European players that Cherry has given credit to?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
He gave Nikita Soshnikov some props last season, but also pointed out a play were he was too slow going to the bench for a change.

To be fair, that was a pretty accurate criticism.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Maclean basically forced him to say something good about him after the game last night.

It was kinda funny, he had to admit Nylander was a good player, I think he said he'd score 22 goals (or something like that). Maclean basically forced him admit that Nylander was good. You just knew Grapes would bring up the double flamingo though.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
I've come to think that half of what he says is to stay in character. Cause some times he'll randomly "fall in love" with some European player.

Anyway...just reminded me of the old commercial.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Don has also compared Bure to Bobby Orr.

He's been plenty complimentary to Ovi too, despite the fact people only mention his celebration complaints.

and yet one of his favourite players, Marc Savard, would jump in the boards after a goal, and never said anything about it.

Such a hypocrite on top of being a xenophobe and prejudiced.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Has he said anything positive about W. Nylander, yet?

Not yet. Wanted him to play 'more like Marner', whatever that means. They're both extremely talented players but Willie is successful because he plays like Willie. Marner has an unreal engine while Willie is so cerebral that he knows where the puck is and will be all the time. They both have elite vision but in different ways and they need to play their own styles to be successful and help the team.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
I remember him praising "Sacco Koivo" during his Montreal days.

He's also had good things to say about Miikka Kiprusoff several times.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I think Cherry's reluctance to compliment Nylander might have less to do with him being Swedish and more to do with his insistence that they should have picked Ritchie, which is looking increasingly incorrect with each passing game.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I remember him raving about Kulemin on occasion... saying basically he did all the small things right was a Canadian born in Russia.

Tbf he does play like that! :laugh:
He did before but then at the end of Kulemin's tenure with the Leafs he randomly called him out and said why is he on the team making 2M. It was so random and absurd.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Cherry still getting guys riled up after all these years.

He does his job well.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
It's literally his job to be outrageous. Maclean is the voice of reason. It's an act, plenty of people love it, I do. He reminds me of my favourite movie, Slapshot.

The guy is way calmer, nicer in person.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
He liked Yashin, at least in one of his rockem sockem videos he did.

"You know I have to admit, I like this guy"

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He actually loved Kovalchuk before he burned him for going back to the KHL. Basically said he could do it all, score, throw big hits, fight. He gave him credit after knocking out Schenn, dropping them with Phanuef.

The thing he loved Kovy most for was going after Avery in the playoffs. He asked Avery to drop em and Avery coward and did his agitator thing. Cherry was all over that but I feel it was more intended to be a gut punch to Avery who had fired back at Cherry for criticism given on coaches corner.

Loved when Cherry gave Kovy credit for being a true leader. In his prime I dont see anyone being a more rounded guy than Kovy, could score 50, throw huge hits, kill penalties and he didnt pick numbers when going after someone to fight. He was as electrifying of a player we would ever see, speed to burn with an OV like shot.

Glad I'm not the only die-hard Kovy fan. He was my favourite player growing up, and is my 2nd favourite player of all time.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
[mod]

Wikipedia used to have literally 26 citations for a single sentence that said Cherry was a xenophobe because people like you kept disputing it.

He's a xenophobe, plain and simple. And I say this as a Canadian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Wikipedia used to have literally 26 citations for a single sentence that said Cherry was a xenophobe because people like you kept disputing it.

He's a xenophobe, plain and simple. And I say this as a Canadian.

You realize a phobia relates to a fear of something right? You think Don is fearful of foreign people? FEARFUL?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
You realize a phobia relates to a fear of something right? You think Don is fearful of foreign people? FEARFUL?

This isn't at all what xenophobia means. Around the world people of certain groups get attacked by the "nationalists" because of the xenophobia.

Xenophobia isn't a fear of a specific group, it is a fear of one's culture be impacted by the presence of that group.

It is a FACT that Cherry absolutely HATES what Europeans have done to NHL, as do other Canadian good ole boys. Europeans brought skill to roster spots that were once occupied by some dudes that could barely skate, but were great at throwing sucker punches.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
This isn't at all what xenophobia means. Around the world people of certain groups get attacked by the "nationalists" because of the xenophobia.

Xenophobia isn't a fear of a specific group, it is a fear of one's culture be impacted by the presence of that group.

It is a FACT that Cherry absolutely HATES what Europeans have done to NHL, as do other Canadian good ole boys. Europeans brought skill to roster spots that were once occupied by some dudes that could barely skate, but were great at throwing sucker punches.

Sorry, but Websters says otherwise.

"Fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners".

Don doesn't fear or hate other nationalities. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to do you are free to do.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Who cares what old Cherry thinks. Don is basically like the Queen. He talks and does things but nobody cares outside of his core following which mostly consists of old people. He represents a bygone era and is the last thing the hockey traditionalists have to hold onto. He is entertaining sometimes and every once and awhile he draws attention to good things happening in smaller Canadian communities but outside of that mostly everything he says is useless.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sorry, but Websters says otherwise.

"Fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners".

Don doesn't fear or hate other nationalities. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to do you are free to do.

He doesn't fear them he just doesn't like them. The word has started to become synonymous with people who don't like and or hate foreigners as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad