Player Discussion Ethan Bear : AHL or NHL?

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
It looks like Bouchard will get at least 9 games. Either the oilers carry 8 defensemen or Bear will get the call up after. I would rather let Bear get a few ahl games than have him take Jarabek's spot sitting on the bench.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Keeo him. Solid D, played solid in his stint last season, best puck mover on the D core. Better to learn how to play against NHL players

Debatable, especially if it causes you to lose games.

Last year Bear was a disaster in the defensive end. If he's improved that aspect this year I can see the argument for keeping him. But if he starts to bleed goals against like he did last season, he needs to go down. For his sake and the Oilers sake.

If he can help to keep the puck out of our net while also joining the play offensively and contributing some offense I'm happy to have him here.

I still see pretty big defensive warts in both his and Bouchard's game through pre-season though. At least imo.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I still see pretty big defensive warts in both his and Bouchard's game through pre-season though. At least imo.
I think Bear looks a little more solid than Bouchard. Probably just because older and a little more experienced. He definitely looks more composed than last year.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Benning needs to up his game if he wants to continue to stick around here beyond this season. Larsson, Bouchard and Bear would be a solid 1-2-3 punch down the right side in time.

Reactions: nabob and snipes

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Debatable, especially if it causes you to lose games.

Last year Bear was a disaster in the defensive end. If he's improved that aspect this year I can see the argument for keeping him. But if he starts to bleed goals against like he did last season, he needs to go down. For his sake and the Oilers sake.

If he can help to keep the puck out of our net while also joining the play offensively and contributing some offense I'm happy to have him here.

Ill wait to evaluate Bear until he plays minutes with a D partner that isnt Kris Russell, who is the exact opposite of what a young D like Bear needs

He was far from brutal. He performed well for a raw rookie and one who had to deal with Russell

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not a 100% sure that Bear would make an NHL squad with adequate puck movers and shooters from the point, but on Edmonton he was the best we had all last season. With Bouchard here now, he's number 2 in that skill category but still sorely needed. And that is why he brings more to this lineup than Benning. Let him grow in the NHL this year and let's see what we got in him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ill wait to evaluate Bear until he plays minutes with a D partner that isnt Kris Russell, who is the exact opposite of what a young D like Bear needs

He was far from brutal. He performed well for a raw rookie and one who had to deal with Russell
Imo, Benning will be in the top 4. He's a right shot, and a matured player who is likely ready to take tougher competition.

Bear or Bouchard would be on the bottom pairing, getting less minutes and easier comp, but would get lots of time on the 1st PP unit.

That means that the available spot is next to Russell imo. It could play out differently, but this looks like the layout.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Imo, Benning will be in the top 4. He's a right shot, and a matured player who is likely ready to take tougher competition.

Bear or Bouchard would be on the bottom pairing, getting less minutes and easier comp, but would get lots of time on the 1st PP unit.

That means that the available spot is next to Russell imo. It could play out differently, but this looks like the layout.
Are you sure about that? Todd seems to be set on the stupid 5 lefty passer setup.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Are you sure about that? Todd seems to be set on the stupid 5 lefty passer setup.
Well I feel the only reason that we would have Bouchard or Bear up is because they have great offensive skills, so I think they will end up on the PP and the first PP I bet.

But I have no real clue. I'd cut coaching some slack for doing weird things in the preseason

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You cant have both Bear and Bouchard on the team at the same time. Bouchard is a better player and he is not AHL eligible.
Bear is close to being NHL ready but playing 20+ minutes a game in the AHL as a top pairing Dman would be great for furthering his development.
Next season he makes the team out of camp.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Aside from a fantastic clapper, Bear really does nothing impressive

Bouchards puck moving ability already eclipses anything Bear does well imo. And their shots are are about equal TBH..but I give the edge to Boosh there to

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Bouchards puck moving ability already eclipses anything Bear does well imo. And their shots are are about equal TBH..but I give the edge to Boosh there to
Compared to Bouchard, maybe. But his puck moving skills are still better than most of the defensemen on the team, and he has been solid defensively this preseason.

And a fantastic clapper is nothing to yawn at.

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He moved the puck well on the PP as well last season. Bear is more than a shot.

Reactions: Aerrol and MisterD

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He moved the puck well on the PP as well last season. Bear is more than a shot.

His mobility is brutal imo. Very north south. I just don't see a player who creates anything aside from his shot., and needs others to make things happen for him. His defense is nothing special either.

IMO I doubt he becomes a NHL regular cuz his game is very limited outside of him getting the puck in a shooting capacity

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
His mobility is brutal imo. Very north south. I just don't see a player who creates anything aside from his shot., and needs others to make things happen for him. His defense is nothing special either.

IMO I doubt he becomes a NHL regular cuz his game is very limited outside of him getting the puck in a shooting capacity

Clearly your viewings of Bear are limited as he moves the puck well. He sees lanes and passes the puck well in the offensive zone on the powerplay so saying he doesn't create anything besides his shot is not true. Yes he's more of an offensive defenseman but he's a a quicker, improved player this pre-season as compared to last year, especially in defensive situations where he seems more composed. He's entering his second pro season and is continuing to show positive signs in his development so it's premature to say he won't be an NHL regular. He's tracking well to be a bottom pairing guy and has the skills to play on the second pairing down the road. Given his growth curve I wouldn't put a limit on how far he can develop.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'll preface my comment, in that I haven't watched all of the pre-season games this year; however, in my limited viewings, I thought Bear looked much better in the D zone.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Sens fan with interest here. How’s he been in the A? Jones seems to have leapfrogged him on the depth chart it seems.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sens fan with interest here. How’s he been in the A? Jones seems to have leapfrogged him on the depth chart it seems.

Bear in my opinion has regressed. Jones is a great skater. We have something with him. I know this sounds crazy but I think in 2 years our defence will be top notch. In no particular order:
Klefbom
Larsson
Jones
Nurse
Bouchard

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
0 goals in 30AHL games
Not that great considering his shot is one of his best assets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->