Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5.7 (YOUS)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What were their contract durations?
When the players are actually good, a little bit of term can be a good thing.

Bean was an RFA who Clb signed after acquiring
Graves had 2 years left on a fair deal
Arvidsson is 28 yrs old with 3 years left.

All those guys should be quality players for the duration of their contracts and can be moved in the event that they get passed by prospects.

Schmidt is the only one who's contract imo is potentially problematic.

He has 4 years remaining and is 30, but it is a front loaded deal which is beneficial for us.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How so? Did people think we were getting a top 4D for a 5th round pick? Or a 2C for a 2ND ? I think it’s clear peoples expectations and evaluations were off. There is nothing really wrong with either acquisition. Stepan didn’t work out here but the acquisition was fine … or at least not worth all the whining.
In no way shape or form was paying a 2nd for Stepan worth it. Terrible move by Dorion. It also doesn’t matter what fans expectations were for Gud and Stepan, the problem is the org’s evaluations and expectations. I’ve previously said I’m not overly concerned with Josh Brown, Gud or the Paquette/Coburn acquisitions but there isn’t a soul on earth other than the biggest Management apologist that can defend any single part of the Stepan acquisition.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Perhaps switch all the home games to away games vs whoever we are playing and generate a few million vs nothing for ten games ?

you think the NHL will allow Melnyck to take his home games and play them in opposing arenas? Things in Ottawa aren’t great for him, if he wants to commit fan suicide he can do that

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes, and the Sens decided to bring in a 4th liner and a third pair guy to play roles above their ability level.
Agreed. It's a separate point versus who else we had on the team and how bad they are.

Its almost as if some don't really spend much time looking at the market and the other alternatives. Its probably just a coincidence that they tend to the be ones backing management decisions all the time.

Reactions: Bileur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
you think the NHL will allow Melnyck to take his home games and play them in opposing arenas? Things in Ottawa aren’t great for him, if he wants to commit fan suicide he can do that

no idea - but it’s good for HRR …the players are losing 50% of all these canceled revenues.

$30-40 million from the leafs alone ? This will influence all teams with the cap ceiling etc.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Has Melnyk or @Sweatred realized that moving the team to the US to play games temporarily means he has to pay for the players lodging, arena staff, etc? Money that he clearly doesn't have.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Has Melnyk or @Sweatred realized that moving the team to the US to play games temporarily means he has to pay for the players lodging, arena staff, etc? Money that he clearly doesn't have.

Its not hard for two teams to work out an arrangement for reversing who is home. A Boston game may generate $2 million of revenue to pay for some hotel rooms and ticket takers. It takes the same number of hotel rooms regardless what city the game is in.

Anyway, I have no idea what teams are doing … it’s just speculation.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
no idea - but it’s good for HRR …the players are losing 50% of all these canceled revenues.

$30-40 million from the leafs alone ? This will influence all teams with the cap ceiling etc.

But Bettman said yesterday revenues will remain at $5 Billion this year so why will the Cap go down?

I don’t care what the players make, I cheer for goals and wins and not for increased bank account

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
But Bettman said yesterday revenues will remain at $5 Billion this year so why will the Cap go down?

I don’t care what the players make, I cheer for goals and wins and not for increased bank account

10 less leafs and Sens game .. each leafs game is worth about $3.5 and each Sens game about $.6 … feels like $40 million less HRR.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Its not hard for two teams to work out an arrangement for reversing who is gone. A Boston game may generate $2 million of revenue to pay for some hotel rooms and ticket takers. It takes the same number of hotel rooms regardless what city the game is in.

Anyway, I have no idea what teams are doing … it’s just speculation.
Melnyk doesn't negotiate well with anyone. Nobody will welcome him with open arms and give him a free ride.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Melnyk doesn't negotiate well with anyone. Nobody will welcome him with open arms and give him a free ride.
the board of directors could order it to ensure the small cap increases are in place for all 30 teams to give them a little more room to squirm their payroll … $40+ million less of $5 billion will impact the cap for all.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Cap can’t go down. Cap and escrow are set for the next couple years. The only potential change is 1M cap increase but that is unlikely to happen.

Reactions: bert

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Friedman report Melnyk asking the league, if the Sens can play home game to the state

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Friedman report Melnyk asking the league, if the Sens can play home game to the state

Is he asking to reverse the home team ? Or to find a neutral building to host a game in? Like a college stadium or whatever ?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Empty threats. Melnyck sucks at creating leverage because he throws out these ideas no one knows will work and then chases them down to zero end. This is going nowhere - chalk up another L for the owner

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Empty threats. Melnyck sucks at creating leverage because he throws out these ideas no one knows will work and then chases them down to zero end. This is going nowhere - chalk up another L for the owner
Here's the commissioner of the NHL on the idea:
“In that regard, not surprisingly, a number of Canadian clubs have asked about the possibility of playing their games somewhere else. That’s how troublesome and devastating it is for those clubs.
“It’s not something anybody wants to do or we’re actively encouraging. But if this continues much longer it’s something we may actively consider.”
All-star notes: Bettman hints at Canadian NHL teams moving games | Toronto Sun

Will it actually happen? Who knows. But the NHL is definitely putting pressure on provincial governments to make things happen re: fans in buildings. Don't know how you think your comment makes any sense whatsoever.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Here's the commissioner of the NHL on the idea:

All-star notes: Bettman hints at Canadian NHL teams moving games | Toronto Sun

Will it actually happen? Who knows. But the NHL is definitely putting pressure on provincial governments to make things happen re: fans in buildings. Don't know how you think your comment makes any sense whatsoever.

It’s all empty threats. Bettman says he loves the new Arizona setup going forward and thinks it’s great for the league, 39 seconds later he’s saying the Canadian teams are going to go play games in Arizona.

it’s all empty threats - never will happen and the draft will be in Montréal.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
When you hear things repeated often enough you accept it as the truth.

Does anyone here have a quote from Dorion about Stepan being a legitimate 2c at the stage in his career where we acquired him? Tsn, Sportsnet, NHL.com and the Ottawa Sun all have the same Dorion quote

"Derek's acquisition provides us with important stability at centre heading into the season," Senators GM Pierre Dorion said. "He plays a 200-foot game and has proven to be a reliable special teams' player throughout his career. His addition to our lineup will also represent a valuable leadership presence within our group."

DJ said this about Stepan
“Stepan can protect young centres, whether it’s Logan Brown or Josh Norris,” Smith said. “He can play the hard minutes. He can play against the league’s best.”
Smith noted that in Toronto, Auston Matthews benefitted from playing behind Tyler Bozak and Nazim Kadri. It was similar for Bo Horvat behind Henrik Sedin.
“Stepan is going to help Norris or Brown,” Smith said. “He can show them the way.”

I can't find anything that says the Senators thought they were getting a guy still able to be a productive 2c. It was a development year, he was brought in as an insulator so that guys that weren't ready for roles didn't have to play those roles.

It didn't work out in large part because he was injured.

He wasn't a 6.5 m player when we got him. There is value in both situations of a player having a higher AAV than what he brings and a player providing more than his AAV. We needed to hit the floor because of our young roster. Stepan's 6.5 AAV helped that. The reality is that that gap between AAV and salary has value.

It gets repeated over and over but I just can't find any quote anywhere where our brass thought Stepan was still a legit 2c. If someone turns that up, I'll eat crow. Til then, I'll stick with what I am able to find which points to Stepan being brought here to eat minutes that the young guys weren't ready for. Which btw is the MO of virtually every team in the league

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Its where the team played the player (what line), not a quote that's important, no?

A few things we do know based on history & actual results. Stepan didn't work out here. He couldn't play against the league's best, and he got pushed further down the lineup before getting injured.

And, we paid a 2nd round pick.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
The Raptors played in Miami for a year.

I've got no love for Eugene, but if he can put the team up somewhere south of the border where they have mostly moved on from COVID and are allowed to fill the stands then more power to him. Forcing them to play in an empty stadium when 90% of the league can fill the building is ridiculous. The issue is finding a place with enough open dates and where it would be a win-win financially for both Eugene and the local group/city. If they can figure it out though, that would be great!

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Raptors played in Miami for a year.

I've got no love for Eugene, but if he can put the team up somewhere south of the border where they have mostly moved on from COVID and are allowed to fill the stands then more power to him. Forcing them to play in an empty stadium when 90% of the league can fill the building is ridiculous. The issue is finding a place with enough open dates and where it would be a win-win financially for both Eugene and the local group/city. If they can figure it out though, that would be great!

I agree completely

Play the games south of the border in the city of the opponent and give us last change

Reactions: Fandlauer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad