Player Discussion Ethan Bear: It's a Bear Market

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bear and Jones look to be big gifts Chiarelli will leave us, amidst his pile of junk.

The 2015 draft is crazy for the Oilers. McDavid, Jones, Bear, Marino. The scouts were locked in that day

Bear has all the makings of a top 4, or dare I say even top pairing D. Need to keep this kid around for the long term because hes got all sorts of potential

Reactions: 780il

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bear and Jones look to be big gifts Chiarelli will leave us, amidst his pile of junk.

The 2015 draft is crazy for the Oilers. McDavid, Jones, Bear, Marino. The scouts were locked in that day

Bear has all the makings of a top 4, or dare I say even top pairing D. Need to keep this kid around for the long term because hes got all sorts of potential
He's already a legitimate tp 4 defenseman if he simply sustains his current level of play. What impresses me most is that he is not just an offensive guy who treads water defensively. His defensive game has been excellent most of the season.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Agree 100%.

Now replace Nurse with Bear on the PP....stat!!!

And leave him there even when Klefbom gets back. To have a RHD manning the point on the PP, and one that not only shoots(Klefbom does not do this enough) but be accurate(Nurse is not an accurate shot from back there), and mobile. Our PP is great, I feel Bear would make it better.

The PP is still producing with McD/Neal and Klefbom out.....that is unreal.

Reactions: guymez

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He always had the smarts, slap shot and the hockey IQ. It was his skating that was the concern, and he's made huge strides in that area.

I'm so proud of him and impressed with how far he's come, and I know he'll be even better if continues to improve his skating.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
He's already a legitimate tp 4 defenseman if he simply sustains his current level of play. What impresses me most is that he is not just an offensive guy who treads water defensively. His defensive game has been excellent most of the season.
And he actually has some bite to his game. I hope he continues on this path, he is a different player from last season.

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm hoping for 7 or 8 years at around $3.5M-ish. I know that's bit hopefully, but that's a lot of guaranteed money.

I'm hoping for 8 years at $1M ish, that's still 8M and easy to live on for the rest of his life, he should take it!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm hoping for 8 years at $1M ish, that's still 8M and easy to live on for the rest of his life, he should take it!
honestly, I wouldn't like that. I really like the kid and want him to get a comparatively good salary. But yes, a long term deal similar to Klefbom's would be great!

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Dude I'd actually complain about that deal because of how unfair it is to Bear.

He's worked hard and he's improved a great deal. He deserves a salary consistent with his role.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I’ll always remember his sick goal vs the sharks this season where he took the cap off the goalies water, Burns proceeded to say “nice shot kid”.

talent recognizes talent and it would be something if Bear ever came close to the player Burns is.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yes, that was my point.
Well the number you were reacting to was $3.5M, which I think may be a bit low for a long term contract but still it is not that outlandish. Put that as the low end and maybe $5M as high end for a long term contract. Not sure why you needed to make your point in that way, it definitely is not a comment that encourages a discussion about it... Why not just make you point saying it is low in your opinion and explain why, that way at least there can be a conversation about it.

edit: or did I miss your point of the post?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad