Evander Kane thread: would you, and for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He's only 23. His career numbers are better than most in his age group. Still a lot of upside. One of the top puck-retrieving forwards in the game according to proprietary analytics. He averaged almost 3.5 shots/game with a shoulder injury that required surgery. Keep this guy healthy for 75 games and he'll scorer 30 with McEichel/Reinhart with his eyes closed. I'm very interested.

Grigorenko + STL/NYI 1st + choice of Stafford/Stewart

Get it done, Timmy.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Not even remotely interested...they don't have the personalities in the locker room to deal with him...and add to that his numbers have declined since his a20 season.

He's a nice piece for a team with strong voices, not a team that's going to have 18-21 year olds as it's core.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If there were two Evander Kanes available .. I'd take two.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He's only 23. His career numbers are better than most in his age group. Still a lot of upside. One of the top puck-retrieving forwards in the game according to proprietary analytics. He averaged almost 3.5 shots/game with a shoulder injury that required surgery. Keep this guy healthy for 75 games and he'll scorer 30 with McEichel/Reinhart with his eyes closed. I'm very interested.

Get it done, Timmy.

I don't want to trade grigs unless I know I'm picking top 2.

If concerned about the details of Kane's injury. If he is out 4-6 months I'd want yo wait and get dr reports prior to trading for him. Waiting till the drsft to acquire him gives buffalo time to see how he is fount in recovery.

I could see a 2 part trade where they trade them Stewart/stafford for picks or unsigned prospects.

They could also do stafford/Stewart for a trade up....if Winnipeg is picking 17 and NYI picking 22 then they execute a puck swap.

Only if buffalo is picking top 2 do they trade grigs for Kane. They include a 1st in the deal.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
i'd do it.

i'd give up Stafford/Stewart, Stl 1st, and Foligno

I'd take this deal and run. Off ice issues be damned. (Pat) Kanes off ice issues really affected his play. :sarcasm:

obviously not a big deal. Evander Kane would be a great add. throw him on a line with Zemgod and watch out.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm fine with giving up non-essential prospects and expiring contracts for Kane. Buying low and stuff. I don't like muck raking about players supposed off ice issues (especially when some of it seemed race based in the past) and Seguin's article in The Players Tribune showed how overblown it can get with the media. ****, the Winnipeg media's been trying to run Kane out of town the second he showed up into town, it seemed like to me. Like, heaven forbid you play for a Canadian team and have any personality whatsoever (like PK getting **** in Montreal); as if you're supposed to be all bland and boring like Crosby is off-ice.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Truthfully, Winnipeg would be better served to waiting until the summer to move Kane. Playoff teams aren't looking to give up the type of assets Winnipeg would ask of them for a guy who isn't going to play until next year (I'm assuming WPG would want at least one player who can step in immediately, be it a rental or otherwise). That fact right there narrows the universe of potential suitors. Not only will they likely have greater demand at that time, but teams who are under pressure to take a step forward may have better offers. As a secondary consideration, it allows for a lot of this silliness to blow over.

I still think Kane has played his last game in Winnipeg, though.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Truthfully, Winnipeg would be better served to waiting until the summer to move Kane. Playoff teams aren't looking to give up the type of assets Winnipeg would ask of them for a guy who isn't going to play until next year (I'm assuming WPG would want at least one player who can step in immediately, be it a rental or otherwise). That fact right there narrows the universe of potential suitors. Not only will they likely have greater demand at that time, but teams who are under pressure to take a step forward may have better offers. As a secondary consideration, it allows for a lot of this silliness to blow over.

I still think Kane has played his last game in Winnipeg, though.

Agree with all of this. Though I do think we are in a position to make a move for him now. But the Jets are more likely to wait for the draft to increase his potential return.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
Tough decision for the Jets

They could definitely get more if they wait till Summer or early next season.

But they could also definitely use some assets that could come from trading him now. Don't underestimate how desperate that franchise is to make the playoffs.

If I were them, I'd wait to maximize the return. But I'm not under the same pressure to win now.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I'm not sure which intern came up with this question but the current poll on the WGR website states:
Is trading for Evander Kane worth risking the 30th place finish?
YES
NO

There needs to be no further discussion since, for once, we can all agree on the absurdity of that question due to acquiring him having zero risk associated with our draft position.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I think the peg has blown his situation and character out of proportion. Winnipeg doesn't really have the veterans in place to handle him. Throwing his clothes in the shower seems pretty immature and a piss poor way to handle him. Seguin had the same issues in Boston so they traded him and he's made them look like a fool. I haven't really heard anything bad about Seguins character since. The combination of trading him and surrounding him with veterans like Gionta and Gorges along with our other strong character players could really help him turn himself around. I'm sure Murray could always add another vet in free agency to turn him around. If all it costs us is a UFA (Stafford/Stewart) and redundant prospects and picks why not take a chance on him? He still has the potential to be a constant 30 goal scorer especially if he's playing with a franchise player in McEichel.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I would absolutely be interested in Kane. For a team starved for offense he'd be a nice add. This team needs to do start doing better next year and move up the standings. Kane could help with that. He's not even signed that long. Three years for a kid that's desperate for a fresh start. If you can get him on the cheap, what's to lose? Sabres have a ton of assets who should be used on players like this. If he doesn't work out, big deal, you could probably still flip him with a year left on his contract without having to lose much sleep over it.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
A 23 year old kid with millions of dollars, documented attitude issues coming to a small city/hockey market like Buffalo... who is currently battling for last in the league and will likely continue to do so for another year or two at least before we start to turn it around. I also can't find it (so maybe I'm off base), but I swear he's on the growing list of younger players taking shots at the city via social media for being small and having nothing to do.

Seems like a bad recipe in terms of bringing in players who WANT to be here. Which was pretty much Murray's MO coming in the front door. I wouldn't give up the farm for him. Might consider the OP's offer just because I don't see Stafford/Stewart and Foligno as long term solutions here either and we have more 1sts then we know what to do with... and if Kane actually turned the off-ice stuff around, his on-ice talent is a heck of a reward.

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC
I'm not sure which intern came up with this question but the current poll on the WGR website states:
Is trading for Evander Kane worth risking the 30th place finish?
YES
NO

There needs to be no further discussion since, for once, we can all agree on the absurdity of that question due to acquiring him having zero risk associated with our draft position.

Team gets better by moving out Staff/Stew and bringing up Armia? :shakehead

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Team gets better by moving out Staff/Stew and bringing up Armia? :shakehead

Whats with the shaking head?

You do realize that Armia has taken time to adjust to each league that he's entered, right?

If you expect Armia to be better than either Stafford or Stewart, then that's what is :shakehead worthy.

If Armia does get the call, hopefully his adjustment period is over after his taste this year.

Chemical

Jul 22, 2014
I want him. On the main board WPG fans have said their needs are roster players, specifically replacement winger(s) and LHD. They want to make the playoffs this year badly. What about retaining some of Georges' salary and adding a combination of picks/ prospects and Stafford/stewart/Hodgson? I think there's a deal that benefits both teams in there somewhere.

Some are going to say losing Georges leaves the young D exposed, but only for the last 20 or so games then we sign a FA in the offseason.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Get it done, Timmy.

I'm confused as to why this is important to anyone. Considering most prospects his age have been in the league only a two years or so. Again not trying to punish him for making the league as a teenager, but I'd rather see a comparison with him to guys his age over the last three seasons, when most of the NHL level guys his age would also be in the league. I mean nobody thinks a guy like Drouin has less upside because he went to junior last year and isn't putting up huge numbers this year.

Not saying whether we should want him or not, but since this stat has been brought up a couple times I find it very bizarre.

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC
Whats with the shaking head?

You do realize that Armia has taken time to adjust to each league that he's entered, right?

If you expect Armia to be better than either Stafford or Stewart, then that's what is :shakehead worthy.

If Armia does get the call, hopefully his adjustment period is over after his taste this year.

Armia may one day be better but that's not happening this year thus moving one of Staff/Stew isn't going to hurt the tank.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Guy is getting surgery. What makes people think he's available to be traded now? Winnipeg will wait until they get the best offer. That will come in the offseason when there are more suitors. This is all pomp and circumstance for now. But that's what trades on this board are for. It's never about actual trades. And this is why I stay out of the Trade Forum.

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC
Waiting till the offseason doesn't help them make the playoffs this year. They may indeed wait but if they kiss the playoffs it has to be entered into the ledger as a cost to Winnipeg.

I'd pursue him if I'm Tim Murray and hope that he's the next Tyler Seguin and just needs a change of scenery and that the presence of guys like Gorges and Gionta will help steady the kids off ice behavior. My lone hesitation is that we're already asking those same vets to do that with Zadorov and don't want to spread the messengers too thin.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If I were Murray, I'd try and see if I could get someone who is friends with a longtime Jets/Thrashers teammate of Kane's and get some intel on what's really going on.

At a minimum, he's got some of the entitlement/immaturity issues that say Grigorenko has seemed to have gotten past.

I'd be wary of adding Kane. I know the optimists want to point to Seguin to the Stars. But, I don't see Kane being as good as Seguin is.

Add in the fact that Kane has missed decent chunks of time every year but the shortened 12-13 season and the fact that he isn't paid like the 40 to 50 pt winger he's been, and I'd be a bit scared if the Sabres did add him.

And as far as Schopp & the Bulldog go, I think they are of the mindset that anyone over 21yo on the Sabres sucks and adding anyone else would be a good move.

Adding a former top 5 overall pick for Ennis+ is a good idea to them because they have the mindset that the Sabres haven't won anything with Ennis.

On the flip side, I'd ask what the Jets/Thrashers have won with Kane....

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Chevy-wont-give-Kane-away-291222931.html

If you think Kevin Cheveldayoff is going to trade Evander Kane for less than what the GM thinks his asset is worth you haven’t been paying attention.
Cheveldayoff doesn’t trade for the sake of trading. It’s not a sport for him or the source of an adrenaline rush or ego boost. He’s deliberate and unflinching. Sure, it makes for fewer swaps, but it also limits the potential for getting fleeced.

It’s not so much Cheveldayoff isn’t willing to make trades, according to GMs from around the league, it’s that he’s unwilling to come off his asking price. The Jets GM simply refuses to buy into desperation and emotion and that won’t be any different when it comes to dealing Kane.

Certainly, Cheveldayoff would like to get a deal done prior to the March 2nd trade deadline, but if it’s not there he won’t panic. The organization will have parameters an offer for Kane will have to meet. If suitors aren’t willing to meet the determined value of the player, the Jets will simply wait this out until the summer.

--------------------------------

Talking to teams around the NHL over the weekend, Cheveldayoff is listening to offers for Kane and the market seems split into two categories: Teams in the playoffs and those out of the picture.

Those still in the hunt don’t want to give away roster players and are pushing futures packages.

Teams on the outside are pushing contracts and current players in Winnipeg’s direction.

Kane is viewed around the league as a very good young player with a friendly contract that has three years remaining and a cap hit of $5.25 million per season.

The standard asking price for a player with these elements is as follows: A young NHL player, a grade A prospect and a first round draft pick.

There is also potential for a deal involving a player considered to be of equal value to Kane in a straight up one-for-one swap.

A deal involving Kane is complex because the player is hurt and can’t help a team this season.

The timing of a deal is also a factor. If Cheveldayoff wants to do something right now in order to help his team secure a playoff berth, he will be pushing a diminished asset regardless of whether he agrees with the evaluation. Kane had surgery on Saturday, and, to a degree, he’ll be a question mark until he’s fully recovered in four to six months.

So, I wonder what the young NHL player and Grade A prospect they would expect for Kane, if that is what Chevy is looking to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA