Evander Kane thread: would you, and for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No thanks. There's other fish in the sea. They may be difficult to catch, they may not be as coveted as Kane (talent wise), but I'd prefer Murray fish elsewhere.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I think it's at least worth inquiring about to see what the price may be. If it's some combination of a pending UFA(s), middling prospect(s) or potentially a late first or second round pick it may be worth the gamble. We do have a couple of veterans on the team and Kane would join the (hopefully) competitive 2015/16 Sabres instead of the tanking 14/15 ones. If it was going to cost a piece that seems likely to be a valuable contributor to the future Sabres then it's not worth the risk.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Can you trade for a player while he's actively on IR? If not, that takes the idea of flipping Stafford and/or Stewart or any of the pending UFA's off the table. I've never heard of a player getting traded while he was on IR.

I wouldn't mind bringing Kane into the mix, we definitely need star-caliber wingers to go with the center depth we've acquired. I don't want him badly enough to remotely consider giving up assets I really care about though. Pending UFA's and a late 1st...fine, if that's allowed.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Can you trade for a player while he's actively on IR? If not, that takes the idea of flipping Stafford and/or Stewart or any of the pending UFA's off the table. I've never heard of a player getting traded while he was on IR.

I wouldn't mind bringing Kane into the mix, we definitely need star-caliber wingers to go with the center depth we've acquired. I don't want him badly enough to remotely consider giving up assets I really care about though. Pending UFA's and a late 1st...fine, if that's allowed.

Yes you can. Medical records just have to be checked over.

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
No, I think I'd pass. IMO, attitude matters, and a lot too. Roy, Connoly, Vanek, Stafford, Gaustad and Pomminville had a lot of talent but didn't have the heart, or right attitude make the team winners.

I'm old school and love the difference in interviews between NHLers and let's say a lot of nfl interviews. NHL guys praise their line mates, nflers praise themselves. I'll take team first guy all day long over a me first guy.

It seems, obviously I don't know Kane personally, he is a me first guy.

Stay on target, stay on course, don't think he's the difference maker we are looking for. Flavor of the month. Pass.

i agree completely, but, i think the same was said about Seguin, and for a UFA, a late 1st, and a piece that isn't in the future plan, he's a proven commodity that could be flipped, no?

if he doesn't work out

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
When even a mixed-raced team leader, who probably deals with race issues just as much as you do, is throwing your clothes in the shower to send a message, you start to question the "misunderstood" mindset of an individual and zero on the fact that the kid may still be immature and doesn't act professional at times.

A personality like that isn't good for a young team.

I'd pass on him until he's UFA and we're looking for a quality top six forward to fill in out the lineup. If that never happens, so be it.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm not interested. I think there's a big chance that Buffalo would be fed up with him by the time his contract is up, and they won't be winning any Cups in that time frame anyway. The chance that Kane gets squared away and becomes a long-term roster player is worth Stafford/Stewart and #31. That's as far as I'd go.

From Winnipeg's pov though, I think they should want Stafford and another wing prospect like Baptiste in order to cover their replacement needs both now and for the future. I don't think they can realistically expect more than that or an equivalent offer like Stafford and #20.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
i agree completely, but, i think the same was said about Seguin, and for a UFA, a late 1st, and a piece that isn't in the future plan, he's a proven commodity that could be flipped, no?

if he doesn't work out

This.

We have an abundance of assets we can use. We wouldn't be selling the farm for him. Sure it could end up not working out but it's a high reward, low risk scenario.

Stafford or Stewart
NYI or STL 1st
Baptiste/Carrier/Bailey/etc

We have enough pieces where we can afford to deal those assets.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Over his NHL career, Kane's point per game average is .615. Drew Stafford is .573. So people want to trade Stafford plus a prospect and a first rounder for a headcase that may be a slight upgrade in points? Remember how we laughed at the Isles for giving us Moulson, a first and a second for Vanek?

No thanks. I like Kane, I think he has talent, but he is really a younger Chris Stewart - a player with skill and size that can't really get it together. Maybe he will, but I'm not holding my breath and I'm certainly not about to put up any real assets to trade for him.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
This.

We have an abundance of assets we can use. We wouldn't be selling the farm for him. Sure it could end up not working out but it's a high reward, low risk scenario.

Stafford or Stewart
NYI or STL 1st
Baptiste/Carrier/Bailey/etc

We have enough pieces where we can afford to deal those assets.

It's not a low risk, high reward scenario. The guy has a cap hit of $5,25M that comes off the books in 2018. There is currently a discussion about Hodgson's contract and some advocate that he should be bought out. We just bought out Leino and Ehrhoff. You want to add another potential cap buster? Plus, his rumoured attitude. I don't know if that's something I want around my rebuild.

High reward, yes. But also I high risk.

Puddy

Oct 24, 2002
parts unknown
Visit site
Kane is a 3rd liner on the Jets with limited hockey sense. He hustles on the forecheck but his only offensive move is to shoot from the wing with limited results.
And he is an idiot. Example: posting pictures in Vegas with stacks of cash during the lockout. That's why his teammates threw his clothes in the shower on a recent trip to Vancouver. After that Kane quit on the team and opted for season ending shoulder surgery. To his credit, he has been playing injured.
He will be available in the summer, but is a cancer we should avoid at all costs.

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo
I don't understand the infatuation with Ennis. Is he a nice player? Absolutely. Would I like to keep him going forward? Sure. But to get a player on Kane's level it should certainly be in the conversation. None of know what the real issues are in the Peg. Media could have completely overblown it. Or they could be spot on. But if the character isn't too big of a deal then let's get it done. Would be the ultimate tank move.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I don't understand the infatuation with Ennis. Is he a nice player? Absolutely. Would I like to keep him going forward? Sure. But to get a player on Kane's level it should certainly be in the conversation. None of know what the real issues are in the Peg. Media could have completely overblown it. Or they could be spot on. But if the character isn't too big of a deal then let's get it done. Would be the ultimate tank move.

Ennis is .614 over his career, to compare to Kane's .615. And those numbers are rounded off. If remember corectly, I came to .6144 on Ennis and .6149 on Kane. There's basically no difference in point production. There seems to be a lot of difference in attitude. I'll stick with Ennis.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I'd offer Winnipeg their pick of the pending free agents, a conditional first (whichever of the St Louis/NYI ends up being higher), and their choice of Larsson. Compher, Baptiste, or Lemieux

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Put me in the group that doesnt want Kane. Not the kind of character I would want around my young players on a rebuilding team.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If the Bills take Incognito, like it looks like, and the Sabres take Kane, we'd be getting the top dbag from each league. The bully and the bullied.

But Buffalo loves a good redemption story, and when you can get talent like that for pennies on the dollar, it's hard for a talent-poor team like buffalo to not at least think about it. I used to hate Pat Kane for that drunken assault stuff, but I think he's growing up, so it's not impossible. You could argue that what Pat Kane did was much worse. So I think you have to think hard about it. For me it all depends on what goes the other way.

Pysyk or Fasching and a 2nd would be the highest I would go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad