GWT: Europa League Final | May 31, 2023 | Budapest | Sevilla-Roma

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Erik Lamela finally wins something, and it was against his former club. Until now, he had always ended up as runner-up.

Sevilla gonna finish bottom half of La Liga but play in the CL. Love it.

Quite a turnaround in fortunes, they were two points off relegation when Mendilibar took over.

Reactions: luiginb

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Would have wanted Roma to win it were it not for Mourinho. That’s what you get for employing him.

Erik Lamela finally wins something, and it was against his former club. Until now, he had always ended up as runner-up.

Quite a turnaround in fortunes, they were two points off relegation when Mendilibar took over.

They could even finish 7th if the results roll their way. Either way, really didn’t think they’d get to the final this year much less win the Europa League. Starting to feel preordained.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Sevilla are Europa League royalty. Even when they are bad domestically, they find a way to win it.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Roma's best players just cant remain fit, they were the better team in the first half then Dybala/Pellegrini/ Abraham etc had to come off.

Partially why thier season went off the rails too, once they plus Smalling got injured they had no depth to tread water.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Amazing how Mourinho managed to turn Roma into an utterly unlikeable team. Hope they can him

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Honestly the game was kind of well managed by Taylor. He made two bad decisions, one on each side. The foul not called that lead to Dybala goal and the handball by Sevilla which should have been a penalty. The rest was a shit show between both teams always complaining about everything to Taylor. He did well to hand out yellow cards to Roma players that dove and to the player that kept coming to his face agressively.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Honestly the game was kind of well managed by Taylor. He made two bad decisions, one on each side. The foul not called that lead to Dybala goal and the handball by Sevilla which should have been a penalty. The rest was a shit show between both teams always complaining about everything to Taylor. He did well to hand out yellow cards to Roma players that dove and to the player that kept coming to his face agressively.

I think both of those decisions were dead on.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There's a video circulating of Mou in the parking lot ( hes done this before) hurling insults at him. Typical.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'd love to see a season long ban for Mourinho going at the ref in the parking lot.

It's one thing to rave and scream on the pitch, but seeing/hearing the manager go at the ref in the parking lot just goes to show fans that something like what happened at the airport is also accessible.

Would be nice to force Roma to play in front of empty stadiums for a while, but it's pretty hard to track stuff happening at an airport back to team consequences despite everyone clearly that it's Roma fans and likely there was a fan organization who organized it even if they didn't directly say to harass Taylor.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I'd love to see a season long ban for Mourinho going at the ref in the parking lot.

It's one thing to rave and scream on the pitch, but seeing/hearing the manager go at the ref in the parking lot just goes to show fans that something like what happened at the airport is also accessible.

Would be nice to force Roma to play in front of empty stadiums for a while, but it's pretty hard to track stuff happening at an airport back to team consequences despite everyone clearly that it's Roma fans and likely there was a fan organization who organized it even if they didn't directly say to harass Taylor.

Mourinho should have been banned for that attack on Tito Villanova back then.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If I reffed pro I wouldn’t leave home without a mask for that reason. He should have put one on tbh. Some of these people out there are total morons.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
It’s a thankless job. I’ll happily criticise referees where I think it’s justified and I think many are pretty incompetent, but I draw the line at that.

Mourinho has a lot to answer for here. He incited the mob essentially.

I thought the officials had a decent game in the face of some of the worst crowding and abuse you’ll see.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
as a high school coach, no matter what happens or how the center ref / assistants do, I always fist bump them and say good game. Because I've been on the opposite end as a ref when players (and families + fans) consistently harass you during a game.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
as a high school coach, no matter what happens or how the center ref / assistants do, I always fist bump them and say good game. Because I've been on the opposite end as a ref when players (and families + fans) consistently harass you during a game.
Yeah, even as a player, I could get pretty sassy with refs (although I would generally keep it PG-13 at worse), but you always shake hands afterwards and tell them thanks. Every once and a while I'd discuss a call with them, but nothing rude at that point. When the game's over, the game is over. That's even more true now that I'm only playing rec soccer.

Reactions: Rob and JPBolts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad