GDT: "Etch-A-Sketch101: Back to the Basics"|Oilers vs. Panthers|11.05.13|5:30PM|SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
GameDetails.png

Oilers Lineup:

smyth-gagner-yaks.png

hemsky-rnh-ebs.png

Jones-Gordon-Arco.png

gazdic-acton-eager.png

new-ference-petry-1.png

new-smid-larsen-1.png

new-nschultz-fedun-1.png

goalies-1.png

Panthers Lineup:

Tomas Fleischmann – Aleksandr Barkov – Kris Versteeg
Jonathan Huberdeau – Nick Bjugstad – Brad Boyes
Shawn Matthias – Marcel Goc – Tomas Kopecky
Sean Bergenheim – Scott Gomez – Jesse Winchester

Brian Campbell – Dmitry Kulikov
Tom Gilbert – Mike Weaver
Erik Gudbranson – Matt Gilroy

Jacob Markstrom
Scott Clemmenson

OILERS (3-10-2) at PANTHERS (3-8-3)

TV: SNET-W, FS-F

Last 10: Edmonton 2-7-1; Florida 2-5-3

Season series: This is the first of two meetings between the Edmonton Oilers and Florida Panthers. In their most recent matchup March 23, 2012, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored in the fourth round of a shootout to lift the Oilers to a 2-1 road win.

Big story: Each team enters on a five-game losing streak and in dire need of the positive feelings that come with a winning effort.

Team Scope:

Oilers: This is the start of a four-game road trip for Edmonton, which went 2-3-1 on a six-game swing in October. The finale of that journey was a big 4-3 win against the Montreal Canadiens, but the Oilers haven't tasted victory since.

Preventing goals has been a concern throughout the season, but of late, scoring them has been a problem spot as well. The Oilers were shut out for the second consecutive game when they hosted the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday; their 5-0 defeat followed up a 4-0 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs four days earlier.

"It's tough, it was embarrassing, I have no words for it and there are no excuses for us," defenseman Ladislav Smid said. "People talk about injuries and bad luck and stuff, and we can't talk about that anymore. We all have to wake up in here. I don't think there is one person that can be proud of what he did on the ice.

"Collectively we have to wake up and start working as a team and working for each other."

Panthers: Like its opponent, Florida has had to start three different goaltenders already due to injuries and ineffectiveness. Veteran Scott Clemmensen made his first start of the season Saturday against the Washington Capitals and turned in a solid effort, stopping 21 of 23 shots in regulation and overtime in what ultimately ended up a 3-2 loss.

The Panthers fought back from a pair of one-goal deficits against the Capitals to ensure themselves of a point. Jesse Winchester continued to be a success story with his third of the season and Tomas Fleischmann scored on a power play with 2:38 left in regulation.

"What we have to do is believe that if we are going to play well, the wins are going to come," Fleischmann said. "I think we took a good step in the right direction [Saturday]. We played like a team pretty good all 60 minutes, and I think that's how we get two points next game."

Who's hot: Winchester has two goals and an assist in his past four games for the Panthers. His next goal will tie his career high for a season, set in 72 games for the Ottawa Senators in 2010-11.

Injury report: Edmonton's injury list includes goalie Devan Dubnyk (ankle), defenseman Justin Schultz (groin) and forwards Steve MacIntyre (knee), David Perron (neck), Tyler Pitlick (knee), Jesse Joensuu (back) and Taylor Hall (knee). Ryan Smyth (groin), who hasn't played since Oct. 22, is expected to return to the lineup. ... Florida is without goalie Tim Thomas (lower body), defenseman Ed Jovanovski (hip) and forward Steven Pinizzotto (hip).

Brian Hunter - NHL.com Staff Writer

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Our goalie lets in 4 in the first and gets pulled.
Whoever is backing up lets in 3 in 5 shots.

We lose the game 8-0.

Post game comments:

"I have no idea what's going on"
"We didn't put in another effort all round"
"We need to get back to basics"
"We need to play 'our' game"

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

We lose the game 8-0.

Post game comments:

LOL.

Oilers lose 4-2. Dubnyk has a somewhat solid game minus one softy

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
I think the Oilers win it, just because the Panthers are probably the only team in the league with a worse defence than us. That said, I've had Duby's back all season (and this team's problems extend far, far beyond the net) but if he can't pull his **** together tonight and give us a hell of a game, I'm done with him.

At any rate, fans of whichever sadsack club loses today's Toilet Bowl need to be put on suicide watch.

Oct 30, 2011

We lose the game 8-0.

Post game comments:

Eakins:

"We sent them a cheese basket, some chocolates, and we covered one of their mortgage payments."

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Cool GDT.

Just putting it out there for the people who still haven't caught on that there are two extremely reliable streaming sites that have existed for a long time: hockey reality, though they only broadcast one stream per night (and I doubt that Edmonton v Florida is in huge demand. The other, always reliable, site is first row sports. Quality isn't always the best but you can always find the games there.

But, as I stated in last game's GDT, I'm not watching another Oilers game until they win a game and do so convincingly. If they can't be bothered to show up, why should I? I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on NHL.com in any event.

Hoping for a win, expecting a 4-3 loss with Gilbert, Winchester, and Whitney all having multiple point nights.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
I wish I could give credit to the person who suggested an etch-a-sketch GDT...hint, hint! If it was you, let me know.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
over-passing, skating into D, cautious neutral zone passes not to peoples tape for turnovers, non-communication in D zone leading to Mini-Mite Herd chasing puck, no hitting, Yakupov doing WEIRD stuff at hyper-speed = loss

the battle of the baddies

can't wait

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
Nice GDT Rin. Unfortunately, I think that you probably put more effort into the GDT than the Oilers will put into the game.

Even if they do win it, one already gets the feeling the season is a wash. Its early, yeah, but this year they didn't even have a good October, and then the wheels fell off in November like most of the other seasons in recent memory. Its disgusting watching crappy hockey, especially when its the same crap, different season. No improvement whatsoever on the problems that plague this team. Oh, wait, we are winning a few more faceoffs. I guess thats one positive.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
sort-of birthday game! Screw it, I'm fibbing on my policy for one game. Don't disappoin... Okay, that's asking for too much. Just don't ***** the bed.

Taylor Fedun's first NHL game?

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
Nice GDT Rin. Unfortunately, I think that you probably put more effort into the GDT than the Oilers will put into the game.

Even if they do win it, one already gets the feeling the season is a wash. Its early, yeah, but this year they didn't even have a good October, and then the wheels fell off in November like most of the other seasons in recent memory. Its disgusting watching crappy hockey, especially when its the same crap, different season. No improvement whatsoever on the problems that plague this team. Oh, wait, we are winning a few more faceoffs. I guess thats one positive.

I'm a lot like the Oilers with my effort level in this GDT. I put in some effort in making the Oilers lineup graphics...then I just mailed it in for the rest of the GDT by copying/pasting IATL's stuff. I had a good first two periods...then napped throughout the third. They better not follow in my footsteps!

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Man. Not sure where to put this, but I stumbled across a post mentioning that you can make all the pop-up and sound-on ads go away by becoming a sponsor. Didn't even know that was a possibility. I just did it and man, is it ever worth a dollar a month not to have to deal with that crap anymore. Highly recommended. I probably spend a half hour a day reading these boards. Happy to be a supporter.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Man. Not sure where to put this, but I stumbled across a post mentioning that you can make all the pop-up and sound-on ads go away by becoming a sponsor. Didn't even know that was a possibility. I just did it and man, is it ever worth a dollar a month not to have to deal with that crap anymore. Highly recommended. I probably spend a half hour a day reading these boards. Happy to be a supporter.

Just did it as well. so much better, the page seems to load a lot faster to.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Just did it as well. so much better, the page seems to load a lot faster to.

Yeah, man. The way they were cluttering up the board with ads was seriously ruining the place for me. Glad to have a nice quiet place to commiserate again. ;)

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Mods also get that perk. It's easier on your mental health to become a sponsor though. I'm hoping there's some kind of retirement bonus at the end of my tenure. :laugh:

Big game tonight. For the Oilers sake, I hope they win. But losing to Florida and Philly will be extremely beneficial in Breaking Blad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad