Evander Kane thread: would you, and for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
i'd do it.

i'd give up Stafford/Stewart, Stl 1st, and Foligno

Easily, I'd even replace Foligno with Compher if it was necessary. First line wingers dont come much cheaper than that. Plus the fact that he is injured and wont hurt the tank is an added bonus this year :)

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I guess we'll need a top 6 winger next year.

Stafford (50% retained)
Grigorenko
2015 1st

Can we get anyone better than him?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I guess we'll need a top 6 winger next year.

Stafford (50% retained)
Grigorenko
2015 1st

Can we get anyone better than him?

That's too much, I feel like. There are obviously some issues with this kid. The OP offer is pretty much where I'm at and as far as I would go. Maybe exchange Foligno for one of our mid tier prospects.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
Not even interested a little bit, to be honest.

WGR was willing to offer Ennis+ for him and I do not understand at all.

I do understand they are idiots a lot of the time, but I really don't see the appeal.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Not even interested a little bit, to be honest.

WGR was willing to offer Ennis+ for him and I do not understand at all.

I do understand they are idiots a lot of the time, but I really don't see the appeal.

I'm assuming it was Schopp and Parker? Or even Kevin and Andrew? Because all of them are idiots when it comes to sports analysis.

Howard and Jeremy are the only ones who are somewhat intelligent.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I'd give Stafford + Grigorenko + one of the late firsts, though I'd start talks with one of the seconds and let them talk me up to one of the firsts. If you think that is too much, Grigs is far from a sure thing right now, that being said, Kane is a top line winger, something we don't have in our system. Additionally, he is signed through 2018, meaning that he will still be around when we are ready to make a cup run if this rebuild goes as expected. Not only does this help us make the rebound after bottoming out go faster, but additionally, this helps us tank this year, because we are essentially trading away stafford with no immediate replacement. The guy wants out of Winnipeg, winnipeg was rumored to be interested in stafford the last few trade deadlines, and this gives them a patch to fill the hole he left, a prospect that would probably become one of their better prospects, with a high ceiling, and an extra first rounder in this draft.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
I'm assuming it was Schopp and Parker? Or even Kevin and Andrew? Because all of them are idiots when it comes to sports analysis.

Howard and Jeremy are the only ones who are somewhat intelligent.

I think it was Schopp and Bulldog who were talking about Ennis. Their reasoning was basically "Kane is better than Ennis, off-ice issues be damned - go for the best player".

I agree with that argument in general but I really doubt Ennis is going anywhere. And Kane's issues do scare me a little.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I think it was Schopp and Bulldog who were talking about Ennis. Their reasoning was basically "Kane is better than Ennis, off-ice issues be damned - go for the best player".

I agree with that argument in general but I really doubt Ennis is going anywhere. And Kane's issues do scare me a little.

I'd take Tyler Ennis's heart every single time. Dude gives 110% every night.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd take Tyler Ennis's heart every single time. Dude gives 110% every night.

Thing is, on the ice, so does Kane.

When he's on the ice, Kane is very much a true power forward who's becoming more physical every year. And he's maturing on ice as well, not being nearly the liability he was defensively.

The off-ice stuff does give me a hesitation. Yeah, there were rumors about Roy/Connolly/etc.....but nothing as nearly documented as Kane's issues....

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Thing is, on the ice, so does Kane.

When he's on the ice, Kane is very much a true power forward who's becoming more physical every year. And he's maturing on ice as well, not being nearly the liability he was defensively.

The off-ice stuff does give me a hesitation. Yeah, there were rumors about Roy/Connolly/etc.....but nothing as nearly documented as Kane's issues....

I haven't watched his game as much lately. But I do know that Murray really likes Ennis and he'd be one of the last guys Murray would deal.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Why the infatuation with Kane? Is this like the O'Reilly mancrush? Why do people want headcases on this team? No thanks.

I'm not much for bringing in personalities like him, but I get why people would. The fact that he's immature drives his price down.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
No, I think I'd pass. IMO, attitude matters, and a lot too. Roy, Connoly, Vanek, Stafford, Gaustad and Pomminville had a lot of talent but didn't have the heart, or right attitude make the team winners.

I'm old school and love the difference in interviews between NHLers and let's say a lot of nfl interviews. NHL guys praise their line mates, nflers praise themselves. I'll take team first guy all day long over a me first guy.

It seems, obviously I don't know Kane personally, he is a me first guy.

Stay on target, stay on course, don't think he's the difference maker we are looking for. Flavor of the month. Pass.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
WGR, the same guys who wanted to give Afinogenov a lifetime contract because of his entertainment value? Heh. They're idiots about hockey and continue to do nothing to disprove that.

Personally, I think Kane is not a player who's attitude points to a winner. This latest episode of pout does not bode well, especially for a team looking to build.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I wouldn't give any real pieces. But we have a ton of bit parts that might be considered good pieces on teams with less organizational depth.

Stewart/Stafford + Larsson/McCabe/Baptiste/Bailey + NYI 2nd

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I'd give Stafford + Grigorenko + one of the late firsts, though I'd start talks with one of the seconds and let them talk me up to one of the firsts. If you think that is too much, Grigs is far from a sure thing right now, that being said, Kane is a top line winger, something we don't have in our system. Additionally, he is signed through 2018, meaning that he will still be around when we are ready to make a cup run if this rebuild goes as expected. Not only does this help us make the rebound after bottoming out go faster, but additionally, this helps us tank this year, because we are essentially trading away stafford with no immediate replacement. The guy wants out of Winnipeg, winnipeg was rumored to be interested in stafford the last few trade deadlines, and this gives them a patch to fill the hole he left, a prospect that would probably become one of their better prospects, with a high ceiling, and an extra first rounder in this draft.

That is pretty much what I would offer

Stafford
Grigorenko
Isles 2nd 2015

or

Stewart
Grigorenko
Blues 1st 2015

I think those are both good offers considering the circumstances. The Jets don't have as much bargaining power currently as they did previously with Kane. Stafford or Stewart would offer them a replacement of for Kane while getting a top prospect in Grigorenko plus either a 1st or 2nd depending on the deal they choose. If we end up drafting one of McDavid or Eichel....I am assuming Grigorenko will be moved to wing or traded. We don't need Kane this year, so this is somewhat an ideal time for Buffalo to acquire him. Sometimes timing is your greatest asset in a trade. It will be interesting to see the return that Kane gets.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I wouldn't give any real pieces. But we have a ton of bit parts that might be considered good pieces on teams with less organizational depth.

Stewart/Stafford + Larsson/McCabe/Baptiste/Bailey + NYI 2nd

I really don't think that's close to being what they'd be asking for in a deal, even if Kane's value has taken a huge dive. I'd obviously do that from a Sabres' POV, though.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I really don't think that's close to being what they'd be asking for in a deal, even if Kane's value has taken a huge dive. I'd obviously do that from a Sabres' POV, though.

Because of the timing (midseason) and circumstances (supposed orginzational problems and injury)....I don't know if I can see Kane returning more than Bobby Ryan did. Could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad