Player Discussion Ethan Bear : AHL or NHL?

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Bear in my opinion has regressed. Jones is a great skater. We have something with him. I know this sounds crazy but I think in 2 years our defence will be top notch. In no particular order:
Klefbom
Larsson
Jones
Nurse
Bouchard

I could see that. In terms of Bear, would a playing style comparison be Tyson Barrie? Not equation playing style to guaranteed production btw.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Disappointing that he seems to have taken a step backwards this year. He was ahead of Jones at the end of last season but it looks like he's been passed by Caleb and even Logan Day on the Condors now. Kind of concerning that he doesn't have any goals... I know he was injured earlier this season, maybe that's got something to do with it.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Conditioning?
Well I know he was injured but I would have liked him to work on his skating. It seems Jones got better every game and bear either was stagnant or regressed. I wouldn’t say he has conditioning issues but seemed to lack motivation to improve. Also his shot was his asset that the oilers craved and if he isn’t using it down there then there is zero point to bring him up. I mean I have only watched a handful of Condors games this year. Take what I say with a grain of salt. I still think he will be an NHL capable dman coming out of camp next year. I would have just liked to see more growth.

Reactions: Clayonator

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I could see that. In terms of Bear, would a playing style comparison be Tyson Barrie? Not equation playing style to guaranteed production btw.

I wish he was comparable to Barrie. Bear was up last year and looked ok. He has a good shot and with work, could be a good option on the pp. He needs work on his skating. I actually think he is suffering from an injury which is limiting him. Jones has passed him. Another Dman I forgot to mention is Dmitri Samorukov. He looks really good in Guelph, played big minutes for Russia and Paul Coffey really likes him

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Odds are Woodcroft is going to be on Gregor's show soon and he'll be brought up.

Seems like everytime someone is asking about prospects in Bakersfield that either Woodcroft was just on Gregor's show or ends up on it a few days later.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The lack of goals is a touch concerning, however 30 games isn't really much of a sample size for a defenceman.

Overall though his box car # are fine. If I remember he's started off ice cold after the injury, but has worked his way up to just under 0.5PPG, with one of the better +/- on the team.

Contrast that to Jones if you want, who started out of the gate red hot with 9 points in 11 games, and then getting 3 over his next 10 before his call up.

I still think there at similar in terms of where they are in development. Both have looked competent in the NHL, but still with the tendance to get worked over in the defensive zone occasionally.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The lack of goals is a touch concerning, however 30 games isn't really much of a sample size for a defenceman.

Overall though his box car # are fine. If I remember he's started off ice cold after the injury, but has worked his way up to just under 0.5PPG, with one of the better +/- on the team.

Contrast that to Jones if you want, who started out of the gate red hot with 9 points in 11 games, and then getting 3 over his next 10 before his call up.

I still think there at similar in terms of where they are in development. Both have looked competent in the NHL, but still with the tendance to get worked over in the defensive zone occasionally.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I think you are inferring a lot from Bears stats about him regressing. It is likely a result of being asked to pay more attention to his defensive game. His +/- has been considerably better this year.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think we forget really fast that Bear is still only 21 and still only in his 2nd year of pro hockey. He hasn't even played a full years worth of AHL games. He's only at 67 games.

No rush with him. From the games I've seen he has been better defensively but clearly the goals haven't come. He was underwhelming when I saw him early, but he's been better. We always use shooting average when it comes to players who have puck luck, well clearly his 0.0 percent shooting percentage won't maintain.

What makes me worry less is that he's still contributing offensively. I would bet he'll be in the top 20 for defensemen assists by the end of the year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In my opinion there is little to no difference between Bear and Jones in terms of who will have a better nhl career.

Both have shown glimpses of being nhl regulars but realistically they are both far away.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
In my opinion there is little to no difference between Bear and Jones in terms of who will have a better nhl career.

Both have shown glimpses of being nhl regulars but realistically they are both far away.
Jones already appears to be firmly entrenched in our top 4 and is playing over 20 minutes a night. Sure, he has some brain farts and gets walked on occasion like any young defender, but he's arguably the best D passer on the team. I'm not sure how he's far away and I don't see him out of the line up any time soon.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Jones already appears to be firmly entrenched in our top 4 and is playing over 20 minutes a night. Sure, he has some brain farts and gets walked on occasion like any young defender, but he's arguably the best D passer on the team. I'm not sure how he's far away and I don't see him out of the line up any time soon.

I think Jones is in a perfect development spot. He's making some errors, but he's also not obviously over his head. He's improving, and playing against NHL competition is showing him just exactly what he has to do to be a regular NHLer, and he's getting there. He has all the tools and seems to even have a decent toolbox. Odds are he'll put it all together and be at least a good #4 Dman. Things look bright for him. Until he gets slaughtered tonight, of course (reverse jinx).

Bear was ahead last year at this time, but Jones has gone past him in their respective development.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Shockied.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad