Eugene Melnyk Pledges to spend near salary cap: FYOUS Edition

Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Sounds like the strategy is to compete while all the young talented players are under team control prior to UFA years.

Why else would he list an end date for a window of contention? Bizarre overshare.

Also, the start date in 2021.. 2020 is when the opt out clause for the CBA kicks in. Melnyk may not have any faith in avoiding a lockout.

And I'll repeat what others said - tone deaf to have this statement come out of Toronto. But at least the sponsors are excited.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
When that caption popped up on the broadcast I got so mad...I almost turned off the TV.

Does he really think we are that stupid?

This guy hasn't got a shred of a clue. Nothing good ever comes out of him opening his mouth.

That guy is so full of shit and it is incredibly insulting as a fan to think we'll take him at his word after ALL of the crap he has put this fan base through.

He is just so so so bad for this city. God, it sucks. So. Hard.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Duchene and Stone should offer to sign contracts that have massive bonus money in the first 2 years AND an clause that makes them UFA should the Sens fail to be within 3 M of the cap in years 3-8.

And make the offer public on Ottawa radio.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
1) Frankly, I don't know why anyone would be willing to trust Melnyk at his word at this point.

I totally understand why some fans WANT to believe him. I get that. We all want the team to spend, and have good players, and be successful. At some point though, the pattern becomes obvious, and the realism sets in.

2) even IF you believe him... What's the plan between now and 2021? Are we investing in hockey ops? Are we willing to spend the necessary money on a GOOD coach? How about an experienced AGM to help Dorion out (since it's clear that he's not going anywhere). You need to invest in the infrastructure before you invest in the players themselves. Are we willing to do that NOW, instead of in 2 years? You don't assemble these things all at once, especially if you have a tiny front office like we do. It's a process. Where are you on THAT?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This Poo-Jeans statement sums up exactly why Sens fans have turned on Melnyck - an empty promise made not to his fans but to his sponsors. And of course, reported by the big mean media.

The man is a gong show in every sense. He can’t sell hockey in Canada. He can’t emdeer himself to one of the most undemanding populations in North America. He can’t build trust in a town build on B.S. and broken promises. Melnyck makes politicians look like honourable people.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
At this point he’s pretty much killed all my interest in this team and the NHL. It’s pretty incredible what he’s done. I still record the games out of habit but as soon as I saw his statement yesterday, I just stopped the game and deleted it because what’s the point really?

There’s literally NOTHING to look forward to. No hope, no excitement on the ice. I really don’t understand how he can destroy his own franchise the way he has.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
At this point he’s pretty much killed all my interest in this team and the NHL. It’s pretty incredible what he’s done. I still record the games out of habit but as soon as I saw his statement yesterday, I just stopped the game and deleted it because what’s the point really?

There’s literally NOTHING to look forward to. No hope, no excitement on the ice. I really don’t understand how he can destroy his own franchise the way he has.

That statement popping up mid game was like a cheap shot to the gut, out of no where and made me throw up in my mouth a bit, while I didn't turn the game off I felt very uneasy the rest of the night, and am feeling worse this morning. If his plan is to stay on as owner for the foreseeable future I will cease to exist as a fan of the team as you have stated their would literally be no point as no joy would ever be achieved.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Where are the spin doctors this morning?

It's funny that they are basically a meme at this point ... but in actuality every time there is a big announcement there is an unusual delay in them joining the threads.

Like they are just as active as everyone else, but they hang back a bit after these things break. No early posts. No hot takes.

Reactions: Deku

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Why is Eugene saying this at a Sens corporate event in Toronto and not at a press conference in Ottawa?

LOL of course it was in Toronto.

Eugene Melnyk and partner John Ruddy of the Trinity Development Group, were already in Toronto, for several days of Mediation talks, that started Monday in an attempt to try to the save RendezVous LeBreton’s deal with the National Capital Commission.

Then there was the Scheduled Corporate Sponsorship event, on Tuesday, at the Hockey Hall of Fame, where he made this commitment to those in attendance.

The Senators then released the Commitment, to the public the next day (Wednesday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad