Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear signs 2-year $2M AAV

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
But we're not talking about a young player. We're talking about a top four NHL defenseman that has to continue being a top four NHL defenseman though. Cost control is one thing, but I'm more interested in icing the best possible NHL product.

With Evan Bouchard developing quicker than anticipated, I don't see a giant need for more undersized puck-moving defensemen on this roster long-term unless they're bringing offense at a considerable rate.
Bear was our second best even strength point producer on the back end last year. Without PP time he’s not going to hit 40 points. You can count on one hand the nhl defensemen who could put up 40+ points with the pp time bear gets in the nhl. Young D men have ups and downs. He hasn’t even hit the 150 game mark yet. He’s had 2 pretty serious concussions in his pro career so far and god forbid he looks a step behind for a couple of games vs the top team in the nhl currently. In fact of the 13 games bear has dressed this season 7 have been vs Toronto.

Why isn’t there similar criticism to a player like Yamamoto who is struggling to keep up a .5 ppg clip stapled to last years league wide mvp?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How did a thought about protecting Bear for a while in a bottom pairing due to a concussion and struggling, turn into waiving him, or how he had a wonderful year last year?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Bear was our second best even strength point producer on the back end last year. Without PP time he’s not going to hit 40 points. You can count on one hand the nhl defensemen who could put up 40+ points with the pp time bear gets in the nhl. Young D men have ups and downs. He hasn’t even hit the 150 game mark yet. He’s had 2 pretty serious concussions in his pro career so far and god forbid he looks a step behind for a couple of games vs the top team in the nhl currently. In fact of the 13 games bear has dressed this season 7 have been vs Toronto.

Why isn’t there similar criticism to a player like Yamamoto who is struggling to keep up a .5 ppg clip stapled to last years league wide mvp?
Lest we forget it was the same with Nurse for years. People give up on players waaay too quickly.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
images

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Bear also saw the lion's share of the team's even strength minutes. 21 points isn't a significant accomplishment for an average NHL defenseman hooked to one of Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl for a significant amount of time. The only thing that makes that impressive is the fact that he was a rookie.

His concussion history only adds to the concern that he may never get to the next level once he works through these sophomore kinks. The fact of the matter is that this undersized defenseman may never see PP time in Edmonton, because he's already pretty low in the pecking order.

I don't have high expectations for Yamamoto as Leon Draisaitl's winger. I expected him to be more productive, but I also didn't expect him to continue a point per game pace. He's a plug and play winger. Bear? Top four defenseman. Much bigger expectations.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Because there is only 2 or 3 people in this thread ragging on Bear and the other 95% of it is people quoting them and defending him. Yes he’s a young player, yes he’s struggling, as many young D do, especially those on the tail end of an injury.

Yamamoto, like you just mentioned with Bear, gets 0 PP time. But he brings other elements when he doesn’t produce, like IMO he’s one of the best FWD in the league on getting in on the forecheck and stripping pucks. If there’s a battle odds are he’s coming out with the puck.

But this isn’t a Yamamoto thread so digress.

With that said we will see how Bear responds the rest of the season, we have an upcoming log jam on RD this offseason, with 4, 2 UFA pending, who should be in the top 6 next year. Someone is going to get moved or leave and Bear just needs to prove again that it shouldn’t be him.

I see 95% of the people in here rationally saying these thoughts but 99% of this thread is people arguing with 5% that are in every thread on every single player, or the team in general, when they struggle.

Reactions: MessierII and frag2

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lest we forget it was the same with Nurse for years. People give up on players waaay too quickly.

Cant compare Nurse to Bear either. Nurse was a high draft pick and stud before his draft. It may sound like I’m ragging on Bear but I’m being realistic. He’s an important part of this team but he’s never going to run a PP or be an elite shutdown or offensive D. He’s an undersized, jack of all trades player that wouldn’t be playing higher then the 2nd pairing on a good team, 3rd pairing on a great team. The team defiantly should protect him and quit ruining his development by playing him over his head.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Might as well toss him then, eh.

What’s wrong with him not being a #1D? We should toss him because his realistic ceiling is 2nd pairing D?

How many slower, undersized top pairing D are there in this league? He’s a good complimentary D but people shouldn’t be expecting him to win a Norris or to build a D core around him. He’s overrated by a lot of Oiler fans and people need to dial back the expectations of him. He’s like a modern day Sekera which is still pretty good.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What’s wrong with him not being a #1D? We should toss him because his realistic ceiling is 2nd pairing D?

How many slower, undersized top pairing D are there in this league? He’s a good complimentary D but people shouldn’t be expecting him to win a Norris or to build a D core around him. He’s overrated by a lot of Oiler fans and people need to dial back the expectations of him. He’s like a modern day Sekera which is still pretty good.
I really think you took my post the wrong way.

I'm just forseeing him going to another team and blossoming.

Reactions: space321

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I really think you took my post the wrong way.

I'm just forseeing him going to another team and blossoming.
In all honesty, I hope he does. I just don't think that we're the team that can afford to grow him assuming this is a player who requires an offensive push to look like an NHL defenseman. What is the team's priority right now? It took us signing one guy for him to lose his role this year. Are we going shelter two of our three RHD moving forward?

If Ethan Bear can get you a good young forward that can contribute now, why is it a problem if he blossoms in another organization? You just need to be certain the player you're targeting is a good fit.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He didnt have a great game at all, got caved, covers air, and is way to slow. Hes always the slowest player on the ice, and its not even close.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm wondering what the deal is. Bear has been our third or fourth best defenseman at worst despite having a "rough start" and being concussed. Plus we have no one to replace him within the organization. Plus he is only 23 and on a relatively great cost controlled contract.

Me thinks we have a few posters in this thread with an agenda of some sort. Moving Bear now would be incredibly foolish barring an incredible return.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Young guy who had a great season followed by a tough start. Let's run him out of town in true Oiler fan fashion because he's not Chris Pronger

No, we ran him out too.

Okay, we didn't really "run him out" but we talked a lot of s*** about him on his way out because he hurt our feeling.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
In all honesty, I hope he does. I just don't think that we're the team that can afford to grow him assuming this is a player who requires an offensive push to look like an NHL defenseman. What is the team's priority right now? It took us signing one guy for him to lose his role this year. Are we going shelter two of our three RHD moving forward?

If Ethan Bear can get you a good young forward that can contribute now, why is it a problem if he blossoms in another organization? You just need to be certain the player you're targeting is a good fit.
If he can, sure.

...But he won't. And suddenly we're not as deep on defense as we thought we were.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I'm wondering what the deal is. Bear has been our third or fourth best defenseman at worst despite having a "rough start" and being concussed. Plus we have no one to replace him within the organization. Plus he is only 23 and on a relatively great cost controlled contract.

Me thinks we have a few posters in this thread with an agenda of some sort. Moving Bear now would be incredibly foolish barring an incredible return.

The agenda is hes been costing us games this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad