Player Discussion Evander Kane - What's the verdict?

What do you think about Evander Kane?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Verdict pun aside, what are we thinking about the player?

Try to re-sign or no?

Has he been good, bad or average?

I think he's missed a lot of chances and still looks pretty slow out there. Not sure if he's still getting up to game speed or if he's just past his prime.

Reactions: Riddum

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Voted -Good, don't sign*

*Don't sign= for what he'd want (mostly term)

If he wanted to re-sign at a 1, mayyybe 2 year deal and we can fit it under the cap, great.

I can't imagine we can afford his AAV either way next year if we want to do anything in net unless he gets blackballed by the league.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
In the limited time he’s been here he has been ok. Not bad. Not great. He probably will improve with time as well as things settle in with Woody as coach and Drai as his C, and he gets his complete timing back.

Way too early to discuss re-signing or not.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has had his ups and downs so far. Hoping that we get a long look at him through the regular and postseason :) to make a decision on signing him or not.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Voted average and don’t re-sign.

Kane has been a mixed bag so far and history suggests he’ll become a headache once he wears out his welcome.

I can see the attributes he brings that we are lacking in but I hope we could find that in a player that better fits our cap situation (I kind of doubt it with Holland though).

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He has been OK. He is playing well below what he has in the past, but still probably our 7th best forward this season, so whatever. Maybe 8th.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He’s been slightly above average to this point (and maybe thats just because I’m comparing him to the rest of the Oiler forwards), lack of training camp and playing far less games than the others me thinks he just hasn’t gotten up to full speed. Based on that (and that only that) at this point I wouldn’t re-sign him and would use the $$ elsewhere.

However, as others have mentioned, the season is not over yet and his overall worth to the team is yet to be determined. If he heats up, drives the team to a play off spot and/or has a decent playoff run, you have to consider re-upping if the price is right.

We dont have enough players with his attributes on this team. He can skate, score, initiates and finishes hard checks, big size, can chuck if he has to. Who else is a power forward like that on this team?

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
He's been OK considering he didn't have a normal training camp that takes a while for him to get into game shape.

He brings various elements to the make up of the team that we currently lack more of. He can score, set up goals with nice passes, good hand eye coordination, plays net front, plays physical, he has an edge, can drop the gloves when he needs to, etc.

If we have the cap space to fit him under the salary cap I'm fine with it, but I doubt that's going to happen. He's going to be out of our price range as he'll command more dollar than we can afford.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Edmonton Sun

Pole of the Day

images

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
If we don't resign him, I do think that we need a player like him & those are not easy to acquire. It really depends on how he plays DOWN THE STRETCH & hopefully in the playoffs. More importantly, what type of $ & term will he be looking for on his next deal? Do McDrai want him back by seasons end? It's too soon for me to give a definitive answer...too many unknowns

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
If we don't resign him, I do think that we need a player like him & those are not easy to acquire. It really depends on how he plays DOWN THE STRETCH & hopefully in the playoffs. More importantly, what type of $ & term will he be looking for on his next deal? Do McDrai want him back by seasons end? It's too soon for me to give a definitive answer...too many unknowns
Agreed on all accounts.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I am guessing there was a deal already set prior to him signing for this year.
Did he purchase a house in Edmonton or is he renting? Someone said on another board he bought.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
At this point I dont think hes worth the 5M+ he will probably get on the open market. Maybe he takes a discount because he likes playing with McDrai but the most we could offer him would be in the low 4's and that's assuming we dump Kassian and his contract.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
There wasn't much of a market for him when he was basically free. I'd try to sign him cheap or let him walk.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
At this point I dont think hes worth the 5M+ he will probably get on the open market. Maybe he takes a discount because he likes playing with McDrai but the most we could offer him would be in the low 4's and that's assuming we dump Kassian and his contract.

Actually...

The idea of dropping Kassian in exchange for Kane has just changed my view. Would I pay an extra $1.5M to keep Kane over Kassian? 100%

Move Kassian for a pick, sign Kane... done. Next year our lines could be something like:

McLeod McD Hyman
Kane Drai Yams
Holloway/Lavoie Nuge Pulju
Ryan Shore Foegele

That's not too shabby and gets better if both Lavoie and Holloway are ready

Reactions: McDoused

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think hes been fine. But part of me expected more to be honest. To be fair, he hasnt played hockey in a long time. Still lots of games left though.

I like him on the team thus far, but given his history, I wouldnt sign him long term. Even on a one year deal, I'm not sure how much he would command. He doesnt really look like anything more than a $3-4 million dollar player at the moment.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He’s a physical top 6 forward. He’s been good relative to my expectations considering the time missed. I don’t see any reason not to try and sign him at this point. I liked the idea of trading for him at 50% back when San Jose was offering it, and I feel like that range is probably off the table now (3x3.5), but it all depends how close to that we can get. 2-4 years at 3-4 per and you figure out how to make it work. 4+ and you might have no choice but to let him go. By my count, you have ~4.4 million for Smith/other goalie and Kane/other forward. If you move Kassian (and I’m one of the few who think we should keep him), and replace him with say Sceviour or Perlini, and get Smitty on Robidas island (maybe he’s signed to be our goalie coach in 2023?) that gets you up to 6.7. The question becomes, can you get Kane and a goalie for around 3-3.5 each? I can’t see that getting Kuemper, but maybe you could run a Holtby/Skinner tandem? I feel good going into next year with

Hyman - McDavid - Pulju
Kane - Drai - Yamo
Foegele - Nuge - Holloway
Shore - McLeod - Ryan
Benson
Sceviour/Perlini

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Nemo - Bouch
Broberg/Russell

Holtby
Skinner

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'll wait and see if he gets to play in the Playoffs before judging him too much. He looked gassed yesterday which is to be expected. He's the kind of guy that could potentially elevate his game in front of a loud Playoff crowd like Kassian did a few years ago. Maybe he can be the 06 Mike Peca.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I am guessing there was a deal already set prior to him signing for this year.
Did he purchase a house in Edmonton or is he renting? Someone said on another board he bought.

Doesn't he have custody of his kid? That would be a factor for him to sign long term **IF** he continues to play as effectively as he has, keeps his nose clean with the law and isn't a locker room cancer ! If he meets all of this then there's no reason not to re-sign him, he's exactly what the Oilers have needed up front since Taylor Hall left only Kane is more physical.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He looks a little bit slow still, I'm not sure if that's always been the case though. I'm hoping that after 20 games he's really peaking. He's definitely a positive contributor though, he's made a number of nice plays that have resulted in goals, and I think he's pretty decent defensively.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad