European Superleague plan: Do you support it?

European Superleague plans: Do you support it?

• Total voters

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Atleast their money and greed allowed the sport to be played on somewhat equal grounds.
Right! :popcorn:
When was the last time a small club won the CL and how many time another club than the top 6 won a premier league title since the 2000s? Leicester and?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Your posts have been borderline unbearable regarding this, I don’t even know the position your taking.
My position is that everybody here acting like hypocrites. How can these owner have been so greedy? How football died? How horrible are the american owners? The CL is the best system we have to distribute revenue! Without fans there is no football! Etc.

Football has shifted more and more from the 1990s to now toward the big clubs and the TV deals and manipulation from them to keep their power accross all europe and has helped created the monster that are these 12 clubs ( I should say 14 clubs but you know they will probably join too). We fans, all have been part and contributed to that system. People are shocked like if money in football just happened yesterday? No, football is nothing close to be even remote to what it used to be in the 1970s. And now, the big clubs that we helped become what they are now have figured out that they can bypass the CL authority to make their own version of a super league and keep the money to themselves. That is greedy? 100%! is it horrible? Absolutely but we all contributed to that by cheering everytime our team got a new record signing or continued making more and more money by signing larger sponsor deals.

For the record, in 30 years, the salaries have increased more than tenfold and same with the transfer fees. If people did care about the integrity of the sports they would/should have acted way before than now. We are now experiencing the consequence of our own action.

Barcelona/Real Madrid/Manchester United have evolved into super power that can get any player they want and pay their players 3 times more than any other clubs. The players were happy so they could get their money and obviously never complained. They joined no name clubs like Man City because they offered them larger wages. Same with the CL which tried to implement a fake way to control the spending with the FFP. As we have seen that was never effective against the larger clubs and only affected the smaller clubs.

Now we big club fans are hypocrites if we say, how could my club have done that? We were all part of that. We might claim injustice burn our jerseys or stop watching football altogether it won't stop them. The damage are done. The FIFA threat are ridiculous also, how can the f***ing FIFA of all people talk about integrity? They are the perfect example themselves of greediness and corruption.

That is my take. I think people are uterly optimistic if they believe they can stop them. I am sure they already have big tv deals lined up and possibly large sponsors too. We might ignore them but in the long run they will get back some fans until they can become the 'new' normal and possibly 20 years from now people will talk about the CL as the old system like we talk about defunct league or championships.

I am not sure the clubs expected that much of a push back but they did not sign this without knowing what could be the immediate consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteWorrell

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
we all contributed to that by cheering everytime our team got a new record signing or continued making more and more money by signing larger sponsor deals.

Speak for yourself, masses of people have been cheering for homegrown players and grassroots involvement all along. Asking for affordable ticket prices instead of the next big signing.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Speak for yourself, masses of people have been cheering for homegrown players and grassroots involvement all along. Asking for affordable ticket prices instead of the next big signing.
I am 100% talking about myself. I am not even european so obviously affordable ticket prices have never been one of my concerns.

Well how that worked? Did the club stopped their big signing?

Edit:

I think the league if they can get the right TV deals and sponsor might be fonctional with almost no fans in the stand . You know what is the irony? Their ticket price might actually be cheaper than ever!

Last edited:

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
When was the last time a small club won the CL and how many time another club than the top 6 won a premier league title since the 2000s? Leicester and?

What is possible is more important than the actual outcome.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I am 100% talking about myself. I am not even european so obviously affordable ticket prices have never been one of my concerns.

Some have, for example German football is mostly sustainable. That is not to say perfect, but things have not spiraled out of control largely thanks to a degree of democratic control. In England negative developments could have been prevented too if the supporters had more say.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Edit:

I think the league if they can get the right TV deals and sponsor might be fonctional with almost no fans in the stand . You know what is the irony? Their ticket price might actually be cheaper than ever!

At first, to create a "habit" and win back their fans, sure. As time passes? Tickets will rise and rise as the clubs will target the corporate money just like pro teams in NA sports do. Why will they do that? To sell high-priced season tickets and raise their predictable revenue.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Inter fan here. So they want to take all the money and make up a gimmick tourney among the Europe's elite? Oh wow, it would be so f***ing meaningful to watch Inter-Real Madrid or Inter-Manchester United playing every given week in a tourney which means nothing, even less since it's an elitist group, with some "invites" given out every year. The f***!
Something wonderful like Leicester winning the Premiership (it's an example, I know the Superleague is a different project... for now) would never happen in a system like this and money would always remain in the same elite club, I say f*** IT!
I think pips are overreacting because I just can't see something like this happen for real, the 12 will be forced to back down or maybe they just want to force the hand of UEFA to get more money (how strange...).
Fifa and UEFA are corrupted af, the current system sucks too, I agree, but the Superleague is NOT the answer.

Reactions: Jablkon

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
What did Liverpool win in first decade? So as Arsenal or Tottenham now? Valencia around 2000 was threetimes in CL finals if I remember clear. Sevilla is internationally much more succesful than some of these clubs. Monaco and Celtic were better in first decade than Atletico Madrid, Spurs, City etc. Its just a league for rich owners, nothing more. Good you said you are not from Europe. Football is based on continents. You can not butcher European football because your own football suck an you are ready to watch euro teams. I guess south americans dont care much. They have their own product.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
As a Man Utd fan I will have no problem walking away from them if this happens and it won't even be that hard.

The last decade has been hard to be a United fan - not because of our on-pitch decline and lack of trophies. That's normal, I can take that, its part of the natural cycle of sport. What makes it hard to be a fan is that we have bloodsucking leeches for owners who will spend the bare minimum to qualify for the CL and get that $$$$, and thats all they're bothered about. Winning trophies is so completely irrelevant to them, literally unimportant (apart from maybe the prize money increasing their revenue by a few more shekels).

Meanwhile, our stadium, one of the finest, most historic, most famous in the world is literally rusting away as they won't spend a single cent on upkeep, let alone rebuilding it or expansion whilst they sit in their mansions thousands of miles away with more money than Crassus, and its still not enough.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I hope they do it and then I hope it backfires so much that all clubs involved runs out of money, because no fan will accept this abomination. Not that JP Morgan cares about anything of this, as long as they get to milk the system for another quadrillion USD.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They are, but the situation aren't really analog. German teams really do cater to their fans and they have a big say in all matters, Spanish counterparts have elected autocrats who cater to their own best interest.

It's not all some kind of paradise though. Bayern's bosses have been chafing against the culture of fan influence, chafing against the influence of the FA. It's pretty funny to hear Rummenigge as one of the big critics of the Super League given that he has been among those forcing UEFA into more and more concessions to the big clubs and has spear-headed an aggressive course of commercialization at Bayern. I don't trust Bayern one bit on this to be honest. The more I think about it, the more I take their position to be a clever but manipulative one. If the ESL collapses, their position is strengthened immensely, if it goes ahead, they are big enough to join at a later date simply claiming that it's necessary for survival. Heck they would probably present it as a favor to German football saying the country couldn't afford to not be represented in the Super League.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
It's not all some kind of paradise though. Bayern's bosses have been chafing against the culture of fan influence, chafing against the influence of the FA. It's pretty funny to hear Rummenigge as one of the big critics of the Super League given that he has been among those forcing UEFA into more and more concessions to the big clubs and has spear-headed an aggressive course of commercialization at Bayern. I don't trust Bayern one bit on this to be honest. The more I think about it, the more I take their position to be a clever but manipulative one. If the ESL collapses, their position is strengthened immensely, if it goes ahead, they are big enough to join at a later date simply claiming that it's necessary for survival. Heck they would probably present it as a favor to German football saying the country couldn't afford to not be represented in the Super League.
Absolutely. They are every bit as shady as those 12, I was just saying that the voice of a fan carries far more weight in DE than in England or Spain. I have no illusions they did it out of kindness to fans, same with PSG the who have vested interests in regards to Qatar's attempt to sportwash their image, coupled with a lot of money Qatar invested in the WC and CL through BeIn.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
My position is that everybody here acting like hypocrites. How can these owner have been so greedy? How football died? How horrible are the american owners? The CL is the best system we have to distribute revenue! Without fans there is no football! Etc.

Football has shifted more and more from the 1990s to now toward the big clubs and the TV deals and manipulation from them to keep their power accross all europe and has helped created the monster that are these 12 clubs ( I should say 14 clubs but you know they will probably join too). We fans, all have been part and contributed to that system. People are shocked like if money in football just happened yesterday? No, football is nothing close to be even remote to what it used to be in the 1970s. And now, the big clubs that we helped become what they are now have figured out that they can bypass the CL authority to make their own version of a super league and keep the money to themselves. That is greedy? 100%! is it horrible? Absolutely but we all contributed to that by cheering everytime our team got a new record signing or continued making more and more money by signing larger sponsor deals.

For the record, in 30 years, the salaries have increased more than tenfold and same with the transfer fees. If people did care about the integrity of the sports they would/should have acted way before than now. We are now experiencing the consequence of our own action.

Barcelona/Real Madrid/Manchester United have evolved into super power that can get any player they want and pay their players 3 times more than any other clubs. The players were happy so they could get their money and obviously never complained. They joined no name clubs like Man City because they offered them larger wages. Same with the CL which tried to implement a fake way to control the spending with the FFP. As we have seen that was never effective against the larger clubs and only affected the smaller clubs.

Now we big club fans are hypocrites if we say, how could my club have done that? We were all part of that. We might claim injustice burn our jerseys or stop watching football altogether it won't stop them. The damage are done. The FIFA threat are ridiculous also, how can the f***ing FIFA of all people talk about integrity? They are the perfect example themselves of greediness and corruption.

That is my take. I think people are uterly optimistic if they believe they can stop them. I am sure they already have big tv deals lined up and possibly large sponsors too. We might ignore them but in the long run they will get back some fans until they can become the 'new' normal and possibly 20 years from now people will talk about the CL as the old system like we talk about defunct league or championships.

I am not sure the clubs expected that much of a push back but they did not sign this without knowing what could be the immediate consequences.

Nobody is under the illusion that money doesnt run the sport. How can it not when its that big? I for one have been yammering on the transfers price on here for years like some others. However, what position are we in really? If tomorrow I boycott football does it matter, would anything change? No, would they even notice absolutely not. The fans have next to zero power. They have two choices watch and the show goes on or not watch and the show still goes on. What's happening right now is changing the game forever, shorten games, the end of most derbies, zero cinderella stories, the privatization of success that really what it is. Everything bad about the game that we stomached will get infinitely worse and if you cant see that, your on an island. Theres a reason why people from different backgrounds and different values have for the most part been in unity.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'll go on record saying, I don't know that I can turn away from something I've invested so much time and effort in. 2 decades isn't forever, when you consider generational families that are invested, and I'm not a local. But... I can't say I wouldn't watch matches.

I am hopeful that it will fall apart. It will also take a hit of some of how much I care. Though, I've been across that bridge a few times with strikes, with terrible owners (I am burdened with a football team fandom of an owner that I would happily trade for FSG in a millisecond), with cheap owners, you name it.

But it's still really tough.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I mainly watch MLS but tune in for big match-ups. This format is designed to bring in more casual fans like myself. By having more big matchups with some form of parity, more casual people will tune in around the world. Many people i know say they won't watch but will definitely end up tuning in to watch just so they don't miss out on big games. This may turn off alot of die hard fans but in the end bring in more fans. That is their ultimate goal. Bringing in massive local and foreign TV contracts will make this new league into a cash cow.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Absolutely. They are every bit as shady as those 12, I was just saying that the voice of a fan carries far more weight in DE than in England or Spain. I have no illusions they did it out of kindness to fans, same with PSG the who have vested interests in regards to Qatar's attempt to sportwash their image, coupled with a lot of money Qatar invested in the WC and CL through BeIn.

That's a bit harsh though. Whatever is wrong with the likes of Hoeneß, Beckenbauer, Rummenigge, and plenty enough is, even so they're still former players that genuinely care about the club and the game rather than mere capitalists looking for opportunities to exploit it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mainly watch MLS but tune in for big match-ups. This format is designed to bring in more casual fans like myself. By having more big matchups with some form of parity, more casual people will tune in around the world. Many people i know say they won't watch but will definitely end up tuning in to watch just so they don't miss out on big games. This may turn off alot of die hard fans but in the end bring in more fans. That is their ultimate goal. Bringing in massive local and foreign TV contracts will make this new league into a cash cow.

It won't last because its not really big matches anymore if they happen every week. It will get boring quickly and even among the super rich teams in the SL here there's massive imbalance because some of the invited teams actually suck and will get their ass handed to them every week just like a smaller team does.

Like whats the point of Arsenal losing to a big name club every week ?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Why wait to see if this goes through to end your support for the club? The owners have already shown their hand and even if they don't end up going through with this you know what their greed is capable of.

Reactions: luiginb

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It won't last because its not really big matches anymore if they happen every week. It will get boring quickly and even among the super rich teams in the SL here there's massive imbalance because some of the invited teams actually suck and will get their ass handed to them every week just like a smaller team does.

Like whats the point of Arsenal losing to a big name club every week ?

You do realize Arsenal has beaten Tottenham, Man U and Chelsea this year already. They could probably beat Inter and AC as well.

Besides this would just make Arsenal the underdog Cinderella team:laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You do realize Arsenal has beaten Tottenham, Man U and Chelsea this year already. They could probably beat Inter and AC as well.

Besides this would just make Arsenal the underdog Cinderella team:laugh:

I sincerely doubt that there will be such a thing as a "Cinderella story" in this abomination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad