Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5.5 (YOUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We also don’t have any info that it didn’t involve relocation. It’s speculation…

I think it “may” have involved Quebec. Where do you think cirq would most likely
Want to operate the team? It was also intersting that the league squashed it pretty quick.

I assume they would pay close to ask for a team in Quebec.

What are you talking about? Melnyck can’t get francophones to go to games in Ottawa and he’s going to move to Quebec City where he doesn’t own the stadium and partner with the most ruthless business man in Quebec who’s a policy also separatist and make it all work - this is sad even by your standards

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What are you talking about? Melnyck can’t get francophones to go to games in Ottawa and he’s going to move to Quebec City where he doesn’t own the stadium and partner with the most ruthless business man in Quebec who’s a policy also separatist and make it all work - this is sad even by your standards
How would he be partners if he sold the team? Cirque would own the team.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Any talk of relocation is worth less than the digital ink it's printed with.

If you don't understand the mechanisms involved, or fail to realize that melnyck doesn't have final say in a sale/relocation bid, then you're not bringing anything to the discussion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know why there's this belief that the arena in Sunrise is super busy. It's not. In pre-pandemic times it would have about the same amount of events a month that the CTC would have - like 2 or 3.

assennayo

Pollstar does a thing on arena venues,

https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2019/07/2019MidYearWorldwideTicketSalesTop200ArenaVenues_752.pdf

They have Ottawa (86th) well ahead of Florida (116th) in terms of tickets for the mid term 2019 round up but behind in revenue, but I honestly don't know what is and isn't included, I think it might just be concerts and the likes, certainly not including hockey games though.

Found the end of year version, and Florida (54th) vaulted ahead of Ottawa (99th)

https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2019/12/Top200Arenas_797.pdf

I guess snow bird season is their busy season, who'd have guessed, lol.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Melynk has torn this thing down, cut expenses, made the business break even … and the team is 10x more attractive now than 2 years ago. It is half a season of exciting hockey away from being attractive to a prospective owner (Brady aside). This is the most “attractive” the business has been in years, maybe decades. It needs a new building and the market is soft. No owner can make money here funding a new building and laying his asking price.

This team is 100% for sale.

This is definitely my impression as well. Melnyk also knows he’s got a pretty rare asset and won’t let it go for less than an overpay.

Reactions: Sweatred

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
How would he be partners if he sold the team? Cirque would own the team.

The Quebec City guy who owns that stadium tried to buy the Habs and for more money then Molson offered and the NHL didn’t want him in their ownership group because they knew he’d politicize the team and make it about French vs English and an instrument to forward his separatist agenda. He’s never going to own an NHL team - he tried and failed.

Reactions: GCK and topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Quebec City guy who owns that stadium tried to buy the Habs and for more money then Molson offered and the NHL didn’t want him in their ownership group because they knew he’d politicize the team and make it about French vs English and an instrument to forward his separatist agenda. He’s never going to own an NHL team - he tried and failed.
The conversation was about Melnyk selling to Laliberté, the circ du soleil guy. Not sure why he would want to move the team to Quebec city, seems like a baseless assumption, but Melnyk in this scenario would be out of the picture.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The conversation was about Melnyk selling to Laliberté, the circ du soleil guy. Not sure why he would want to move the team to Quebec city, seems like a baseless assumption, but Melnyk in this scenario would be out of the picture.

why would the NHL forego $700 million expansion fee to move a team to a stadium owned by PKP who they don’t want in their league and to a smaller market then Ottawa with obviously more difficulties then this market has.

might make sense to some as the boogeyman sceneraio but the it’s just not real or ever going to happen.

Reactions: Relapsing

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The guy who tried to buy the Habs was Pierre Karl Peladeau. Not sure if Laliberte was serious about buying the Sens let alone moving them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's got nothing to do with what you are arguing

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
why would the NHL forego $700 million expansion fee to move a team to a stadium owned by PKP who they don’t want in their league and to a smaller market then Ottawa with obviously more difficulties then this market has.

might make sense to some as the boogeyman sceneraio but the it’s just not real or ever going to happen.

The point is ... the ONLY offer we have heard about came from the Cirq group. The league shot it down... Most likely for all the reasons above including relocation.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The problem with ownership in Quebec City is that the owner would then also own the television rights distribution which is not a symbiotic relationship for the NHL. They sell the TV rights and share the money as revenue. If one owner also owned the major TV rights holder, it would be a conflict of interest. Profits could be shifted away from the NHL towards the TV rights holder.
Also, Peladeau is a bit abrasive and is constantly fighting with CRTC, Bell, Rogers, etc over spectrum. Bell and Rogers are huge NHL partners. They likely want nothing to do with Videotron joining the NHL as a ownership entity.

Reactions: Frank8

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So the same guy that was bidding to build an arena in Ottawa also wanted to relocate because? reasons?

I didn't say he wanted to relocate (although I assume he wouldn't mind).... I suggested the CIRQ offer may have had a relocation element in it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't say he wanted to relocate (although I assume he wouldn't mind).... I suggested the CIRQ offer may have had a relocation element in it.
There wasn't a rumoured circ offer, there was a rumour that Guy Laliberté made an offer. He divested from circ at one point, and if I recall was just a minority share holder at the time of the alleged offer. There really is no reason to assume he'd want to relocate to Quebec just because he once founded Circ du Soleil.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ottawa is a challenging market. Quebec City would be even MORE challenging.

The entire metro population is 800k (Ottawa, in comparison, is 1.476M). Even less corporate presence than here. When they had a team, they also never sold out. And think it's hard getting to sign players here? Try getting them to play in Northern Quebec.

Quebec City is also one of the slowest growing major metro areas in Canada. Ottawa is the opposite, and should accelerate further in a post-COVID world.

Anyone who thinks that the league would consider re-locating Ottawa to QC has lost their mind.

A major American city like Houston? Yes, but Bettman wants to save those opportunities for additional expansion.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
SPECULATION
P
E
C
U
L
A
T
I
O
N

Yes ... I am speculating that the Quebec based group was motivated to move a team to Quebec. Why else would the league step in and turn an offer down... As I side note, most opinions here are speculation. I think White should have been paid $1.8, I think think EK deal was great, I think Lassi is decent etc. etc.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There wasn't a rumoured circ offer, there was a rumour that Guy Laliberté made an offer. He divested from circ at one point, and if I recall was just a minority share holder at the time of the alleged offer. There really is no reason to assume he'd want to relocate to Quebec just because he once founded Circ du Soleil.

There are lots of reasons... you are just ignoring them all. You have no idea what owner considers moving what team. For example I bet you Melnyk has considered the idea of relocating to Hamilton or whatever. He'd be a fool not to.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This team is not moving ,EM cant afford hot water in the bathrooms..Where is he going to come up with relocation fee??Enough with the fear mongering...EM has turned his own market against him no body feels sorry for him including the BOG of the NHL whom would veto him trying to move it

Reactions: czechcanadian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad