Player Discussion Evander Kane - What's the verdict?

What do you think about Evander Kane?

• Total voters

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
because he behaved himself and his production went through the roof
plus, have you seen the contracts thrown around on Free Agent frenzy day? a lot of regrettable ones
Did it go through the roof?

He always produced at that level throughout his entire career. How was what he did this year any less impressive than last year? More goals with less assists, same level of production.

He also has a history of behaving for the first 1-2 years.

1654883214463.png

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Did it go through the roof?

He always produced at that level throughout his entire career. How was what he did this year any less impressive than last year? More goals with less assists, same level of production.

He also has a history of behaving for the first 1-2 years.

View attachment 557764
There's some recency bias for sure, though he did finish the season strong with 16 points in his last 14 games and and 25 in his last 24. I know people felt it took him a bit to find some consistency with the team (only 4 points in his first 7 games, but went to 11 in his first 15 as he got more comfortable).

22 goals in 43 games is very, very good too.

McDavid factor obviously helps, but I wouldn't be surprised if he put up close to an 80 point season here if he played a full year with us.

Reactions: LaGu and oilers'72

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There's some recency bias for sure, though he did finish the season strong with 16 points in his last 14 games and and 25 in his last 24. I know people felt it took him a bit to find some consistency with the team (only 4 points in his first 7 games, but went to 11 in his first 15 as he got more comfortable).

22 goals in 43 games is very, very good too.

McDavid factor obviously helps, but I wouldn't be surprised if he put up close to an 80 point season here if he played a full year with us.
I agree its solid production.

What I disagree with are teams lined up to offer him $6m AAV with term.

Nothing changed from January till now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would say quite a bit changed. He showed he can be a good citizen, and not a distraction on a playoff team.
To be fair, if Kane did anything but try to fit in and not be a distraction he might be looking at Russia as his next destination. There is a possibility that if he gets a longer term deal that he reverts back to his pre-Oilers behavior. For his sake, I hope that it's past him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Theres a ton thats changed since that I can't even expand on in entirety on this board.

For one though a brief despite from the man clobbering Metoo movement whereby any man in existence was assumed guilty of any claim whatsoever in the court of public opinion. Finally theres been some rethink on the issue and more cases that absolve people of false claims.

Specific to Kane that also occurred. He obtained custody of the children which was a watershed moment in people realizing/acknowledging that not everything was as claimed. Next he's owned hockey pretty much like he was owning it before. He was the MVP shark before all the character attacks.

Gonna say it too, hockey players are angels relative to other sports. how would people like Maradona or some such players being Kings of their sport. Pro Hockey players are poster children compared to most Pro sports. That so much acrimony landed on Kane is incredible as well as misguided. If he played any other sport his alleged misgivings would hardly even stand out.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess we will see. I think there will be some takers because a lot of sports is a "what have you done for me lately" reality.

His playoff performance didn't hurt either, and it's different than a Fernando Pisani type of situation as he was scoring well during the regular season as well.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Who knows. He produced well, kept his nose clean and other team GM's might take that as a sign that he's learned and grown. I'm selfishly hoping other teams don't come knocking and EDM can swoop in and make a good, reasonable offer that doesn't handcuff them. lol. Maybe a pipe dream. IDK. Sounds like he feels he will get offers.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
A lot will depend on what happens with his grievance.

Ideally.. He wins the case and SJS have to reinstate his contract. He submits a 3 team trade list to teams which cannot afford/won't want him. San Jose is forced to buy him out. We sign him for $5M x 8 and win multiple cups.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The only way Kane is signing a deal with us is if we move to Oilers to LA, NY, Vegas or Miami. Just look at him like the drunken fling you had with a girl that was out of your league that one time. She's sober the next morning and there won't be a sequel.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
The only way Kane is signing a deal with us is if we move to Oilers to LA, NY, Vegas or Miami. Just look at him like the drunken fling you had with a girl that was out of your league that one time. She's sober the next morning and there won't be a sequel.
Sorry if this was your experience. At least you have that one night to remember.

So is this good or bad for the Oilers?? On one hand it means that if they are still trying this might tie them up from trying other options. But it may also limit the competition for Kane and make the possibility of another short term deal more realistic.
One year deal. Book it.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
5 x 3 and McDavids wing man and that’s that. I don’t think the NHL will allow the Oilers to get in there cheap so he’ll get his term and money elsewhere. NHL hands out the punishment and will make sure SJ doesn’t pay a cent.

Sadly Edmonton isn’t up to his expectations and he has money problems.

Gonna miss that kid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I always figured he would sign somewhere like Philly. If he were with Tortorella, lol

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
5 x 3 and McDavids wing man and that’s that. I don’t think the NHL will allow the Oilers to get in there cheap so he’ll get his term and money elsewhere. NHL hands out the punishment and will make sure SJ doesn’t pay a cent.

Sadly Edmonton isn’t up to his expectations and he has money problems.

Gonna miss that kid.
Yeah, well, you know, thats just like, your opinion, man

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Is Kane allowed to sign with a team anyway before his contract grievance is sorted?

Obviously he'd like to have a clear picture of what's going on but is anything stopping him from signing with a team like he did last year?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
A lot will depend on what happens with his grievance.

Ideally.. He wins the case and SJS have to reinstate his contract. He submits a 3 team trade list to teams which cannot afford/won't want him. San Jose is forced to buy him out. We sign him for $5M x 8 and win multiple cups.
I like the sounds of this.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I hope they figure out this Kane situation in time for free agency

I don't think he will be an Oiler. However he picked Edmonton and gave us a hell of a ride. A great effort from a great person. I want it to be figured out for his own sake

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
For anyone hoping for a big discount on Kane signing here.

Don't forget his debts are tied to his old contract, the whole amount. He's kind of starting over from scratch.

Whatever the NHL and arbitrators decision is, it won't make any impact on his asking price if he signs a new contract. He'll shop around and may give the Oilers a bit of a discount, but won't be big.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Still can’t see a 7M-8M pay day for Kane. There’s lot of things holding that back. Some teams just won’t want the bad PR of signing Kane. Some teams wouldn’t want to risk building around Kane and his cap given his locker room history. And contending teams won’t have the cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad