Brian Flynn, Beside game 1, Absent
Tom Gilbert, nothing to say
Alexei Emelin , nothing to say
Jacob De La Rose, kid is 19yo
C+
C
Andrei Markov , Rough 1st round
C-

Great assessement...I agree with your take on Desharnais...made some great passes and played hard...guys need to bury the chances they have!!!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Wait, Subban had "troubles" now?

He played a great series overall. Just not to the level most would expect out of "playoffs Subban". But troubles, really? Am I missing something?

Putting his team shorthanded for 32 minutes of a pivotal game 1 and risking a potential suspension is problematic for me. It isn't for you?

How about his antics in game2 where he cost us a goal because he engaged in a selfish, retributive out-of-position bodycheck on Karlsson?

Regardless, I understand his troubles because he had a good series otherwise and 4pts in 6 games for a team as offensively inept as ours is impressive.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Most players were less then impressive

Price, prusty, eller, mitchell, weise, petry were only ones to hit expectations.

Guys like subban, pleks and gallagher were still good but didnt play to their best still.

The rest were varying degrees of below average to simply trash

RussCourtnallsGhost

Jul 10, 2006
Montreal
One good moment right? Shows you were not the one getting slammed into the boards by a bigger team. Habs battled hard and won as a team.

Personal, personal, don’t get personal, that’s childish. This is a discussion board. What, in your opinion, were their other good plays? I’d love to be convinced otherwise, as I like both of these guys.

As to your comment on “battling hardâ€, I’d argue that Desharnais battled hard but was still relatively useless(he’s a finesse player anyway, he’ll never outmuscle anyone), while Pacioretty barely battled at all (hopefully because he’s still injured, and not because he’s not motivated.)

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
P.K. Subban - Can turn it up some, B
Tomas Plekanec - Still a little girl, C
Torrey Mitchell - Face-offs and nothing more, C-
Brian Flynn - One great game, then invisible, C
Max Pacioretty - Injured, and invisible, C
Dale Weise - What more do you want from a grinder?, B
Brendan Gallagher - All guts, B
Alex Galchenyuk - Disapointing, C+
Lars Eller - Best forward, B+
David Desharnais - Warmed up dog crap, D
Brandon Prust - Not much grind for a grinder, C
Greg Pateryn - Not bad, C+
Tom Gilbert - Too mny mistakes, C
Andrei Markov - Bone-headed plays, own goal, C
Alexei Emelin - Good hits, liabillity, C
Devante Smith-Pelly - Was good for two games, then vanished, C
Nathan Beaulieu - Wasn't playing before injury, C
Jeff Petry - Hope he stays come summer, B
Jacob De La Rose - Had a rough time, C+
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau - Brings nothing, C

Desharnais...played better than Galchenyuk...he was hard on the puck despite his size...best passer on the team...though he needs to shoot more when the opportunity presents itself!!!

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Most players were less then impressive

Price, prusty, eller, mitchell, weise, petry were only ones to hit expectations.

Guys like subban, pleks and gallagher were still good but didnt play to their best still.

The rest were varying degrees of below average to simply trash

Agreed...Subban was very average...couldn't get his shot on the net...also made some giveaways...Markov...can't play any worse.
Eller played really well...though he remains offensively challenged.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
P.K. Subban - B- he has another level
Tomas Plekanec - C+ he did a lot of great things but he definitely can bring more
Torrey Mitchell - C he did is job. Not great, not bad
Brian Flynn - C-, nothing after game 1
Max Pacioretty - coming back from a concussion. I will give him an incomplete.
Dale Weise - A-, for a grinder he does his job damn well and scored a GWG in OT
Brendan Gallagher - A- his relentless effort, his determination is inspiring
Alex Galchenyuk - C, disappointed
Lars Eller - A, the best forward in all facets, he was the one forward no Ottawa Dman could handle
David Desharnais - D- simply too small, can't compete in the postseason. A liability.
Brandon Prust - B-, solid effort
Greg Pateryn - B-, played solid D. Was completely at ease having him out there.
Tom Gilbert - C, I just cringe when he is out there. He does on occasion make a big play though.
Andrei Markov - C-, This was the worst I have ever seen Markov play in 13+ years.
Alexei Emelin - B-, he got better as the series moved along.
Devante Smith-Pelly - D+, expecting way more. Very disappointed
Nathan Beaulieu - C, he only played 3 games, all 3 wins...he still has not evolved as I hoped.
Jeff Petry - B+, Habs best D IMO in this round
Jacob De La Rose - C+, he got better as the series moved along. He plays solid defensively. Still a teenager
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau - D, Clearly not worth the 4 million per. He brings less than Briere.
Price- A+! Nothing to add! The best there is.

Price...for me...was a B+...he had a save % .800 during game 5.
He was flawless in game 6!!

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
For all of their flaws, I'm not sure benching DD and PAP in favor of Flynn/DLR/Bournival is the way to go. You're scratching 2 guys with, at least, some track record as offensive contributors for 3 guys with limited upside that are better suited for 4th line duties.

DD and PAP are fine - good, even - if used on a third line. The line-up you're suggesting just doesn't have nearly enough punch offensively, in my opinion.

Agreed...JDLR...needs to be stronger on the puck.
DD and PAP...are always near the opposing net...creating chances...they are fine.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Impressed by Price, Pateryn and Eller. Liked Mitchell, Flynn and Gallagher. Weise was ok, too many floating nights early on.

I understand Markov, Subban and Gilbert's troubles.

Furious at Pacioretty, Desharnais (like always) and Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk...a disappointment for a guy who was selected 3rd overall!!!
Looks very average out there!! Creates very little offensively...

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
Pacioretty, while not up to par in this series, looked very solid to me in Game 6. He seemed dangerous when bearing down on defenders, made a solid (if not great) play at the blueline on the Gallagher goal, and outskated/outmuscled Karlsson to set up plekanec for a goal that he should have scored.

While that doesn't negate the previous 5 games, it seems to indicate that he was still recovering from his concussion, and will only get stronger the more he recovers. I'm not too worried about him.

People saying Subban had a poor series are setting the standard for PK way too high. Sure, he didn't have a "Round 2 against Boston" level performance, but he is still leading our team in scoring, and is somehow a +1 despite playing with a scarily pedestrian Markov. My only criticism of Subban is that too often he tried to take matters into his own hands when the Habs were down, usually with limited success. Other than that i thought he played awesome.

Also, while Pateryn was impressive, hopefully Beaulieu isn't out for too much longer because with Markov on the fritz, we desperately need some puck moving ability on that left side.

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
With a B meaning they did what I wanted them to do, everyone below didn't everyone above did better than expected.

Carey Price: A+

Lars Eller: A
Jeff Petry: A

Brendan Gallagher: A-
Dale Weise: A-

Greg Pateryn: B+
Tom Gilbert: B+

Torrey Mitchell: B
Devante Smith-Pelly: B
PK Subban: B
Brandon Prust: B

Tomas Plekanec: B-

David Desharnais: C+
Jacob De La Rose: C+

Brian Flynn: C
Nathan Beaulieu: C

Max Pacioretty: C-
PA Parenteau: C-
Alexei Emelin: C-
Andrei Markov: C-

Alex Galchenyuk: D+

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Personal, personal, don’t get personal, that’s childish. This is a discussion board. What, in your opinion, were their other good plays? I’d love to be convinced otherwise, as I like both of these guys.

As to your comment on “battling hardâ€, I’d argue that Desharnais battled hard but was still relatively useless(he’s a finesse player anyway, he’ll never outmuscle anyone), while Pacioretty barely battled at all (hopefully because he’s still injured, and not because he’s not motivated.)

DD battled hard along the boards, won some battles had scoring chances setup teammates other then Gallagher he was the most visible forward over all. If the habs were so terrible why didn't Ottawa win? TB have better players yet they are facing elimination? DD is part of a team. The team wins therefore he wins. Not useless.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
I thought most of our players played on par with their skill level.

On the plus side Petry I guess was a pleasant surprise. I expected him to simply be a decent second pairing player, especially considering this was his first appearance in the playoffs, but he turned out to be very good.

Going forward, I expect more from Subban, Markov, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. Not that they were bad, but as the go-to guys on the the team and our most skilled players, we need them to be better than good, we need them to be excellent.

Nynja*

Granted its round 1 analysis, Patch picked it up near the end. I cant blame someone who just had a brain injury to be cautious with contact.

kohorevolution

Apr 8, 2015
Rimouski
Pacioretty: Physical game is lacking somewhat, may still be playing hurt. C+
Desharnais: Don't listen to the haters.. 110% every shift. B
Smith-Pelly: Physical, not much in the way of hands though. C+
Galchenyuk: Somewhat invisible, lacking confidence. C-
Plekanec: Steady but unspectacular. B
Gallagher: Caused a ruckus every shift. A
De La Rose: Solid... for a 19yo. B-
Eller: This is the Eller we've been waiting for. B+
Weise: The man! A
Prust: Great, only thing missing is hands. B+
Mitchell: Very solid. B-
Flynn: Showed flashes but mostly just lost the puck. C-
Parenteau: Solid, made some things happen. B

Price: Game 6 was his best. That Carey every game would mean #25. B+

Markov: Defensive miscues. Needs to generate more. C
Subban: Pretty solid PK, there's another level. B+
Emelin: Again, a lot of haters. Mostly solid. B
Petry: Moves the puck perhaps better than any other Hab, jumped in. A
Gilbert: Bad giveaways, suicide pass, screening Price. Good game 6 though. C-
Pateryn: Very solid despite experience, physical. B
Beaulieu: Played very well when healthy. B

This is the thruth about DD, he tries real hard and plays a good game. Unfortunately, hes too small to show his offensive potential during the playoffs. What would you guys do in his place? Ask Therrien to play on the 3rd line? I see alot of blind hate about him on this board... He just tries his best every shift so what's the problem?

Did you guys also notice he played only 13 min last game in comparison to eller and plecks 17s...

I also like Eller but I think you guys overrate him because you think it's a better solution than DD... Hes really good i puck protection but he sometimes keeps it for too long, not that great of a passer!!

Bottom line, please give credits to DD's efforts. Hes not the one choosing his minutes of play!!

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Desharnais / Plekanec / Galchenyuk / Pacioretty = F
Harsh...

Indeed. I mean, how do Desharnais and Plekanec get the same grade? Handling the toughest assignments, getting 3 points, and leading the forwards with +3 and 22 shots, vs gravy assignments, 2 points, and "leading" the forwards with -2 while registering 8 shots... Of all the forwards who have seen 6 games, only 4th liners DLR and Mitchell have put fewer pucks on the net, lol. And the only time the PP seemed to get any flow going was in the last half of most of them with Pleks' "2nd unit" out there. There's at least one grade in the difference between the contribution of those two guys in particular, imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
This is the thruth about DD, he tries real hard and plays a good game. Unfortunately, hes too small to show his offensive potential during the playoffs. What would you guys do in his place? Ask Therrien to play on the 3rd line? I see alot of blind hate about him on this board... He just tries his best every shift so what's the problem?

It's not blind hate at all. The reasons he shouldn't be on a team with "legitimate" Stanley Cup hopes are readily obvious to (almost) anyone with eyes. Trying "really hard", for him, meant knocking a guy over once after losing the puck, rather than the usual falling down himself while losing the puck... He's small, slow, weak, lazy, and uncreative. Basically the exact opposite of a playoff prototype. But man, I bet you he looks really good tossing around passes in practice with no one trying to hit him, and all the time in the world. :rolleyes:

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I think many of you are really harsh on some players.

A kid like Galchenyuk doesnt have the same style as players like gallagher. Players like Gallagher have to try extra hard just to get points. TONS of heart.

You cant jus tlook at the stat line the way most of you do. Although I agree that Chucky had a tough first round ( as did most of our forwards) he did get as many points as Eller, Gallagher, Desharnais, Weise and Prust..... He also scored an OT winner...

the kid has 8 points in 16 career playoff games. and he just turned 21. I mean he has almost as many points as Desharnais has in 34 playoff games.

Plekanec is another player everyone picked on...

he had 3 points, went head to head against Turris who had 0 ES points in the series.

He always does that though. Without being flashy, without highlight reel type play.. always succeeds at his defensive tasks in the playoffs.. and his PPG in the playoffs is something like .68

Pateryn and Petry were our Best D. emelin was good in a few games but made bonehead plays. Gilbert got better and better. Markov was off almost all series. like he never got that own goal off his mind. beaulieu didnt play much cuz he got injured.

subban had some bad moments but has all the skills in the world to make up for it by tearing it up on the scoresheet.

Imagine OUR PP worked.
Up front we had:

Eller
Weise
Plek
Prust
Gallagher
Mitchell
FLynn

all deserving praise for their first round.

Chucky gets a pass cuz of his age and OT winner but absolutely needs to improve in the next round.

everyone else goes from disappointing to absolutely horribad.

kohorevolution

Apr 8, 2015
Rimouski
By blind hate I mean... People giving him D mark and say he was ******* bad... What did they expect from him?? I mean, it's david desharnais not Jonathan Toews!!!

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
By blind hate I mean... People giving him D mark and say he was ******* bad... What did they expect from him?? I mean, it's david desharnais not Jonathan Toews!!!

Not Jonathan Toews?! He wasn't even Torrey Mitchell... He deserves a D mark at best, though an F wouldn't quite make sense given we won the series.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Funny how we all disagree with each other now that we have no Sens fans to beat up on..

The time in between series is great.. continuing with the trend, this must be half the posters in this thread watching the series...

head-up-ass.jpg

The amount of hate DD has received in this thread, and even Gilbert is laughable.. I wouldn't grade DD an A or even a B, but he did play hard every shift and won a lot of board battles that he normally loses all the time. He made things happen when paired with PAP. He deserves to be in the lineup, preferably centering the 3rd line with PAP while Eller gets more minutes with the big boys.

Gilbert and Petry were amazing. Besides one bad game from Gilbert he was steady all series long. Most of the criticism needs to come down on Turtle boy, Chucky, Old Man Markov and Patches. We expect more from them and they were invisible all series long. Besides the game winner in OT, Chucky was flat out terrible. If Anderson was in net that game he wouldn't of even scored that. They better bring in against the Wings/Bolts or we're done in Round 2.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Why would plekanec deserve more hate? Why are you expecting more from him then DESHARNAIS?

DD plays with pacioretty .. except the last two games...

DD gets First PP minutes.

DD isnt going up against the best skaters from the other team.

Chucky wasnt great.. but he did have an OT winner and as many points as DD... Chucky is also 20.

DD has been a disappointment since forever. The thought of him being our #1 Center is so depressing.

And if you cant agree with that last line.. then all the power to you

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal

I expect an offensive production of some sort as he's getting (undeservedly) prime PP time. But I guess you're right, the guy has 2 goals and 12 pts in 33 playoffs games, at this point nothing should be expected from this useless hack whatsoever.

But he's trying hard tho, that's cute.

Capitaine Subban*

Carey Price A
P.K. Subban B
Tomas Plekanec C+
Torrey Mitchell B-
Brian Flynn C
Max Pacioretty C
Dale Weise B-
Brendan Gallagher B
Alex Galchenyuk F
Lars Eller B+
David Desharnais C
Brandon Prust C+
Greg Pateryn B-
Tom Gilbert B-
Andrei Markov C
Alexei Emelin C+
Devante Smith-Pelly C
Nathan Beaulieu B-
Jeff Petry A-
Jacob De La Rose D
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau C-

Capitaine Subban*

A+: Price
A: Eller, Petry
B+: Gallagher, Prust, Mitchell, Pateryn (surprised me)
B: Subban, Gilbert (had a very good series outside game 4), Flynn (trailed off after game 1)
B-: Plekanec, Emelin, Weise (didn't do much all series outside game 3), Beaulieu (had a really bad game in game 3?)
C: Markov, Desharnais,
D: Galchenyuk, DLR, Pacioretty, DSP (the guy was invisible for 80% of the series)
F: Parenteau

Nice grades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad