Player Discussion Evander Kane - What's the verdict?

What do you think about Evander Kane?

• Total voters

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I was one of those who didn't want the guy. To his credit he absolutely tore it up with the two superstars and clearly (given his 'goodbye' tweet, plus Rishaug's take) is looking to get paid. I'm grateful for what the guy brought but as a long term solution I'd rather the effort go into finding solid, stable, consistent goaltending.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its kind of weird that hes already said his "goodbye" to Edmonton essentially.

Does this infer that agents are negotiating with teams all year around? How can Kane know what his market is at this point in time otherwise?

If we take Holland at his word that he hasnt had a lot of conversations with various agents (been busy with playoffs), it just seems strange to me a bit.

Just seems like its a one of the three things:

1) Negotiation tactic by his camp
2) Doesnt want to be Edmonton regardless
3) Already knows hes going to get better offers elsewhere

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ImJustJokinen

Vinnie Desharnais for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
Cup Parade
Voted average and don’t re-sign.

Kane has been a mixed bag so far and history suggests he’ll become a headache once he wears out his welcome.

I can see the attributes he brings that we are lacking in but I hope we could find that in a player that better fits our cap situation (I kind of doubt it with Holland though).
gotta change your vote bud

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Well from the post he made thanking everyone it would appear he is not coming back. That or maybe with everything going on he was extremely grateful for the support the team and fans showed him and just wanted to show that kindness is return. /shrug

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I think the best option with our cap situation is to let Kane walk.

He's definitely earned a huge contract with his performance this year, but the number is going to be too high for us to work with.

The good news is, we just became the #1 destination for players looking to earn their next contract. That should help us stay competitive until we can free-up more cap space
Especially if we can announce a solid goalie signing as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's posturing for the front office to put more $$$ on the table.
I think that's entirely possible. He's been as positive as humanly possible towards the team, management, coaching, fans, etc. and his teammates and coach have done nothing but speak positively of him. If it really is THAT good of a fit then he really should consider staying if the $ is right.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Good luck to Kane looking to get a homerun contract that starts with an 8.

That would make him one of the top 34 paid forwards in the league. He would basically need to be the best forward on his team.

This is a good time to remember that he will be 31 next season and has never scored more than 30 goals in a season. He also isnt much of a playmaker with a career high of 27 points.

So even if he maintains career numbers of 30 goals and 27 assists got 57 points, that's not good enough to basically be the best forward on his team.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One new hitch though is that his Chapter 7 filing may get converted to a Chapter 11. I am not a lawyer but this seems like it would significantly expand access for creditors and may make Kane look harder at getting the most money he can.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Did Kane sign with another team already? Sounds like it from posts on here.
Hahaha I know right!
Really curious what he gets, but the tweet really sounded like he wasn’t coming back.

If we miss on Kane, I hope we put that money to a defenseman.

Reactions: McDoused

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Do people realise Kane was offered up for FREE with his San Jose contract and there were zero takers?

Can anyone explain to me what changed since then?

I very much doubt Kane receives a multi-year deal for north of $4.5 outside of Edmonton.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Do people realise Kane was offered up for FREE with his San Jose contract and there were zero takers?

Can anyone explain to me what changed since then?

I very much doubt Kane receives a multi-year deal for north of $4.5 outside of Edmonton.
zero takers cause the guy was toxic as hell

nobody wanted him back in January except a couple teams including the Oilers

Reactions: Oilers

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
My family was pretty close to Kane's family while I was growing up in Vancouver.

He was a spoiled rich kid who thinks he's bigger than the world. Guy wants the glitz and glamour and live like a rockstar in Cali, or New York.

Guy has a massive ego. Edmonton is a beautiful city, and by far his best fit career wise. He could potentially hit 40 next year playing next to McDavid.

But that doesn't interest Evander. He's going to the biggest market who can pay him the most. It's such a shame because he's such a rare combination of size, skill, and he knows how to use his body to his advantage. Just a total game changer.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Good luck to Kane looking to get a homerun contract that starts with an 8.

That would make him one of the top 34 paid forwards in the league. He would basically need to be the best forward on his team.

This is a good time to remember that he will be 31 next season and has never scored more than 30 goals in a season. He also isnt much of a playmaker with a career high of 27 points.

So even if he maintains career numbers of 30 goals and 27 assists got 57 points, that's not good enough to basically be the best forward on his team.
lol he ain’t only scoring 57 points if he stays here.

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
Ultimately it's a business and he has to at least make it look like he may go elsewhere to bolster his bargaining position. I could see it going either way tbh, he seems genuine in what he says so we'll see how him and the Mrs. liked the city and what the dollars and cents are at the end of the day.
He could also be looking at our cap situation and just kind of assuming there isn't room for him. But, if he wants to come back Holland needs to make room.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The object of the game in this league is to find really good players that make a difference and retain them while not committing to guys who are middling or no help.

The Oilers were actually in danger of missing the playoffs until to things happened last year, changing the coach to a better one and getting Kane, he also made a huge dofferenc ein the playoffs in helping to outscore our bad goaltending.

We will now not be able to make a serious run at resigning him because our gm has made some mind boggling atrocious decisions on middling to bad players.

The Duncan Keith move alone might be what sinks our attempts at getting kane back.

Kane might want too much money and we may not be able to afford him, the team will be much worse without him.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
zero takers cause the guy was toxic as hell

nobody wanted him back in January except a couple teams including the Oilers
I know right??

I really want to know what exactly changed from January till now where several teams are now suddenly willing to throw $6million to Kane on a multi-year deal.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I know right??

I really want to know what exactly changed from January till now where several teams are now suddenly willing to throw $6million to Kane on a multi-year deal.
because he behaved himself and his production went through the roof
plus, have you seen the contracts thrown around on Free Agent frenzy day? a lot of regrettable ones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad