European Superleague plan: Do you support it?

European Superleague plans: Do you support it?

• Total voters

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
The team I support is not one of the members, but I would 100% walk away from my team if they were in this. Money and greed ruining domestic leagues across Europe. Even if they continue Domestic league play, will it even matter if nothing is at stake? This sucks on so many levels...

Reactions: robertmac43

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I wouldn't be able to walk away from United fast enough if this happened. It'll suck and be horrible, but I've been a supporter of this team for about 17 years now, and like others, became attached before I fully understood all the behind the scenes shit. This however, is a low point and that's almost staggering to say considering where the club itself are at and headed. I know I'm a drop in an ocean, but just refuse to support or cheer on a team in a league like that.

Lived through years of Chris Smalling and Phil Jones at CB and its a f***ing Super League that ends my interest in this team :laugh:

Reactions: Jussi and PhysicX

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's an interesting idea no doubt, but comes across as a revenue stream than for the pride of football and why I stand with Neville. I'm always going to be an Gooner though for whatever happens that's beyond my control.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And yet they're now the faces in this feud! Bizarro world! Like Monday Night Raw after Mania (with fans in attendance).

Fans are basically stuck applauding UEFA for their slightly more inclusive version of greed because of the old and lasting adage - the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Meh...is there an apathetic stance? Likely just means less interest in the game for me. I'd rather see a European league with domestic qualification, so you still get those longshot teams that can have a great run and get in (even if it would be harder than today). But I think whether it's this year or a few years from now the game is going in this direction anyway and has been for a long time. Something something avoid clinging to the edifice of a decadent past something something.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I can't over the "relegation for some, but not for others" bullshit. It's worse than if the league was entirely closed off and only consisted of the founding members. Imagine if one of the the newer invitees or 'promoted' teams finished well ahead of one of the 'original' clubs in the table, but still ended up getting relegated because they're not granted the special big boy immunity. It's farcical. Professional sports might be a business with the intention of making profits, but it's still a business based on the merit of win-loss results.

Some casuals might welcome a new European league molded in the vision of North American franchise sports, but this is more like the equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees being granted an automatic playoff spot every year no matter what they did during the regular season.

Reactions: Evilo

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Am I the only one that loves the Super League? I’m an extremely casual soccer fan but this has me pumped. The hardcore fans are always going to watch. Even the fans freaking out now screaming boycott will watch. This will attract the casuals and grow the game significantly. Can’t wait for this thing to get going.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Am I the only one that loves the Super League? I’m an extremely casual soccer fan but this has me pumped. The hardcore fans are always going to watch. Even the fans freaking out now screaming boycott will watch. This will attract the casuals and grow the game significantly. Can’t wait for this thing to get going.

..how?

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
This is a case of a new bigger disgrace than the one you know about. UEFA and FIFA are mafia to begin with. This Super League would be an even bigger mafia.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This is a case of a new bigger disgrace than the one you know about. UEFA and FIFA are mafia to begin with. This Super League would be an even bigger mafia.
I do find it kind of funny how the SL is making it seem like their “fixing football” because UEFA and FIFA have done such a bad job at the top, which isn’t incorrect. But the fact that they’re going fix everything and be less corrupt when they’re in the process of destroying the sport is an impressive lack of awareness.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
wait and see.
i like to have an open mind.
shame others are so closeminded and are overreacting

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

Soccer is not some niche sport that needs 'casuals' to grow its audience. What you refer to as the 'hardcore' fans make up the vast majority of the viewership that the sport depends on, and they seem to be extremely displeased. It's elicited disgust from a large portion of the very fanbases of the clubs involved, even the overseas supporters who one would think wouldn't mind as much. Damn near everyone involved in the sport except a handful of owners and executives who are the ones mainly standing to profit from this, thinks this is a bad idea.

Not to mention the consequences this may have at the grassroots level of the sport.

No likely you’re not understanding what this means.

"You guys are just close-minded" while ignoring the mountain of valid points and concerns by everyone from UEFA down to the fans criticizing this.

I'm sure all the pundits, players, former players, fans, domestic leagues, various other organizations, etc. that have expressed their disapproval are just "close-minded".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad