Friedman: Ethan Bear requests a trade, Canucks, Capitals, Leafs have shown interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

7. One defenceman whose situation is coming to a head is Ethan Bear. Players want to play, and he hasn’t dressed yet this year. It’s nothing nefarious, Carolina’s doing what it thinks is best, but he can’t be happy and it’s really hard when you don’t play a game like the one in Edmonton — since you always want to prove your former team to be wrong.

After mentioning it last weekend, a couple of sources indicated there was a trade request last summer. The Hurricanes’ position on this is as follows: they consider Bear a legit NHL defenceman and, since they don’t have cap issues, won’t eat part of his salary for “minimal return.” It’s possible Bear ends up on waivers to see if anyone claims him, and word is he would go to AHL Chicago, just because he wants to play. Vancouver’s shown real interest. Washington did around the draft. It’s believed Toronto’s poked around too. I’m sure there are others, we will see how it ends up.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens will take him for a mid-round pick going back. He'll need to show that he can outplay one of Hamonic or Holden if he wants a regular spot though.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Sens will take him for a mid-round pick going back. He'll need to show that he can outplay one of Hamonic or Holden if he wants a regular spot though.
Canucks will probably outbid sens if thats the going rate. Canucks are way more desparate now with Hughes poolman and stilman all injured and not having one win and D being terrible. I think they will try to get help as soon as they can

If he gets traded soon, my guess is Vancouver.

1. They need RHD
2. They have spoken to the media about upgrading their defense.
3. They're desperate.
4. He's on the cheaper side of options which is really important to them

I just don't know how they'd make it work cap-wise.
Yep, Vancouver is a lot more desparate for D than any NHL team amd ownership is probably putting pressure on JR now since they are the only team in NHL that is winless. Something got to give unless they are giving up on this season 2 weeks in.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Ship him of for Puljujarvi, should be a fair trade considering Pulju's a yet-again-terrible start to the season.

No thanks. Canes would be moving Bear to cut salary so getting back a more expensive player who is playing terribly doesn’t make sense. Not really any room in the lineup for him, either, with Paciorettt coming back and Drury/Stromwall in Chicago.

To Chicago for D Ian Mitchell

Don’t really need another defenseman. Already have 7 on the roster not including Bear and a few guys in Chicago who’ve shown they can play at the nhl level.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
No thanks. Canes would be moving Bear to cut salary so getting back a more expensive player who is playing terribly doesn’t make sense. Not really any room in the lineup for him, either, with Paciorettt coming back and Drury/Stromwall in Chicago.

Don’t really need another defenseman. Already have 7 on the roster not including Bear and a few guys in Chicago who’ve shown they can play at the nhl level.
Fair enough

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bear is a tweener with some enticing puck moving skills and average to Meh defensive skills. He wouldn’t help much teams out there except maybe the Canucks.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He was magic on the PP with Barzal back in junior

NYI have any room for him to see if they can get it going again???

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I don’t see Bear moving the needle for a team like VAN.
On the one hand given that a price would have to be paid, I can get behind what you're saying here.

On the other hand......sometimes I look at the right side of our defense and wonder if maybe just not playing anyone on the third pair would actually be a better result.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Van makes too much sense. He belongs in Canada where he can be a role model to his community. Canucks desperately need something and their right side is a disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Leafs and Canucks are interested? Why lmao
Muzzin may be in a situation where he is forced onto LTIR for the duration of his contract which would open up cap space to spend on a replacement. The Leafs were only using a 20 man roster to start the season, but with that cap hit on LTIR gives them enough room for a 23 man roster and Ethan Bear at his full cap hit if they want him.

He would probably be better than Mete or Benn in a #7 role. The right handed shot provides balance. The price to acquire should be very cheap. There may be a better way to use their available cap space though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad