European players that Cherry has given credit to?

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
He doesn't fear them he just doesn't like them. The word has started to become synonymous with people who don't like and or hate foreigners as well.

If he doesn't fear them, then it's not a phobia. I know it's trendy to attach labels like bigot and whatever-phobe to anyone who has a different belief, but it's incorrect.

Don didn't like the "outsourcing" if you will, of players for European countries because it meant less North Americans could play in the league. You can hold that stance without being full of hate and fear. It's not an "anti-euro" stance so much as its "pro-NA". Theres nothing inherently wrong with wanting what's best for the people in your country.

I don't even necessarily agree with Don, but not all opposing opinion is bigoted. Open your damn mind and try to understand where other people are coming from.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Sorry, but Websters says otherwise.

"Fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners".

Don doesn't fear or hate other nationalities. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to do you are free to do.

Sounds like he's a xenophobe to me.
Although he also hates French-Canadians as well, who aren't really foreigners.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If he doesn't fear them, then it's not a phobia. I know it's trendy to attach labels like bigot and whatever-phobe to anyone who has a different belief, but it's incorrect.

Don didn't like the "outsourcing" if you will, of players for European countries because it meant less North Americans could play in the league. You can hold that stance without being full of hate and fear. It's not an "anti-euro" stance so much as its "pro-NA". Theres nothing inherently wrong with wanting what's best for the people in your country.

I don't even necessarily agree with Don, but not all opposing opinion is bigoted. Open your damn mind and try to understand where other people are coming from.

I could care less what Cherry says. Just clarifying how words can sometimes take on new meanings.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I guess I look at the people getting upset at Cherry the same way they look at me when I don't like an over the top goal celebration, "whats the big deal?"

"OMG xenophobe" Really? He's like a huge homer for a sports team, and the members of his "team" are basically Canadian hockey players. Like on HF where you can begrudgingly give kudos to a great player on an opponents team, Don does to the occasional Euro.

Its like taking offense to the Bruins fans when they call the Habs divers. Get over yourselves people.:laugh:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Guy lived through WW2 and the Cold War, in his day it was perfectly fine to be xenophobic. Times very different from today. If he was American, people would celebrate his patriotism and applaud his loyalty.

I don't even think he is xenophobic. He prefers the game to be played in a certain, rather draconian way. Europeans play differently, on the most part, or at least that is the stereotype that Don believes.

If you don't like what he has to say then change the channel for the five minutes he is on TV.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He called Holmstrom one of the 5 best net front players he's ever seen. Not a stretch by any means, but a compliment nonetheless.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Don has also compared Bure to Bobby Orr.

To be honest.. the way they aggressively attacked with their skating wasn't too dissimilar..

He's been plenty complimentary to Ovi too, despite the fact people only mention his celebration complaints.

Yeah he likes players who play like Ovi.. but no one likes a guy who acts like he has never scored before when he pots one..

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I heard he likes any player who battles hard and gets the puck on the net to get a big win for us today with a great group of guys I think obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad