Evander Kane spears Binnington

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I imagine binnington had just given him a chop on the leg, and he was trying to give one back. He missed and hit him in the dick instead. Not great but not a big deal either.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doesn't matter what preceded it. It was stupid and selfish of Kane when they were on the PP. Binnington said he didn't do anything to deserve it in the post game and I think everyone knows he sold it.

Reactions: MK9 and Luckylarry

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought putting the toe end of the stick blade into a swing like this is spearing, not slashing?

My understanding of a slash is that the swing is perpendicular to the body. A spear is parallel to the body. Contact is generally the same (slash perpendicular, spear parallel). I don't believe my understanding is definitive.

However, in this instance, the swing is perpendicular, and some parallel tip to tip impact occurs. I can see why you guys are arguing it's a spear.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Doesn't matter what preceded it. It was stupid and selfish of Kane when they were on the PP. Binnington said he didn't do anything to deserve it in the post game and I think everyone knows he sold it.

giphy.gif

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
I imagine binnington had just given him a chop on the leg, and he was trying to give one back. He missed and hit him in the dick instead. Not great but not a big deal either.
I watched the game and they showed the replay leading up to the slash/spear and I didn't see anything that you're suggesting happened. It may have happened earlier in the game and Kane was returning the favor but nothing directly before.

Kane was by far the worst SJ player on the ice though and looked like he couldn't keep his head in the game.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
My understanding of a slash is that the swing is perpendicular to the body. A spear is parallel to the body. Contact is generally the same (slash perpendicular, spear parallel). I don't believe my understanding is definitive.

However, in this instance, the swing is perpendicular, and some parallel tip to tip impact occurs. I can see why you guys are arguing it's a spear.

The difference in the two isn't the swing but rather what part of the stick actually hits the opposing player. When a player is speared, the contact area is only 2 inches or so (think the width of the blade) while a slash is typically the entire shaft. With the entire force concentrated in a smaller area, the ability to do damage to soft tissue is intensified. Think of the guy laying on a bed of nails vs the same guy laying on 5 nails.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Id like to see what was going on prior to the spear. Where was the puck anyway? Seemed like Kane was just standing in front of the goalie with no one around.

If there was some goalie chops to his back achillies that immediately preceded this - maybe just a fine, maybe nothing

If this was out of the blue or as some retribution for something that happened on a prior shift - fine or maybe suspend for 1 game. You cant have guys spearing goalies away from the play and give him 2 mins. Refs are giving 2 min minors out like there candy for holding/interference right now. This deserves more than some innocuous hold in the corner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad