Friedman: Ethan Bear requests a trade, Canucks, Capitals, Leafs have shown interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

7. One defenceman whose situation is coming to a head is Ethan Bear. Players want to play, and he hasn’t dressed yet this year. It’s nothing nefarious, Carolina’s doing what it thinks is best, but he can’t be happy and it’s really hard when you don’t play a game like the one in Edmonton — since you always want to prove your former team to be wrong.

After mentioning it last weekend, a couple of sources indicated there was a trade request last summer. The Hurricanes’ position on this is as follows: they consider Bear a legit NHL defenceman and, since they don’t have cap issues, won’t eat part of his salary for “minimal return.” It’s possible Bear ends up on waivers to see if anyone claims him, and word is he would go to AHL Chicago, just because he wants to play. Vancouver’s shown real interest. Washington did around the draft. It’s believed Toronto’s poked around too. I’m sure there are others, we will see how it ends up.

Last edited:

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Given Edmonton’s early-season defensive struggles I could see Holland reacquiring Bear, who had a brief streak of strong play next to Darnell Nurse a couple years back.

Reactions: Traveled

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
With how he showed in pre-season, he shouldn’t be playing over Chatfield or de Haan. We’ll see what they get for him, still has potential to be a 2nd pair guy in my view.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs are probably looking for D help with Muzzin possibly out indefinitely. Bear would be an interest wrong

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It’s crazy how people just believed the Oilers fans hype around him for a decent stretch of good play. To the Point Marek was saying that this was similar to the Oilers trading Petry before they should have. He still has the same issues he’s always had, he’s not very fleet of foot and he’s not exceptionally good on either side of the puck.

If he wasn’t once a hyped up Oilers prospect we likely don’t have Friedman reporting about him and he’s likely waiver fodder the last 2 seasons

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
As a canes fan I was unaware of a “situation”. Other than he’s in and out of the lineup, because he’s part of the third pair rotation which isn’t unusual for us to have.
Except he hasn’t be “in” at all and isn’t likely to be with how Chatfield has played. We then also have Coghlan who was great in preseason before getting hurt.

I’m not sure anyone other than Bear himself wants to see him play before either of those two.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Ethan Bear for Jordan Harris makes some sense positionally, Montreal needs a RHD to take Wideman out of the lineup

And Harris could be sent down without needing waivers
Seems an overpay by Habs, Bear hasnt shown he can hold a spot,
and while Habs need RD,
if you presume they won't contend this season,
they're assuming all the risk, and opportunity cost,
for little meaningful benefit

Reactions: Steeler23 and zeeto

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Leafs are probably looking for D help with Muzzin possibly out indefinitely. Bear would be an interest wrong

Don't see the fit there. Sandin looks 100x better playing on his natural LD so when healthy it would basically be Sandin or Bear for bottom pair LD. No sense spending any real assets to have that little impact and it's debatable if Bear is better than Sandin how he played last night.

Leafs would be looking for a tier up from these players.. Someone who could play heavy minutes for us in important games.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Except he hasn’t be “in” at all and isn’t likely to be with how Chatfield has played. We then also have Coghlan who was great in preseason before getting hurt.

I’m not sure anyone other than Bear himself wants to see him play before either of those two.
I’m fine with him playing. He’s a third pair dman, and I don’t make big decisions about how he or his competition are playing five games in. I think this is more about him making what he makes when we can’t afford that on the third pair maybe. Point is, we as fans are completely unaware of anything being called a “situation”. It makes it sound acrimonious when there’s been non of that mentioned anywhere.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad