Evander Kane goes off on DoPS

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
"How can I make this about the Leafs?". Like clockwork.
I was using it as an example of how Parros is horrible at his job and there is no consistency. However I see you have no problem with this reply about an illegal hit on McAvoy that wasn't given a suspension since you liked that reply.

Lauzon gets 2 games and Crouse hits McAvoy worse and gets nothing in the same game. Parros is useless, Kane is no saint but makes a point. How come there is no video of the incident?

Reactions: WillNy29

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Can he get fined for saying this?

I agree with him 100% though

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I was using it as an example of how Parros is horrible at his job and there is no consistency. However I see you have no problem with this reply about an illegal hit on McAvoy that wasn't given a suspension since you liked that reply.
Gee thanks for dragging me into this. This was to counter the countless vids on Chara. I fing it funny because there is not one video on the incident of topic - Kane. Just wanted to show Parros is a league wide loser.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
He's right, but he deserves the suspension and I dare say 3 sounds about right. Leave it to Evander Kane to rightly point out how awful the DOPS is on one of the rare occasions they pretty much didn't screw up.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Perceived inconsistency is an inevitability. Not only because the rulebook is not written in a tight way and thus a whole range of decisions can be justified for any one incident, but also because just about everyone who analyzes DoPS decisions isn't evaluating them for fairness and logic, but rather is comparing them to their own personal first impression when they see an incident.

This kind of perceived inconsistency is much more likely to be a result of how hastily people jump to conclusions, how little introspective analysis is done in those conclusions, and thus how much inconsistency there is in those first impressions. This statement by Kane is equally hasty and without due consideration. Unlike most fans, the DoPS analyzes plays critically and breaks down all factors. When players, fans and media do the same, then they can have a conversation about consistency. When you have people saying [incident 1] is 'literally identical to' [incident 2] when there are significant differences between them, that conversation is pointless and goes nowhere.

Kane is absolutely right when he said that very few people in the NHL understand the rules and how they lead to decisions. I think it's about time they start paying attention.
You keep saying perceived....it's not perceived, it is in fact inconsistent

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Gee thanks for dragging me into this. This was to contour the countless vids on Chara. I fing it funny because there is not one video on the incident of topic - Kane. Just wanted to show Parros is a league wide loser.
You happen to be collateral damage because @BruinLVGA liked your reply and seems to have a problem with me using an illegal hit against Travis Dermott that should have also been a suspension under Parros and it was not.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
You happen to be collateral damage because @BruinLVGA liked your reply and seems to have a problem with me using an illegal hit against Travis Dermott that should have also been a suspension under Parros and it was not.
No problem and it looks like the Leafs are being screwed from your stat. At the same time the Bruins are not actually benefiting in any way. In fact they pay the price a lot. No one will believe it but as a fan I see it all the time. Just the way it is but Parros needs to go and Kane is still a punk but right in this case. For the record I thought Chara should have got a game but Lauzon should have got nothing with Crouse getting off free.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You keep saying perceived....it's not perceived, it is in fact inconsistent

The DoPS is judging things that are inherently qualitative. Elbowing someone in the head is a penalty in the rules in all circumstances, but is only elevated to a suspension by qualitative considerations such as degree of violence and intent. Given that degree of violence and intent are not quantitative assessments, it is completely normal for different people to come to different views, and order incidents differently according to these criteria. The concept of inconsistency can't really be applied to something like this. Think of it like this:

Incident A and Incident B happen in the same week. We can group people into three groups based on whether they think A is worse than B, B is worse than A, or that the two incidents were exactly the same in terms of the qualitative criteria that factors into supplemental discipline. If Incident A received a 2 game suspension, what decision can the DoPS make that will not be seen as "inconsistent" by two out of the three groups?

This is simply the nature of the rules in the NHL. If they make any elbow to the head, whether a love tap or attempted murder, a flat X-game suspension, that is a far worse and far less fair system. I just want people to think about whether the nature of this type of criticism is fair.

I do not always come to the same conclusion on my own about DoPS rulings, but I do think that their approach to their job right now is exactly what it is meant to be. That we have different opinions on qualitative assessments is neither surprising nor meaningful in the long run.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
1 I was using it as an example of how Parros is horrible at his job and there is no consistency. 2 However I see you have no problem with this reply about an illegal hit on McAvoy that wasn't given a suspension since you liked that reply.

1. "Plus no players have been suspended for illegal hits against the Maple Leafs since 2013 which is the longest streak in the NHL".

This says instead that you were trying to make it about the Leafs, with a "poor me" type of argument.
One could almost hear :nopity:: it was THAT blatant.

2. I liked that as an example of how Parros is horrible at his job and there's no consistency. Would you say that you agree with this line of thought? Had that poster written a tears-inducing, boo-hooing sentence about how the Bruins are mistreated by the league - like you did - I would not have liked it.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
He's not wrong. I think he deserves a suspension.

But Lucic did the same exact hit as Kane on Ferraro two games in a row and didn't even get a hearing. Parros refuses to suspend players that injure or are dangerous to Sharks players. No surprise he hated the Sharks when he was with the Ducks.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No problem and it looks like the Leafs are being screwed from your stat. At the same time the Bruins are not actually benefiting in any way. In fact they pay the price a lot. No one will believe it but as a fan I see it all the time. Just the way it is but Parros needs to go and Kane is still a punk but right in this case. For the record I thought Chara should have got a game but Lauzon should have got nothing with Crouse getting off free.
Honestly I hope no Leafs players are given illegal hits that will injure them and cause them to miss games. However when you see the video of Dermott getting hit like that it's hard to believe no players have been suspended for hits like that against them since 2013.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I love this. He's 100% correct and I'm glad somebody finally called out this joke of a league. Now all we're missing is someone calling out the way the game is officiated in the same way.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
1. "Plus no players have been suspended for illegal hits against the Maple Leafs since 2013 which is the longest streak in the NHL".

This says instead that you were trying to make it about the Leafs, with a "poor me" type of argument.
One could almost hear :nopity:: it was THAT blatant.

2. I liked that as an example of how Parros is horrible at his job and there's no consistency. Would you say that you agree with this line of thought? Had that poster written a tears-inducing, boo-hooing sentence about how the Bruins are mistreated by the league - like you did - I would not have liked it.
It was a combination of that hit on Dermott which should have resulted in Okposo being suspended and it's still a fact that when illegal hits have been done against any Leafs players, those haven't resulted in suspensions against them since 2013.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Honestly I hope no Leafs players are given illegal hits that will injure them and cause them to miss games. However when you see the video of Dermott getting hit like that it's hard to believe no players have been suspended for hits like that against them since 2013.
I agree hate to see that stuff, here is the Crouse hit on McAvoy and only a minor penalty.

This is the Kane one and it looks bad

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It was a combination of that hit on Dermott which should have resulted in Okposo being suspended and it's still a fact that when illegal hits have been done against any Leafs players, those haven't resulted in suspensions against them since 2013.
Whoosh.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The DoPS is judging things that are inherently qualitative. Elbowing someone in the head is a penalty in the rules in all circumstances, but is only elevated to a suspension by qualitative considerations such as degree of violence and intent. Given that degree of violence and intent are not quantitative assessments, it is completely normal for different people to come to different views, and order incidents differently according to these criteria. The concept of inconsistency can't really be applied to something like this. Think of it like this:

Incident A and Incident B happen in the same week. We can group people into three groups based on whether they think A is worse than B, B is worse than A, or that the two incidents were exactly the same in terms of the qualitative criteria that factors into supplemental discipline. If Incident A received a 2 game suspension, what decision can the DoPS make that will not be seen as "inconsistent" by two out of the three groups?

This is simply the nature of the rules in the NHL. If they make any elbow to the head, whether a love tap or attempted murder, a flat X-game suspension, that is a far worse and far less fair system. I just want people to think about whether the nature of this type of criticism is fair.

I do not always come to the same conclusion on my own about DoPS rulings, but I do think that their approach to their job right now is exactly what it is meant to be. That we have different opinions on qualitative assessments is neither surprising nor meaningful in the long run.

That is all absolute bull. Kane showed 2 clips that had much far worse intent in them and level of violence in the plays that got 0 games. So he doesn't even keep up with his own set of perameters on plays like this.

The more likely reasoning is parros is a f***ing brain dead goon that still can't tell the difference between right and wrong.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I know this might be a crazy idea but hear me out - maybe they shouldn't hire former goons as heads of DoPS?
Some part of me thinks that DoPS didn't punish Lindgren from his hit on Donskoi just because Kadri kicked the shit out of him. I mean, probably for Parros, justice was served right there and that was the end of it.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad