GWT: Europa Conference League - Knockout Stages

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Fiorentina with a big 4-0 win, both Jovic and Cabral scoring a pair.

I have to say Braga was definitely disappointing, I was expecting a more organized team but it was probably just one game. They played the entire second half with ten men, but they were bad in the first half as well.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Lazio through after rather low tempo, boring 0-0 draw against Cluj, who lost pretty much all hope after having a player sent off for 2nd yellow (dangerous tackle on Immobile).

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Lazio through after rather low tempo, boring 0-0 draw against Cluj, who lost pretty much all hope after having a player sent off for 2nd yellow (dangerous tackle on Immobile).
It's crazy how much of an offensive player Dan Petrescu was and how risk adverse and defensive he is as a coach.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Anderlecht through on penalties, less to do with scoring all their own PKs, but rather than you rarely such inept first three penalties that Ludogorets took. All were low, weak power and close to center, so the easiest saves a keeper can hope for in the shootout.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Sarri keeps being as embarassing as he's been all his career, complaining about the pitch in Cluj. He's beat the second best team in Romania 1-0 in 2 games, but sure, the pitch was the reason he couldn't motivate his team. I miss Simone Inzaghi at Lazio, class act and a much better product on the pitch. Sarriball is horrible.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Sarri keeps being as embarassing as he's been all his career, complaining about the pitch in Cluj. He's beat the second best team in Romania 1-0 in 2 games, but sure, the pitch was the reason he couldn't motivate his team. I miss Simone Inzaghi at Lazio, class act and a much better product on the pitch. Sarriball is horrible.

They played one man short in Roma for 80mins and won, yesterday they were in full control btw.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

One of the better possible draws for Djurgården all in all, let's go! Poznan is probably still a slight favorite in the tie though.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I find it very difficult to believe you've watched the game and came to this conclusion.

I saw the first leg, if it cheers you up it's always the same thing with the Lazio fans. Yesterday and this morning they were saying more or less the same thing you wrote, it's that instead of them I look more at the glass half full. This is an important month both for them and for Roma (there's the derby), and I think we'll know more at the end of the month.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Bumping this. Given the traffic here (and the fact that the match between Lazio/AZ on Tuesday went undiscussed), I haven't bothered to make a table, but the matchups are (with the first home team listed first):
  • Lazio - AZ Alkmaar
  • Anderlecht - Villareal
  • Sheriff Tiraspol - OGC Nice
  • AEK Larnaca - West Ham United
  • KAA Gent - Istanbul Besaksehir
  • FC Basel - Slovan Bratislava
  • ACF Fiorentina - Sivasspor
  • Lech Poznan - Djurgarden

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
West Ham cruised through in Cyprus, Antonio's goals looked well taken, but then again it wasn't the toughest of opponents.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
After Lazio's loss, to keep Italian hopes alive, at least Fiorentina managed a 1-0 win over Sivasspor, who had Max Gradel sent off for elbowing Martinez Quarta in the head with a minute left of added time.

Given the mediocre season they're having in Belgian league, Anderlecht didn't look out of place against Villarreal. From the handful of matches I've seen from him, Dane Anders Dreyer has looked good, and scored tonight with a nice shot. He got amongst his previous clubs as well, but I'm still bit surprised how well he has played.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Gent striker Gift Orban just scored a 3-minute hattrick against Basaksehir. Couple of days ago he had a 4-goal game in the Belgian League as well. Gent signed him two months ago from Stabaek in Norway.

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
With last name like that, I thought of an Hungarian striker, didn't know that's a Nigerian name. He indeed has had quite a scoring start to his career in European leagues.

His goals were well taken shots and his movement also looked good, finding those opens spaces.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Still 10 minutes to go but Anderlecht leading at Villarreal, would be a huge upset seeing how disastrous Anderlecht have been in the Belgian League

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Amazing, they did it. Two Belgian teams in the QF now.

Villarreal out, Lazio too after losing both games against AZ.

West Ham, Fiorentina, Nice, AZ, Gent, Anderlecht, Lech Poznan and Basel are your QF teams.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
VAR suck the joy out of football.. Should have continued without VAR just like in the group stages.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Still 10 minutes to go but Anderlecht leading at Villarreal, would be a huge upset seeing how disastrous Anderlecht have been in the Belgian League

Yeah, it's a surprise, and old man Slimani slotting home the winner. They defended well in both legs. Hopefully Verscaheren subsitution wasjust precautionary, he did well playing in a bit deeper i central midfield role.

Pavlidis - Karlsson was quite a combo for AZ, I would be surprised if the latter doesn't move to a bigger team next summer.

Todibo with a bad mistake, being a captain and botching his clearance like that. Of corse it didn't matter given thdifference in quality between teams, but not a good look on him.

All I want is for West Ham to win this competition but get relegated in the premier league.

Could very well happen. Haven't seen too much of Basel or Poznan this season, but none of the others are defensively solid. They can score quite well, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad