Player Discussion Ethan Bear: It's a Bear Market

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The big advantage Jones had over Bear was his skating and that's why it was so much easier to project him as an NHLer. Credit to Bear or not only improving his skating leaps and bounds but also really working on his all-around game being a reliable player in all three zones. Not sure what Jones did this offseason because he looked way worse in camp than he did throughout the season last year.
It's kind of funny to me, but sometimes being a later pick is better. It forces guys to really look at themselves in a mirror and figure out why they fell as far as they did in a draft. With 1st and 2nd round picks you get a lot of guys that think they are NHL ready and don't put in the necessary work.

Just goes to show how much hard work and smart work can do for a player. Bear said he studied the way Kobe Bryant trains and his mentality ... that's not a bad person to look at at all.
Interesting. I think I heard that Koskinen hired Kobe's trainer this summer, but more for the physical aspect of it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Major Lifestyle Change For Ethan Bear

I’ve been on the Oilers beat for 18 years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a change in a player from one year to the next like I have with Bear. Not just his play on the ice, but how he speaks and interacts with me. It is like he’s added ten years of wisdom from last September at training camp to this year. From the first day of camp he spoke like someone very confident in who he was. It was like he knew he was going to make the team, despite no one on the outside thinking that. He looked different also. His jet black hair is longer, and his face is thinner. He looked like a strong, confident young man, but with an old soul. His answers are thorough. His thoughts are deeper.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I’ve been on the Oilers beat for 18 years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a change in a player from one year to the next like I have with Bear. Not just his play on the ice, but how he speaks and interacts with me. It is like he’s added ten years of wisdom from last September at training camp to this year. From the first day of camp he spoke like someone very confident in who he was. It was like he knew he was going to make the team, despite no one on the outside thinking that. He looked different also. His jet black hair is longer, and his face is thinner. He looked like a strong, confident young man, but with an old soul. His answers are thorough. His thoughts are deeper.
Ethan spent much of his summer under the guidance of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Bear is probably already better than I ever thought he'd turn out after seeing him in junior and up with the Oilers late in 17/18 season. Remarkable improvement for this player.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd try to lock him up as long as possible for < $3 million per season.
We said the same thing about Matt Benning in his rookie year.

I like Bear, but there's really no need to rush a deal on him. If players like McAvoy and Werenski are signing for 3 years under 5m per, there's no reason we couldn't do the same for Bear once he proves a little more. I think Bear needs to have two strong seasons before he's even in the discussion for 3m.

Reactions: Aerchon

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

That was a great read. Really illuminates how he went from being a decent prospect to what looks to be a solid everyday NHLer in such a short period of time.

Also interesting that he said he lost weight. So both he, Nurse and Larsson have lost weight recently. I think that's the new trend in todays NHL. It's not about being as heavy and strong as possible. It's about being as quick and athletic as possible. The days of bulking up to the 'mandatory' 200 lbs is over.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I'd try to lock him up as long as possible for < $3 million per season.

Nashville loves taking a shot and signing their D to these long term deals before they break out. Ellis was signed to 2.5m x 5 years coming off his ELC. Ekholm still on that 3.75m deal he signed and Josi just finishing up his deal after being at 4.0m cap hit for the past 6 years. When Nashville signed Josi, he only had 2 seasons of 52 and 48 games under his belt, and had 16 and 18 pts in those season.Oilers have taken a shot at this with Klefbom @4.16 which looks like an absolute steal.....i think it could be worth a shot with Bear as well depending on how he pans out for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Radicaster

Sep 25, 2019
I believe Bouchard will be the de facto #1 D. If not, it is a wasted pick. Seeing Dobson already playing and Quinn Hughes scoring last night makes me believe Bouchard is ready to at least be on the second paring and first unit pp. Why is it other teams are starting their 19 yr olds with key minutes while our guy is in the dumps. The league is getting younger and Holland should get with the program.
Bear beat out Bouchard and for reasons we can clearly see in his current on ice performance. If Bouchard is not the #1 then it was not a wasted pick. Yakupov and Puljujarvi were wasted picks. If Bouchard is our 6 dman then it was a successful pick because we drafted and developed a successful NHL player. Remember when the Oilers were constantly playing our 18/19 year olds consistently. Gagner, Cogliano, Paajarvi, Hall, Eberle, Nuge. Yeah, they were fantastic teams. Let kids develope and mature before thrusting them into the best league in the world. I believe Broberg and Bouchard will fill out an extremely strong dcore over the next few years. Let the team develope veteran depth guys first such as BEAR who is awesome, Jones who plays well and will be a solid 5-7 D and Lagesson a potentially great depth guy or trade bait. You forget that our team also has the likes of Klefbom and Nurse? Once Benning is out i would assume that spot will be filled be Bouchard with Russel on his left, and then you will be extremely grateful that Holland and Tippet did not rush teenagers into a mans league. Yamamoto is small, period, i dont care how skilled he is in the AHL, we need to develope that one like Martin St. Loise, allow him to get super jacked so he isnt shoved off the puck by NHL MEN. Yam will be up next year. Benson I am not to sure, I think he has peaked and may be solid 3rd/4th line depth player. Reality is, 18/19 year olds on other teams are needed there because their teams suck the way the Oilers sucked when we drafted Hall.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Bear beat out Bouchard and for reasons we can clearly see in his current on ice performance. If Bouchard is not the #1 then it was not a wasted pick. Yakupov and Puljujarvi were wasted picks. If Bouchard is our 6 dman then it was a successful pick because we drafted and developed a successful NHL player. Remember when the Oilers were constantly playing our 18/19 year olds consistently. Gagner, Cogliano, Paajarvi, Hall, Eberle, Nuge. Yeah, they were fantastic teams. Let kids develope and mature before thrusting them into the best league in the world. I believe Broberg and Bouchard will fill out an extremely strong dcore over the next few years. Let the team develope veteran depth guys first such as BEAR who is awesome, Jones who plays well and will be a solid 5-7 D and Lagesson a potentially great depth guy or trade bait. You forget that our team also has the likes of Klefbom and Nurse? Once Benning is out i would assume that spot will be filled be Bouchard with Russel on his left, and then you will be extremely grateful that Holland and Tippet did not rush teenagers into a mans league. Yamamoto is small, period, i dont care how skilled he is in the AHL, we need to develope that one like Martin St. Loise, allow him to get super jacked so he isnt shoved off the puck by NHL MEN. Yam will be up next year. Benson I am not to sure, I think he has peaked and may be solid 3rd/4th line depth player. Reality is, 18/19 year olds on other teams are needed there because their teams suck the way the Oilers sucked when we drafted Hall.

giphy.gif

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
We did not pick a Dman top 10 to be a #6D.
Also, letting kids develop? You sure? This is a new era and 18 yr olds should be allowed to play with the big boys now. eg, Kappo Kakko and Jack Hughes. Dobson's a mainstay in NYI now and so is Quinn Hughes. We better be rushing our kids into the lineup or they'll rot in bakersfield.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Also, letting kids develop? You sure? This is a new era and 18 yr olds should be allowed to play with the big boys now. eg, Kappo Kakko and Jack Hughes. Dobson's a mainstay in NYI now and so is Quinn Hughes. We better be rushing our kids into the lineup or they'll rot in bakersfield.
Bouchard has a lot to learn on the defensive side ...Probably he will learn and most likely will be a top 4D but its going to take some time....I think the idea right now with him is "we will look in on you at game 45 but mostly likely we will see how you do in next years camp."
Hopefully he sees a 5 or 6 game cup of coffee after the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nashville loves taking a shot and signing their D to these long term de nals before they break out. Ellis was signed to 2.5m x 5 years coming off his ELC. Ekholm still on that 3.75m deal he signed and Josi just finishing up his deal after being at 4.0m cap hit for the past 6 years. When Nashville signed Josi, he only had 2 seasons of 52 and 48 games under his belt, and had 16 and 18 pts in those season.Oilers have taken a shot at this with Klefbom @4.16 which looks like an absolute steal.....i think it could be worth a shot with Bear as well depending on how he pans out for the rest of the season.

Bouchard has a lot to learn on the defensive side ...Probably he will learn and most likely will be a top 4D but its going to take some time....I think the idea right now with him is "we will look in on you at game 45 but mostly likely we will see how you do in next years camp."
Hopefully he sees a 5 or 6 game cup of coffee after the trade deadline.

We are 7 games in. If at 82 + hopefully some playoff games and Bear just keeps getting better you "think" about signing him long term cheap. But realistically you should wait at least another full year. Defenseman are rarely linear in their development and an extra year would give a much better idea. However, even before Bear took this big step he had other very large leaps in development. So locking him up cheap after this year may well be the way to go.

As for Bouchard. I believe he will be a #1. But he does not need to be in the nhl this year to do it. I hope Bears success really helps him realize what he needs to do to get better.

Our right side has the perfect level of competition with:

Larsson
Persson
Bear
Benning
Bouchard

Bouchard is going to really have to push hard to beat out those guys.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Go back to calgarypuck

signed

Everyone

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
We are 7 games in. If at 82 + hopefully some playoff games and Bear just keeps getting better you "think" about signing him long term cheap. But realistically you should wait at least another full year. Defenseman are rarely linear in their development and an extra year would give a much better idea. However, even before Bear took this big step he had other very large leaps in development. So locking him up cheap after this year may well be the way to go.

As for Bouchard. I believe he will be a #1. But he does not need to be in the nhl this year to do it. I hope Bears success really helps him realize what he needs to do to get better.

Our right side has the perfect level of competition with:

Larsson
Persson
Bear
Benning
Bouchard

Bouchard is going to really have to push hard to beat out those guys.

I'd actually have Bear above Persson so far, but agree they have both been pleasant surprises.

Interesting... I wonder how much of this is "good luck" vs having a new GM and new Coach both of whom have the experience and player evaluation chops to know who should be placed in positions to succeed with the NHL squad.

I'd argue (and exactly to your point)... you know who else is in a position to succeed? Evan f'n Bouchard. Kudos to Holland for handing him the keys to the top pairing on the farm.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That was a great read. Really illuminates how he went from being a decent prospect to what looks to be a solid everyday NHLer in such a short period of time.

Also interesting that he said he lost weight. So both he, Nurse and Larsson have lost weight recently. I think that's the new trend in todays NHL. It's not about being as heavy and strong as possible. It's about being as quick and athletic as possible. The days of bulking up to the 'mandatory' 200 lbs is over.
I think a lot of it for these younger guys is finding that optimal size that works best for them. It's tough in season to make the adjustment, but come the off-season they can work on it.

That and we are hearing more and more about how a lot of these guys simply need help with their diet. Finding foods that you like that will help and not hurt you is tough for a lot of people. Especially when you start looking at younger guys who are out on their own for the first time and don't even know how to cook.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Kakko and Hughes are forwards and top picks, nothing unusual about them being in the show. Dobson's played a grand total of 2 NHL games, so it's a little bit early to call him a mainstay. Quinn Hughes is just making the NHL now at 20. Fact is, very few teenagers/early 20s players make the NHL, especially d-men. Last year, just 23 players under 21 played more than 50 NHL games. Just 7 of those were d-men.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I think a lot of it for these younger guys is finding that optimal size that works best for them. It's tough in season to make the adjustment, but come the off-season they can work on it.

That and we are hearing more and more about how a lot of these guys simply need help with their diet. Finding foods that you like that will help and not hurt you is tough for a lot of people. Especially when you start looking at younger guys who are out on their own for the first time and don't even know how to cook.
So true. Can’t out train a bad diet.

Reactions: joestevens29

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If the 18/19 year old has the veteran support not only on D but also in the forward ranks and goalie, then it can definitely work. However, in the past, the kids were thrown en mass into the deep end with very little solid veteran support.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
If the 18/19 year old has the veteran support not only on D but also in the forward ranks and goalie, then it can definitely work. However, in the past, the kids were thrown en mass into the deep end with very little solid veteran support.
How's Quinn Hughes doing with bums like Myers and Tanev? Don't tell me the tandem of Myers and Tanev are much more superior than Nurse and Klefbom. The league is getting younger. Vet support is overrated. I don't see kids like Makar and Girard have much veteran support. More like young kids support. And I don't see how we can't just throw Broberg and Bouchard on the 3rd pairing now and make it work. I bet you the tandem of Broberg and Bouchard can do more damage than half the 3rd pairings in the NHL NOW.

Last edited:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
How's Quinn Hughes doing with bums like Myers and Tanev? Don't tell me the tandem of Myers and Tanev are much more superior than Nurse and Klefbom. The league is getting younger. Vet support is overrated. I don't see kids like Makar and Girard have much veteran support. More like young kids support. And I don't see how we can't just throw Broberg and Bouchard on the 3rd pairing now and make it work. I bet you the tandem of Broberg and Bouchard can do more damage than half the 3rd pairings in the NHL NOW.

We used to complain all the time that we rushed our prospects, now we're complaining that they aren't in the line-up soon enough.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Bear looking good. His improved edge work and foot speed is helping a lot in giving him confidence by buying him extra time and space when he can elude opponents just that little bit more. Allows his puck handling abilities and poise to shine through a bit more. Last year his footwork and edges were sluggish and not as skilled and he had no time to make plays and be poised.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We said the same thing about Matt Benning in his rookie year.

I like Bear, but there's really no need to rush a deal on him. If players like McAvoy and Werenski are signing for 3 years under 5m per, there's no reason we couldn't do the same for Bear once he proves a little more. I think Bear needs to have two strong seasons before he's even in the discussion for 3m.

Benning never skated like this nor did he have 2 seasons in the AHL prior to his rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad