lower than our 4th best forward in time spent here, in his time frame here. Anybody can check the numbers. Even given he will have played half the games most of his team mates have, he probably finishes around 5th among forwards in goal scoring. On a G/G pace he will match Hyman, our 3rd best goal scorer. Probably going forward he finishes more than Hyman. I mean thats what he is.

Even starting from a standing start midway through season Kane is the best option winger Drai has had.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This bs has already been dispelled in several threads. Those are really specious views on the player.

Kane has 1 Empty net G and 1EN assist, yes, but still has produced EV. I think a fair comment is it takes time to hit the ground running after a standing start mid season. Again look at Eichel struggle in Vegas. Its hard to start midway through season.

The citation says nothing as well about Kane being low event on ice and only 2GA EV his whole time here. Nah, that doesn't fit the narrative.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

Having Kane drops Nuge to center the third line and they were trending up at 5v5 up until Nuge got injured.

Foegele-Nuge-Ryan wouldn't be possible without Kane on the roster. The team as a whole got better because of it not worse.

14 games played with a goal differential of +6 at 5v5. The team's only given up 2 goals while he's on the ice at 5v5.

Low IQ tweet.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Seems a bit early for a poll like this.

Hasn't been much evidence of the hard driving power forward he used to be, but it's hard to tell what the issue might be(age, missing half the season, new team growing pains, lots going on). He hasn't been bad really, but he likely needs more time to settle in so everyone can get a better read on the situation.

Reactions: oilers'72

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think hes been good and brings some much-needed edge to the team. I would resign him to 1 or 2 years.

That said, I don't think we will resign him. Kane is in a situation where he will have to take the most money being offered.

Reactions: Aerchon

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Voted good and we should resign, but I think it depends on what contact he's looking for.

I'd be quite happy with a 1-2 year deal. Not sure I'm game to give him a long term deal.

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
I think he's an obvious re-sign. Capitalize on his financial situation and sign him cheap for 2-4 years. He's been fine, but like others have stated, what else do you expect for someone behind on games and on team chemistry. He'll be seriously one of the best cheap forwards for this team once he finds his groove.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The hope was that we would be adding someone with similar impact as a Hyman or Nuge. He hasn't been that so far but still a good forward to have, especially with our injuries.

I'd probably put Yamamato ahead of him this far too

But I think he will get better and better as the season goes. He likely becomes like a Hyman tier guy, with his own style of course

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
I think he's an obvious re-sign. Capitalize on his financial situation and sign him cheap for 2-4 years. He's been fine, but like others have stated, what else do you expect for someone behind on games and on team chemistry. He'll be seriously one of the best cheap forwards for this team once he finds his groove.
He ain't signing cheap anywhere. Next contract is his last.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Every time the Oilers sign a player to a one year deal and get decent results they follow it up with a multi year deal that f***s shit up. Russell, Chiasson, Koskinen (midseason), Barrie. The trend is clear.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
As much as I love Kassian's recovery story, I would begrudgingly agree to signing kane in his place if we could get him at a comparable cap hit.

He gives Woodcroft a level of flexibility in his lines that Kassian unfortunately no longer offers.

Side note, I'm really tired of seeing Athletic emails in my junk mail with stories about Evander Kanes bankruptcy proceedings. Whoever it is at the Athletic that feels like it's good journalism to document and expose every little detail about the mans financial proceedings to the hockey world could probably use a kick in the teeth.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I can eat crow. The team looks better with him. He must be a good team mate.

Imagine, he's gets everything together and focuses on his breadmaking career.

We will not be able to afford him. Be honest.

At his best. He is the top LW in the League.

As a person,I apologize, that he may not be a cancer in the locker. I was wrong.
I would have to forgive myself, in believing all the lies that have been spread about him.

I can cheer definitely as a fan for this player. He's still finding his way.

His personal stuff, that's him and God. That's all of us.

If only for this end of season.

We are extremely blessed to see such a powerhouse front core.

All I can say. As fans,..gotta appreciate it.

Well, let's see what he can do on this type of team.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Went with he's been good and we should resign him... That said, there are some sticking points.

He has played well for coming in without much ice time and his play should continue to improve. Also, we have to take into account that his deployment in the top six allowed Woodcroft to put Nuge on the third line.

I believe it is too early to talk about an extension as we haven't seen what he is fully capable of. I question if his contract would cost more than a comparable UFA. Presumably not.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention his history. I understand that some fans feel he isn't a good role model. It will be something for management to decide if they want to extend him. In my opinion, his "history" isn't an issue and has been completely overblown.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It would be nice to have him back at a little more than Kassian’s contract (with Kassian out the door). Pretty much Kassian but much more consistent and less injury concerns

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's been significant plus value at 2.1 million, a bona fide 2nd line winger at minimum despite his warts and inconsistency. It's almost like when we avoid the garbage traits like intangibles/character/heart/hustle/experience or whatever other filth Ken Holland has been trying to shove down this roster and acquire a player with tangible skillset and production we can *gasp* get value out of players!

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Missing option

re-sign if the money works. If you can’t make the money work then see ya Evander.

based on what I see this is not a sign at all costs player

having said that, I would give him kassians money if you can dump kassian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad