Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5.5 (YOUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Forgotten by most around here - most hate him but he’s sunk 100’s of Millions into our favourite team …
Almost as if the Ottawa Senators's off the ice conduct the past half decade has been beyond unacceptable, shameful, and embarrassing. And I'm not talking about players leaving we were (still are shut up pierre) rebuilding, whatever that's fine. I'm talking about everything else that's happened.

The Brady signing is a great sign of change, and much as I despise Melnyk on a human level, I have to give him credit for putting his money where his mouth is.

I'd say the past half decade plus uses up all the credit Melnyk had from buying the Sens all those years ago. Eugene Melnyk has a long way to go. Sorting out an arena downtown is mandatory and the Lebreton farce really really hurt the franchise and the fans

Reactions: topshelf15

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Almost as if the Ottawa Senators's off the ice conduct the past half decade has been beyond unacceptable, shameful, and embarrassing. And I'm not talking about players leaving we were (still are shut up pierre) rebuilding, whatever that's fine. I'm talking about everything else that's happened.

The Brady signing is a great sign of change, and much as I despise Melnyk on a human level, I have to give him credit for putting his money where his mouth is.

I'd say the past half decade plus uses up all the credit Melnyk had from buying the Sens all those years ago. Eugene Melnyk has a long way to go. Sorting out an arena downtown is mandatory and the Lebreton farce really really hurt the franchise and the fans

I get that - thing have been respectful for 2 years or so ? I can move on.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
I get that - thing have been respectful for 2 years or so ? I can move on.
It's not good enough man. Stick your blind "get behind the team" takes in the bin because you can love the players, and love the team while still having an intense and understandable hatred for the organization in terms of their conduct and behaviour.

Here's what the club needs to do to get on people's good graces

Sort out the new arena yesterday. And don't be dicks to the city in terms of how much does who pay for.

More staff (scout, managments, etc.)

Rebuild the bridges with local businesses and charities, who the club have spent recent years mostly treating with disrespect.

And I could think of a couple others but I don't have the time.

Signing Brady is a fantastic sign of change. The likes of Chabot and Batherson being signed was progress but looking at the cap and that, to me that is just doing the bare minimum. After all until a couple days ago the Senators were STILL paying basically below minimum wage.

The Senators have finally improved on the ice. They now must improve off of it

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's not good enough man. Stick your blind "get behind the team" takes in the bin because you can love the players, and love the team while still having an intense and understandable hatred for the organization in terms of their conduct and behaviour.

Here's what the club needs to do to get on people's good graces

Sort out the new arena yesterday. And don't be dicks to the city in terms of how much does who pay for.

More staff (scout, managments, etc.)

Rebuild the bridges with local businesses and charities, who the club have spent recent years mostly treating with disrespect.

And I could think of a couple others but I don't have the time.

Signing Brady is a fantastic sign of change. The likes of Chabot and Batherson being signed was progress but looking at the cap and that, to me that is just doing the bare minimum. After all until a couple days ago the Senators were STILL paying basically below minimum wage.

The Senators have finally improved on the ice. They now must improve off of it

Fair enough - while your waiting out a new arena or whatever else you need I’m going to enjoy a little run with these young guys … I’ll check back in with ya in 10 years or so and see how your bitterness is going waiting on that building.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Definitely didn’t look well. Hopefully he will be OK to see us win a cup he may be a jerk sometimes but no doubt he’s a big fan.
That’s what’s often lost in the anti-Melnyk sentiment. He wants to win more than anything, it’s why he gets so emotional, either up or down. He’s just a fan who happens to own the team and be a really difficult person to deal with.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Fair enough - while your waiting out a new arena or whatever else you need I’m going to enjoy a little run with these young guys … I’ll check back in with ya in 10 years or so and see how your bitterness is going waiting on that building.
Mate I live in Leeds. I'm off to Elland Road not CTC

And you want to talk about a fanbase full of bitterness and hatred then I present to you the fanbse of Leeds United.

I think the revival of Leeds United (and seeing it in person) exemplified my hatred for Ottawa's ownership. Problem for Leeds for years was ownership. Nearly 20 years outside the prem for god sake. Then finally the right owner came in (who isn't a mega billionaire or some oil county. He's just a media guy) who was able to back the club the best he could AND get the football people in place to run the club. He doesn't intervene.

Melnyk does intervene a lot and of course financially doesn't back the team *that* much when you look at things like scouts and staff and what have you.

But anyways my point is when the problem with a team is ownership, then the only real solution is a new owner because, it is so clear how quickly a club can be rejuvenated by having proper ownership in place. Different sports I know I know

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Mate I live in Leeds. I'm off to Elland Road not CTC

And you want to talk about a fanbase full of bitterness and hatred then I present to you the fanbse of Leeds United.

I think the revival of Leeds United (and seeing it in person) exemplified my hatred for Ottawa's ownership. Problem for Leeds for years was ownership. Nearly 20 years outside the prem for god sake. Then finally the right owner came in (who isn't a mega billionaire or some oil county. He's just a media guy) who was able to back the club the best he could AND get the football people in place to run the club. He doesn't intervene.

Melnyk does intervene a lot and of course financially doesn't back the team *that* much when you look at things like scouts and staff and what have you.

But anyways my point is when the problem with a team is ownership, then the only real solution is a new owner because, it is so clear how quickly a club can be rejuvenated by having proper ownership in place. Different sports I know I know

I don’t know … our owner certainly creates his own messes … but this city has a history of losing every team it has (and usually complains about every owner it has). I don’t doubt that many fans believe the owner is the problem. But doesn’t make them right .

Our owner is spending and behaving . I’m just going to enjoy it. With Brady signed we are about $10 mill under the cap which feels appropriate for a small market in a rebuild with tonnes of contracts coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I don’t know … our owner certainly creates his own messes … but this city has a history of losing every team it has (and usually complains about every owner it has). I don’t doubt that many fans believe the owner is the problem. But doesn’t make them right .

To say that Ottawa has a history of losing every team it's had is reductive.

The 67s are still alive and well, for example. The professional teams that Ottawa lost that were playing in the highest or 2nd highest level in this country was primarily because of ownership(ownership that usually led to poor team performance to boot). I can't think of a single team that Ottawa lost where the ownership wasn't the primary reason outside of the Lynx(whose fate was tied to the Expos).

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
To say that Ottawa has a history of losing every team it's had is reductive.

The 67s are still alive and well, for example. The professional teams that Ottawa lost that were playing in the highest or 2nd highest level in this country was primarily because of ownership(ownership that usually led to poor team performance to boot). I can't think of a single team that Ottawa lost where the ownership wasn't the primary reason outside of the Lynx(whose fate was tied to the Expos).

You are proving my point - Ottawa fans like to blame it’s owners. Other CDN cities don’t have the history of failures that we do here.

The 67’s aren’t a professional team.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
You are proving my point - Ottawa fans like to blame it’s owners.

I'm blaming the owners because it's primarily the owners that were at fault. If you believe strongly otherwise, put your money where your mouth is and name some examples.

Other CDN cities don’t have the history of failures that we do here.

LOL That is definitely not true. Every city in Canada has its share of problematic owners and underperforming teams.

Take for example the NLL's Ottawa Rebel, they were given only 3 seasons to succeed(three extremely poor seasons at that) before they moved to Edmonton... where they also ended up failing and moving again.

This matters why? Your claim was "this city has a history of losing every team it has" which is patently untrue.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
After 8+ very long hard years my dear mom who raised us all on her own has finally given way to her Liver Cancer today.

I know this is just an internet forum, but I'm a longstanding member and have said some pretty crazy and offensive things at times. I just wanted to put this out there for anyone I crossed paths with these last few years, I'm genuinely sorry for coming here and using this place and Eugene Melnyk and his liver donor plea as an outlet for my anger.

To new beginnings for the Ottawa Senators!

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
After 8+ very long hard years my dear mom who raised us all on her own has finally given way to her Liver Cancer today.

I know this is just an internet forum, but I'm a longstanding member and have said some pretty crazy and offensive things at times. I just wanted to put this out there for anyone I crossed paths with these last few years, I'm genuinely sorry for coming here and using this place and Eugene Melnyk and his liver donor plea as an outlet for my anger.

Condolences to you and your family, very sorry for your loss. Glad she is not suffering anymore.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You are proving my point - Ottawa fans like to blame it’s owners. Other CDN cities don’t have the history of failures that we do here.

Every Canadian city has failures. How many people were going to Expos games at the end of their tenure in Montreal? If you asked 10 random people in Toronto, how many would know the Argonauts still exist? Same question for Vancouver residents about the BC Lions? Remember how the Winnipeg Jets once moved to Phoenix? Remind me, does Quebec City still have an NHL team?

This narrative you have is bizarre.

Reactions: RyCam

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Every Canadian city has failures. How many people were going to Expos games at the end of their tenure in Montreal? If you asked 10 random people in Toronto, how many would know the Argonauts still exist? Remember how the Winnipeg Jets once moved to Phoenix?

This narrative you have is bizarre.

Sorry, how many times have the Argos and leafs gone bankrupt ?

Emerica

May 29, 2010

SOrry to hear this. I do not know you personally and I don't think we've interacted much on here but from the outside looking in, she has done a fantastic job raising you and you should be very proud to call yourself her son/daughter. I've lost two loved ones to cancer as well and it is a terrible feeling. The love and warmth of a mother will never be replaced but hopefully the Senators can bring a little bit of joy to you this season. All the best

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

How many times have the Senators gone bankrupt?

Why do you take it personally that Melnyck is a bad owner.

his franchise value is $200 million less then Winnipeg’s - it’s because he sucks as an owner and that’s the only reason. If your house is in a neighborhood with other $1 million houses and it’s only worth 600k, its nobody’s fault but your own because you haven’t invested in it the way it should be taken care of. Maybe you can’t afford it or maybe your just stupid, but it’s not your neighbour’s fault your finances suck, it’s your fault

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Argos at least once (2003). Same for the Ti-cats. In fact they played each other when both were taken over by the CFL due to their owner’s financial trouble. Lions had the same situation in the 1990s. Bombers had to be saved from Bankruptcy as well.

Heck the league itself almost went bankrupt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad