Euro: Euro 2024 Qualifying

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I’m probably seeing the world through a pair of orange goggles, but I can’t grasp the fact how Nathan Aké is still not always mentioned when the topic is about best CB’s in the world. He’s been better than van Dijk when donning the orange jersey.

Reactions: cgf

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I’m probably seeing the world through a pair of orange goggles, but I can’t grasp the fact how Nathan Aké is still not always mentioned when the topic is about best CB’s in the world. He’s been better than van Dijk when donning the orange jersey.

Ake has been pretty underrated here. If you search his name, many of them are "Ake is terrible" "Ake is a weak link"....etc.

I never bought that, he's quality.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think it’s because he’s not a locked in CB starter at City. He’s probably the third choice CB there.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think it’s because he’s not a locked in CB starter at City. He’s probably the third choice CB there.
True, but the fact that he's the third choice CB behind two CBs who most people would have in their top 10 in the world (Dias and Stones) and ahead of two very very good CBs (Akanji and Gvardiol) should give some indication as to his quality.

He's also really upped his game in the last few seasons. I thought he was good but not great at Bournemouth, but he's developed a lot at City.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
True, but the fact that he's the third choice CB behind two CBs who most people would have in their top 10 in the world (Dias and Stones) and ahead of two very very good CBs (Akanji and Gvardiol) should give some indication as to his quality.

He's also really upped his game in the last few seasons. I thought he was good but not great at Bournemouth, but he's developed a lot at City.
I completely agree. I'm a fan of Ake, but I think it's hard for you to get a shout as a top CB when you're mostly playing LB-ish (acknowledging that Pep's system makes it hard to classify because Stones steps into the midfield and Ake helps cover his space).

It would be like me saying that Ben White is a top CB. He very well might be, but he doesn't show it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad