GWT: Europa Conference League - Knockout Stages

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This match is such a perfect distillation of David Moyes. At home, European semi-final, against a Dutch side, and ZERO press. Just sit there and wait.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Absolute stonewall push on Paqueta not called, AZ go up and score lol.

Bad goal all around. No pressure and Areola whiffs at it big time. Pathetic play though, not taking it to this side. Moyes is the anti-Christ.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
West Ham go through.

Alkmaar supporters bumrushed the away section at the end of the match and physically attacked the supporters, where also the players' families were seated. Some West Ham players tried to get into the stands.

Another case of Dutch supporters gone wild.

• Wow
Reactions: luiginb

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Competitively, Basel would have been a better opponent for West Ham, but that's a proper cup final.

First European final for West Ham since 1976, and for Fiorentina since 1990.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
West Ham go through.

Alkmaar supporters bumrushed the away section at the end of the match and physically attacked the supporters, where also the players' families were seated. Some West Ham players tried to get into the stands.

One of the perverse things about the whole culture is, like, English sides in general (and West Ham especially) are known for their hooligans, so everyone wants a piece of them, it's like a whole part of the attraction of having them play in your town

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Would have been hilarious for West Ham to win this and get relegated so they could play in the Europa while in the championship.

Alas they played too well in the league the last month.

Reactions: maclean

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Would have been hilarious for West Ham to win this and get relegated so they could play in the Europa while in the championship.

Alas they played too well in the league the last month.
Not mathematically safe yet ;)

One of the perverse things about the whole culture is, like, English sides in general (and West Ham especially) are known for their hooligans, so everyone wants a piece of them, it's like a whole part of the attraction of having them play in your town
AZ also had a 150 supporters arrested just two weeks ago for anti-semitic chants, so as far as they're concerned, I don't think they need English visitors to act like idiots. Actually, now that I think about it, I think it was AZ supporters that attacked West Ham fans in Sevilla last year during the Europa campaign when they weren't even opponents lol.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

AZ also had a 150 supporters arrested just two weeks ago for anti-semitic chants, so as far as they're concerned, I don't think they need English visitors to act like idiots. Actually, now that I think about it, I think it was AZ supporters that attacked West Ham fans in Sevilla last year during the Europa campaign when they weren't even opponents lol.

I mean the statistical likelihood that a random hooligan who's looking for a fight is also a neo-nazi is astronomically high

Reactions: luiginb

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Weren't there fights in the streets between West Ham and AZ supporters before the match as well?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Fiorentina with a 129th minute winner at Basel

Jovic had three good chances to score before that, an open header alone in front of the goal, free volley shot again alone in front of the goal and then shooting into post when through alone.

He must be grateful for that Barak (who entered the match as a late sub) goal to save him from embarrassement.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Jovic had three good chances to score before that, an open header alone in front of the goal, free volley shot again alone in front of the goal and then shooting into post when through alone.

He must be grateful for that Barak (who entered the match as a late sub) goal to save him from embarrassement.

Mah, the first one was a great save, the volley was bad, the post came after the Barak gol. In other news, italian football is in such crisis...will you learn sooner or later?

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
West Ham go through.

It could have been worse if this big West Ham guy and his pal hadn't been there on the top of the stairs to fend off AZ supporters until the riot police got there:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It could have been worse if this big West Ham guy and his pal hadn't been there on the top of the stairs to fend off AZ supporters until the riot police got there:

Already being memorialized in East End lore:

Well, the source is what it is, but they refer to a Dutch news outlet NH:

West Ham and AZ Alkmaar fans clash in violent scenes
Ah, hadn’t seen that. That article makes it sound like they were caught in between two sets of Dutch club ultras.

There were some wild shots of Flynn Downes going into the crowd and throwing punches at the Alkmaar hooligans. Hopefully no West Ham players end up getting caught in the sanctions.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
By the way here, the final will be in Prague at a 20k seat stadium. Each club only gets a 5K allocation, so I can almost guarantee there will be trouble then too.

Thousands of drunk ticketless West Ham supporters spells trouble. Dumb by UEFA.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
By the way here, the final will be in Prague at a 20k seat stadium. Each club only gets a 5K allocation, so I can almost guarantee there will be trouble then too.

Thousands of drunk ticketless West Ham supporters spells trouble. Dumb by UEFA.

I live just around the corner from there, sounds like a great night to go wandering around the hood

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad