Player Discussion Ethan Bear: It's a Bear Market

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Can't blame him/Nurse for two of them because they were the pairing on the ice both times Smith made his blunders vs LA

so 1/3 of the goals he has been on the ice against for have been 100% not his fault and a direct result of Smith throwing the puck away.
I can’t stand it how people use incredibly small sample size stats and completely ignore the circumstances of the plays that led to those stats in order to prove a negative bias.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I think Dobson was always the safer choice. His skating is terrific. That is important in making the translation to the NHL. He is pretty good at everything else, too, with good size. That is safe. Now, if you wanna go for the home run and pray that Bouchard can develop the rest of his game, then go ahead and make that bet. I think I would have preferred Dobson just based on his skating. However, I don’t think this case is closed. I am still hoping Bouchard can become a dominant offensive D. We should all be.

At the time, Dobson v. Bouchard was a complete toss up. Bouchard was viewed as having higher end offensive upside with Dobson being viewed as a more complete defensive prospect. Bouchard was picked because the Oilers felt he was more of what the team needed.

Still have to give it a few years to see if the Oilers picked the correct player. I expect that both players will have good careers. Remains to be seen which will be viewed as better down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: O.T.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I think Dobson was always the safer choice. His skating is terrific. That is important in making the translation to the NHL. He is pretty good at everything else, too, with good size. That is safe. Now, if you wanna go for the home run and pray that Bouchard can develop the rest of his game, then go ahead and make that bet. I think I would have preferred Dobson just based on his skating. However, I don’t think this case is closed. I am still hoping Bouchard can become a dominant offensive D. We should all be.
We really need Bouchard to pan out to become the #1D or at least QB the PP with that shot of his or this team is pretty much doomed.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

This was a question I asked him 3 years ago. Looks like he definitely improved his speed in his game AND transitions very well.

I like the green lawnchairs.

A tidbit. Put bug spray and sunscreen on your arms. then sit in that chair. A little sweat and it will peel that paint right off. The poor woman freaked when it happened to her that afternoon. The people present don't wear both at the same time anymore. :phew:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Interesting to see how Nurse's play is improving playing with a rookie vs a vet....

Yeah hate to say it, but it's becoming somewhat more clear what the issue with that pairing was and it wasn't Darnell Nurse.

Not to say this pairing won't ever have their hiccups and problems given that both are still young, but man do they ever look far more agile and in line with the modern NHL style of play than any pairing the Oilers have had in ages.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Uh, Cuz those other guys are a lot better than Bouchard. We can argue about whether Bouchard is a better playmaker/shooter, maybe its the case.. but he’s a lot slower and worse defensively, so he is not as “ready” as those guys. He will make the show, but he is going to have to learn a few things first.

Within 3 years Bouchard has a high probability of being the best of those three. Nearly guaranteed 50+pt defenseman in the NHL, IMO - minimum #3 defensively, if he is a #1 he becomes a franchise player.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
PS Nurse could be a #1 defenseman this year. He is so far... 50+ points? Hopefully Bear can come along for the ride and succeed.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I don't post here a lot anymore, but I've been so impressed with Bear's play this year I had to say something.

Last night he separates his man from the puck, takes that puck and skates to space, avoids the check, then makes a sublime pass through a defender's feet that results in a goal where all 5 Oilers touch the puck. He doesn't get a hit, a takeaway or a point but that goal is 100% initiated by Bear. Points and +/- do not tell the entire story.

I've watched this clip over and over and I can't stop.

Thanks for posting that and welcome back, I remember you posting. I pointed out the same play. Just textbook beauty transition. Dispossessing the puck with a solid hit and then moving it effectively up ice. Culminating in Nurse jumping into the play and feeding Draisaitl with a beaty service and wonderful finish.

Love the video. That it slows down to hilite Bears confident little soccer chip pass up to McD that makes the whole breakout there. That confident decision, and ask how many D we've had lately have the confidence and savvy to do what Bear and Nurse did on the play. Look at it Bear spots the break opening, is like a QB there, and holds up with a shimmy shake till the exact right moment and then puts the pass to McD between the opponents skates. Beauty. Does Bear play Soccer? WOW! What a play.

That goal was just brilliant, can't stop talking about it. Just finished mentioning in another thread that opponent coaches will look at that goal and basically say "oh no".

It almost looks like "showtime" is back.

These are special days again.

Last edited:

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
That's pretty dramatic and kind of unreasonable to put on Bouchard, especially at this point.
No it isn't. He is picked high for a reason and he better prepare for the pressure to mount. There is no free pass being a top ten pick. Look at all the fans bashing JP and nurse. The bashing will begin within 24 months if Bouchard does not deliver the goods.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
As far back as last season I was saying that Nurse-Bear should be paired and elevated to play along with McD/Drai line in EV, and maybe even in PP. They are that good and support the offense so well.

Nurse was our 4th leading scorer last season. That also seems to be forgotten. Both of this pairing will get their points and I just hope they stick together, just wonderful watching this pair have so much confidence and ability.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bouchard will be on the Oilers next year. He should however definitely do the same skating program that Bear did next summer. Because daaaaaaamn, is it ever a night and day difference with Bear, if Bouchard could get even half that result in speed/agility uptick he would be a scary player.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
While I've also been visually impressed by Bear, the statline of 0-0-0 -3 4SOG does stand out in a bad way.

Also on the ice for 6GA 5 on 5, the highest on the team so far.

You're basically describing a rookie that has had very little game experience that is being forcefed top 4 minutes immediately, and loving it.

Again, not sure how often this needs to be mentioned, 2 of those goals were the Smith miscues. Take those away and its an in the mix stat while facing tough opposition.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for posting that and welcome back, I remember you posting. I pointed out the same play. Just textbook beauty transition. Dispossessing the puck with a solid hit and then moving it effectively up ice. Culminating in Nurse jumping into the play and feeding Draisaitl with a beaty service and wonderful finish.

Love the video. That it slows down to hilite Bears confident little soccer chip pass up to McD that makes the whole breakout there. That confident decision, and ask how many D we've had lately have the confidence and savvy to do what Bear and Nurse did on the play. Look at it Bear spots the break opening, is like a QB there, and holds up with a shimmy shake till the exact right moment and then puts the pass to McD between the opponents skates. Beauty. Does Bear play Soccer? WOW! What a play.

That goal was just brilliant, can't stop talking about it. Just finished mentioning in another thread that opponent coaches will look at that goal and basically say "oh no".

It almost looks like "showtime" is back.

These are special days again.

Bear does little things like that on most plays. He always has his head up looking for the smart play. I love that he has the confidence to attempt those plays - is this something that Tippett brings? I felt under previous coaches the players were afraid of making mistakes and opted towards the safe "off the glass" play. I did appreciate Nurse skating to space in the middle of the ice to receive the pass from Kassian.

It's been mentioned, but how stubborn have previous coaches been with the pairings. Nurse has always needed a puck mover to play with him.

Early days and I trust fans to have patience with Bear when he inevitably struggles at some point.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I believe Bouchard will be the de facto #1 D. If not, it is a wasted pick. Seeing Dobson already playing and Quinn Hughes scoring last night makes me believe Bouchard is ready to at least be on the second paring and first unit pp. Why is it other teams are starting their 19 yr olds with key minutes while our guy is in the dumps. The league is getting younger and Holland should get with the program.

cause if we play Bouchard in the AHL it wont burn a year of his elc, and before u say no thats the case. Trust me it is.

He is in a unique situation

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I didnt think there was this much player with Bear to be honest.
Pelletier is doing great work with our prospects and their skating. I hope Bouchard can follow the same trajectory.
If he improves his skating like Bear has...look out.

Reactions: snipes

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I do think that balances the pairings the best in terms of having a puck mover on each pairing. However, if Persson continues to play great with Klefbom I think you might consider Larsson on the bottom pair with heavy PK minutes.

I think Russell - Larsson might have real trouble getting the puck out of the zone at ES.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Russell - Larsson might have real trouble getting the puck out of the zone at ES.
Potentially, but I also wouldn't call Benning a great puck mover either and they've done fine as the bottom pairing. The idea here is limiting Larsson's minutes 5v5 if Bear/Persson are out performing him and playing him to his strengths on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->