Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5.7 (YOUS)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Continued from here v5.6

As requested; new thread same forum rules:

1) No Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person.
2) No Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling.
4) No Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”.
8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Melnyk sucks ass. Hope to hear about Sens plans for Lebreton in March, hopefully with more info about ownership rumours in the upcoming months.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Melnyk sucks ass. Hope to hear about Sens plans for Lebreton in March, hopefully with more info about ownership rumours in the upcoming months.

is it confirmed sens will make a bid? what will the sentiment be if they didn't?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
@Sweatred said
They signed Gud and Stepan … also known as our complete Dorion misses … or E signing … apparently decent on playoff teams … but the constant source of complaints from our fan base re: PD poor pro scouting abilities.

We gave up a 2nd for Stepan and had him at 2M. Carolina gave up nothing and have him at 1.35M

Surely you see the difference there.

We gave a 5th for Gud and paid him 3M while Calgary signed him for 1.95M. I don’t think this is nearly as bad as Stepan.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
@Sweatred said
They signed Gud and Stepan … also known as our complete Dorion misses … or E signing … apparently decent on playoff teams … but the constant source of complaints from our fan base re: PD poor pro scouting abilities.

We gave up a 2nd for Stepan and had him at 2M. Carolina gave up nothing and have him at 1.35M

We gave a 5th for Gud and paid him 3M while Calgary signed him for 1.95M. I don’t think this is nearly as bad as Stepan.

I mentioned in the last thread that Stepan is a 12th forward in Carolina, and Gudbranson is a 5th defenseman.

with us Stepan played an average of 15 minutes a night through his 20 games before injury and whatever else happened...
with Carolina through 34 games this season he averages 11 minutes... he also has 7 more points in 14 more games with a top 5 scoring team in the league... with us his 20 games extrapolated over a full season would be 24 points, and his current season he is on pace for 31.

Gudbranson plays similar minutes (18:04 with us vs 17:56 with Calgary) and believe it or not, Gudbranson is currently on pace for his best statistical season of his career, currently on pace for 15.6 points. so I will at least concede that.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
ny3q85dt0vf81.jpg

We still don't have an arena downtown, but on the bright side it looks like the fan base is growing in Sudan. All part of Eugene's plan. Maybe he can build a new arena in downtown Karthoum. Must be pretty cheap.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
@Sweatred said

We had $6M cap used up to reach the floor at a real cost of $2M would be fully accurate.

Does that mean $4M in cash savings is worth a 2nd round pick? How much of Stepan was a sell-job anyway? Maybe the organization had no confidence in him from the start, and the only value was the cold hard cash.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
@Sweatred said

We traded for guys with one year left on their deals - they didn’t have a choice to come here … if we relied on UFA ‘s to come here we probably attract even lesser skills.

Are you really worried one team paid a guy $1~ million less one year later ? We’re paying Holden less too one year later.

The complaint about Gud types was never his salary.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mayor Jimmy is going to get ousted soon.

Eugene will have some sort of gamble for the arena there… we will see.

I don’t think Melnyck has some secret group of friends in Ottawa that just to be elected to unleash his building plan.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We traded for guys with one year left on their deals - they didn’t have a choice to come here … if we relied on UFA ‘s to come here we probably attract even lesser skills.

Are you really worried one team paid a guy $1~ million less one year later ? We’re paying Holden less too one year later.

The complaint about Gud types was never his salary.

The issue was how the players are used and the roles we brought them in for, we brought in Stepan to be in our top 9 (arguably our top 6), Carolina is using him on their 4th line.

Gudbranson was fine when he was on the bottom pair like he is in Calgary, the problem was when he was in our top 4.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I would not blame the Owners of Ontario based teams relocating their home games to the USA, but I suspect many would trash the Ottawa Owner, and turn a blind eye to MLSE… even though, as suggested, the long term viability of the small market franchise that Ottawa is, has been severely impacted in the past 2 seasons.

All-star notes: Bettman hints at Canadian NHL teams moving games

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The issue was how the players are used and the roles we brought them in for, we brought in Stepan to be in our top 9 (arguably our top 6), Carolina is using him on their 4th line.

Gudbranson was fine when he was on the bottom pair like he is in Calgary, the problem was when he was in our top 4.

How so? Did people think we were getting a top 4D for a 5th round pick? Or a 2C for a 2ND ? I think it’s clear peoples expectations and evaluations were off. There is nothing really wrong with either acquisition. Stepan didn’t work out here but the acquisition was fine … or at least not worth all the whining.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
How so? Did people think we were getting a top 4D for a 5th round pick? Or a 2C for a 2ND ? I think it’s clear peoples expectations and evaluations were off. There is nothing really wrong with either acquisition. Stepan didn’t work out here but the acquisition was fine … or at least not worth all the whining.

I’m going to go with “because that’s how the Sens used them”.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yes, and the Sens decided to bring in a 4th liner and a third pair guy to play roles above their ability level.

100% … but I don’t think we wanted to pay the price for legit top 6 Center did we ? We we bought the cheapest duct tape we could find to bridge the young kids into the lineup. I’d say it worked.. kids look great and we haven’t given any away for the veteran 2C that would have been better than Stepan.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I would not blame the Owners of Ontario based teams relocating their home games to the USA, but I suspect many would trash the Ottawa Owner, and turn a blind eye to MLSE… even though, as suggested, the long term viability of the small market franchise that Ottawa is, has been severely impacted in the past 2 seasons.

All-star notes: Bettman hints at Canadian NHL teams moving games

What American is going to show up to watch the last place Ottawa Senators play hockey? Let’s be realistic.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What American is going to show up to watch the last place Ottawa Senators play hockey? Let’s be realistic.

Perhaps switch all the home games to away games vs whoever we are playing and generate a few million vs nothing for ten games ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, it's clear the teams expectations were off. Fans knew what we were getting from those players, the team quite obviously needed and were hoping for more based on their actions and comments at the time.

And no, the acquisition of Stepan was not fine

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I thought we acquired Dadonov as a free agent?

And, Gonchar in past years?

Holden seems to like it here, and resigned.

And, that excuse still doesn't explain why PD thought why he thought Stepan could play 2C or 3C.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
100% … but I don’t think we wanted to pay the price for legit top 6 Center did we ? We we bought the cheapest duct tape we could find to bridge the young kids into the lineup. I’d say it worked.. kids look great and we haven’t given any away for the veteran 2C that would have been better than Stepan.

They gave a 2nd for 20 games of Stepan, getting only 1 goal and 5 assists with prime opportunities, and you’d say that worked?

NJ and CLB acquired Graves and Bean, 26 and 23 year old top 4 defensemen 2nd round picks.

WPG got Schmidt for a 3rd.

LA got Arvidsson for a 2nd and 3rd.

Ottawa paid the price for high quality acquisitions, they just misidentified their targets.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
They gave a 2nd for 20 games of Stepan, getting only 1 goal and 5 assists with prime opportunities, and you’d say that worked?

NJ and CLB acquired Graves and Bean, 26 and 23 year old top 4 defensemen 2nd round picks.

WPG got Schmidt for a 3rd.

LA got Arvidsson for a 2nd and 3rd.

Ottawa paid the price for high quality acquisitions, they just misidentified their targets.

What were their contract durations?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad