Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear signs 2-year $2M AAV

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
There are people that are beyond evil in this world. Take a deep breath before racism is excused as not a big deal, as it can have cataclysmic effects on those targeted. What those children went through, literally being terrorized their whole lives by their own government and religious institutions. I'd say "say a prayer for them" but it loses its meaning here. So, please think positive wellness thoughts for the tens of thousands of survivors and for the souls of the young departed.

Canada mourns as remains of 215 children found at indigenous school

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There are people that are beyond evil in this world. Take a deep breath before racism is excused as not a big deal, as it can have cataclysmic effects on those targeted. What those children went through, literally being terrorized their whole lives by their own government and religious institutions. I'd say "say a prayer for them" but it loses its meaning here. So, please think positive wellness thoughts for the tens of thousands of survivors and for the souls of the young departed.

Canada mourns as remains of 215 children found at indigenous school
Horrible to think of. If anyone wants a good perspective of how we got to that point, I would encourage you to watch the 6 part mini-series "Into the West" produced by Steven Spielberg.

Reactions: apadilla

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You don't think he'd have to deal with the racist comments like this in any other NHL city? You can't run away from racism, it's everywhere.

Not only that but who’s to say these were ‘actual’ Oilers fans and not just trolls trying to make the fan base look bad. Not that I’d consider any of the assholes that said that shit to be real fans anyhow

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In the season wrap up with Stauffer, Brar and Michaels, they basically said that if Larsson and Barrie are re-signed that we'd be looking at a trade because they said that Bouchard is basically penciled into next year's lineup as he should be IMO. Bear's future here will depend on whether Barrie re-signs or not. If we re-sign Larsson and Barrie, I wonder what Bear could fetch us via trade?

Reactions: Faelko

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
In the season wrap up with Stauffer, Brar and Michaels, they basically said that if Larsson and Barrie are re-signed that we'd be looking at a trade because they said that Bouchard is basically penciled into next year's lineup as he should be IMO. Bear's future here will depend on whether Barrie re-signs or not. If we re-sign Larsson and Barrie, I wonder what Bear could fetch us via trade?

I could see him getting us a young middle six winger or 3C. I doubt Barrie signs with us so he should still be an Oiler next season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
If we re-sign both Barrie and Larsson to get rid of Bear then the Oilers have seriously f***ed up this offseason. Bear is the one whose cost controlled, Bear is the one whose under 25, Bear is the one who actually grades as a positive at even strength the past 2 years.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
If we re-sign both Barrie and Larsson to get rid of Bear then the Oilers have seriously f***ed up this offseason. Bear is the one whose cost controlled, Bear is the one whose under 25, Bear is the one who actually grades as a positive at even strength the past 2 years.
I would hope that the Oilers use that money for offensive depth instead of Barrie

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Agreed 100%. Barrie was fine last year for 3.75 million and I'm willing to tolerate his defensive gaffes b/c of how much he produced on the PP. But if he wants a penny over 5 million he can go play elsewhere.

I feel like there at least 5-6 teams that will give Barrie 6 without hesitating

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He grades as a positive at even strength? He has a negative goal differential in both years. Unless you are talking about expected goals than yeah he was below 50 this year and above last year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That isn't his doing.

Bear's got a year left on his 'cost-controlled' deal before the team needs to commit to him longer term. Fact of the matter is that he regressed this season and the mirage of him being a reliable top 4 option was kind of shattered this season, particularly in the playoffs where he's looked less than NHL calibre for two consecutive years.

With Evan Bouchard requiring some semblance of shelter next season, Ethan Bear is kind of an extra project with an arguably limited upside.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That isn't his doing.

Bear's got a year left on his 'cost-controlled' deal before the team needs to commit to him longer term. Fact of the matter is that he regressed this season and the mirage of him being a reliable top 4 option was kind of shattered this season, particularly in the playoffs where he's looked less than NHL calibre for two consecutive years.

With Evan Bouchard requiring some semblance of shelter next season, Ethan Bear is kind of an extra project with an arguably limited upside.
He's really not much different than Petry was. Sure he is a project, but a lot of the work of him improving is just him aging another year.

Regardless, I just dont see the Oilers moving on from him. They will be concentrating on rebuilding the forward core and goaltending. The D is not changing much apart from Barrie likely walking and Bouchard being permanent. That doesnt have to be a downgrade either if a couple players progress. Imo the forward core and goaltending improving will make the D look better just by being better around them

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's really not much different than Petry was. Sure he is a project, but a lot of the work of him improving is just him aging another year.

Regardless, I just dont see the Oilers moving on from him. They will be concentrating on rebuilding the forward core and goaltending. The D is not changing much apart from Barrie likely walking and Bouchard being permanent. That doesnt have to be a downgrade either if a couple players progress. Imo the forward core and goaltending improving will make the D look better just by being better around them
He's a massively different type of player than Petry was. Bear needs elite support to see any kind of offensive results. He's a low-event defenseman that is skilled enough to compliment high-end players. The reason that Petry keeps being mentioned is because there's an unrealistic expectation of this player's ultimate upside. And I'm not convinced that this player possesses any kind of high end ability that would suggest that upside is reachable.

I agree that it's unlikely he's traded at this point. He probably doesn't have a whole lot of value after teams have seen his progress this season. I'm concerned about where that continues to go next season when we don't have the ability to shelter him in the same manner he was this season.

The player Bear is today is on par with a guy like Nick Jensen, except he's more prone to making mistakes. That isn't irreplaceable.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me

And Bear is the one who belongs in the AHL. I doubt a team would trade for an AHLer making $2M. Oilers are stuck with the Bear until his brutal contract expires.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

I think that young Petry is the diametric opposite of what Bear is now; Petry is 6'3" with a huge reach, was always an amazing skater, elite passer with a cannon of a shot. He was already throwing massive checks and could impose himself physically. Petry played on horrible Oilers teams and had way too much pressure on him to be number one, which he became in Montreal.
Bear will always be hindered by physical limitations and poor skating. He won't be traded, but it's because his trade value has been lowered due to being exposed in consecutive playoff years. I think he's an awesome bottom pairing D-man, who can play higher up in regular season games, but not in the playoffs

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think that young Petry is the diametric opposite of what Bear is now; Petry is 6'3" with a huge reach, was always an amazing skater, elite passer with a cannon of a shot. He was already throwing massive checks and could impose himself physically. Petry played on horrible Oilers teams and had way too much pressure on him to be number one, which he became in Montreal.
Bear will always be hindered by physical limitations and poor skating. He won't be traded, but it's because his trade value has been lowered due to being exposed in consecutive playoff years. I think he's an awesome bottom pairing D-man, who can play higher up in regular season games, but not in the playoffs
They are different styles of player. People act like Petry leaving was management's fault. He couldnt wait to leave here because of the fans. They had all these reasons why he was dog shit and would never get any better. They all had valid points to back it up too. So yes, the successfully matured version of Bear wont be like Petry, but that doesn't mean he cant be as effective in his own way

Someone

Jul 11, 2007

Justin Schultz might be a better comparable (though still different players). Flawed, but with enough upside to be worth dealing with the flaws. Jultz was run out of town for being exposed too high up in the lineup, likewise Bear shouldn't have been playing with Nurse in the playoffs.

I'm willing to accept that Bear might always leave us wanting more, but I think we've seen this story play out too many times to throw him away.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00