GWT: Europa League - Group Stages

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Trivia of the day... Why was this goal (rightfully) disallowed?
It would have given Rennes the first place in the group.
Rennes feel cheated, but I read why it was disallowed and yes, it's the right call.
Freekick taker touched it twice in a row without anyone else touching it.

Didn't know VAR could review that, but yeah, it sucks but is the right call.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yup, that's it. Extremely rare outside penalty kick situations. Dumb rule, but still a rule.

Damn, OM touched woodwork twice, Brighton incapable to being dangerous and of course, they score on their first chance at the 88th.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Trivia of the day... Why was this goal (rightfully) disallowed?
It would have given Rennes the first place in the group.
Rennes feel cheated, but I read why it was disallowed and yes, it's the right call.
What shocked me the most if how they went well above 10m+ extra time on a 6min allocation. ( I did not watch the game, just odd to see that)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What shocked me the most if how they went well above 10m+ extra time on a 6min allocation. ( I did not watch the game, just odd to see that)
I didn't either, so I can't tell. Probably an injury or something.

EDIT : Looked it up. Cuenca had a freaky injury and had to be subed out with head injury.

Rangers showing some guts to go to Betis and win there to go through (and eliminate Betis). Well done.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
On LFC, again the youth players are simply put, not good enough and well off their rivals in the EPL. LFC academy for a club with their stature and revenue is shockingly awful.

Still a club VERY relient on Alisson, VVD and Salah staying injury free to have some shot for some silverware this year.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yup, that's it. Extremely rare outside penalty kick situations. Dumb rule, but still a rule.

Damn, OM touched woodwork twice, Brighton incapable to being dangerous and of course, they score on their first chance at the 88th.
The rule itself is fine, generally. That it applies to the post is silly. It makes sense for PKs but not FKs

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Damn, yesterday Antwerp beating Barça and now Union with the win against Liverpool. I know both clubs rested guys but still thats an amazing week.
Too bad for Union that LASK lost to Toulouse but hey now they might go on a nice Conf. League run.
Also if Amoura continues to play like this he might be the new Boniface.
lol I saw this tweet right before reading your post

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The “knockout playoffs” draw is on December 18 with the seeded teams being the group runners-up and the unseeded teams being the eight drop outs from the CL

The eight group winners get a bye to the Round of 16: West Ham, Brighton, Rangers, Atalanta, Liverpool, Villarreal, Slavia Prague and Bayer Leverkusen

For the playoff draw, the EL group runners-up play second leg at home and only restriction is teams from same country cannot be drawn against each othrr

SEEDED: Freiburg, Marseille, Sparta Prague, Sporting CP, Toulouse, Stade Rennes, Roma, Qarabag
UNSEEDED: Galatasaray, Lens, Braga, Benfica, Feyenoord, Milan, Young Boys, Shakhtar Donetsk

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Freekick taker touched it twice in a row without anyone else touching it.

Didn't know VAR could review that, but yeah, it sucks but is the right call.

I didn't realize the reason to disallow the goal when watching the match live (without sound) as I was watching another match with commentary on at the same time. They showed only one replay which didn't make it clear either.

But like you said, good thing they spotted it, this happens very rarely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad