OT: Establishment in Toronto wont play Leaf games

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This has nothing to do with it. The bar he's running is a Franchise, so he can't make up his own rules like that.

Of course you can. He can't stray from the menu but they wouldn't go as far as to tell you which games you can show, that's absurd.

It's dumb business logic but the Owner can do what he likes.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The Senate bar is pretty nice inside, except for the autographed Roberts jersey on the wall, with the words LEAFS SUCK on the frame.

On Saturday night, I was at the 3 Brewer's on Bank st. and all the TV's were tuned to the RDS feed of the Habs and Bruins game. I know this is Ottawa but wow. Not 1 TV with the Leafs game. THE NATIONAL HEADLINING CBC GAME.

Just to clarify, the Habs-Bruins game was the national CBC game. Leafs-Devils was only in Ontario. This is not to say that the bar was right in what they had on, but I just wanted to correct your point about the Leafs game.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Just to clarify, the Habs-Bruins game was the national CBC game. Leafs-Devils was only in Ontario. This is not to say that the bar was right in what they had on, but I just wanted to correct your point about the Leafs game.
This is true.

As a Leaf fan out west, there was NO way for me to watch the Leaf game on Saturday on TV.

I have a digital cable subscription, access to NHL GameCentre, but because this game was still "national" it wasn't available via GameCentre or Centre Ice, and because Shaw (Cable subscriber) did not carry eastern timeshifting Canadian channels, I was completely out of luck, and had to stream it via CBC's extremely crappy stream.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Pubs are gonna make really good money in the playoffs. First Leafs playoffs in almost a decade? Tons of people will be trying to enjoy it.

Maybe this owner should quit being cheap, and pay the extra expense to be able to have more than one sport/game on at one time on separate TVs... allows him to watch his precious Habs, and not alienate Leaf fans... in Toronto...

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
Of course you can. He can't stray from the menu but they wouldn't go as far as to tell you which games you can show, that's absurd.

It's dumb business logic but the Owner can do what he likes.

I sincerely doubt upper management would allow him to alienate an entire customer base because of something as trivial as what hockey team they cheer for. Even if the restaurant is a sustainable business as it currently operates, they wouldn't stand for additional revenues being pissed away like that.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Ok, I understand this is a franchise... but some clarification:

Does he not allow people to enter for being a Leafs fan? Or does he just not play Leafs games? If it is second, he is well within his rights do to so.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I sincerely doubt upper management would allow him to alienate an entire customer base because of something as trivial as what hockey team they cheer for. Even if the restaurant is a sustainable business as it currently operates, they wouldn't stand for additional revenues being pissed away like that.

I assumed he's a Franchisee not an Employee.

Of course they could/would advise him but I don't see how they could enforce what's shown on tv. Something as specific as that wouldn't be written into a Franchisee agreement.

A few years ago, I investigated purchasing a St Louis franchise. You needed approximately 600K unencumbered to even enter discussions. When someone has that type of money invested, you can pretty much run things as you like as long as you aren't making changes to the core business, ie. menu.

edit - just checked that's down to 250k, glad I stayed away http://www.stlouiswings.com/franchising/frequently-asked-questions/

Last edited:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Ok, I understand this is a franchise... but some clarification:

Does he not allow people to enter for being a Leafs fan? Or does he just not play Leafs games? If it is second, he is well within his rights do to so.

Lmao, it's definitely not the former. That would be discrimination and would be sued in tort out of his arse hole.

And yes he is in his rights to do so, but it is clear he his losing business.

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
I assumed he's a Franchisee not an Employee.

Of course they could/would advise him but I don't see how they could enforce what's shown on tv. Something as specific as that wouldn't be written into a Franchisee agreement.

A few years ago, I investigated purchasing a St Louis franchise. You needed approximately 600K unencumbered to even enter discussions. When someone has that type of money invested, you can pretty much run things as you like as long as you aren't making changes to the core business, ie. menu.

edit - just checked that's down to 250k, glad I stayed away http://www.stlouiswings.com/franchising/frequently-asked-questions/

I guess you're right, but I don't think they'd be too happy about it. Especially if they receive complaints at head office. If that we're to happen, could they ever force him to play Leafs games?:laugh:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Someone in here mentioned that they had watched Leaf games there before. It was Habs-Bruins on a Saturday night so it sounds like his fandom got the better of him. I can see it. If he refuses to play the Leafs period it seems mildly suicidal to business, but it sounds like we have someone saying otherwise in here. My question would probably be does a Habs game on at the same time as the Leafs always preempt the Leafs, or are we talking, again, "Habs-Bruins-Saturday night-1st in division at stake" one-offish type thing?

Either way I think it's a poor decision on his part, but it's his to make. Hey, it was a big game..

Oct 19, 2007
This is true.

As a Leaf fan out west, there was NO way for me to watch the Leaf game on Saturday on TV.

I have a digital cable subscription, access to NHL GameCentre, but because this game was still "national" it wasn't available via GameCentre or Centre Ice, and because Shaw (Cable subscriber) did not carry eastern timeshifting Canadian channels, I was completely out of luck, and had to stream it via CBC's extremely crappy stream.

I live in BC and I watched it on CBC Ont...I have regional channels as a part of my HD package..

EDDIE20*

The Senate bar is pretty nice inside, except for the autographed Roberts jersey on the wall, with the words LEAFS SUCK on the frame.

On Saturday night, I was at the 3 Brewer's on Bank st. and all the TV's were tuned to the RDS feed of the Habs and Bruins game. I know this is Ottawa but wow. Not 1 TV with the Leafs game. THE NATIONAL HEADLINING CBC GAME.

Figures the words LEAFS SUCK would appear next to a Roberts jersey in that place. He owned Ottawa when he was a Leaf. You know how sensitive Sens fans can be.

royst

Jan 14, 2010
The worst incident I've ever been involved in was at a Wild Wing.

I went to the Wild Wing for the Winnipeg-Toronto game on HNIC. However, the restaurant was not showing it at all. After asking them several times to change it to the leafs game they finally put it in near the end of the first period.

They were also showing the UFC preliminaries...and figured that was more important as they only had 2 out of the 15 tvs dedicated to having the Leafs game (and the sound set for the UFC fight)

Now these circumstances were odd but I didn't mind because at least I could still partially watch the game. But the worst part was. at 10 o clock..Leafs in the middle of the shootout, they decide to change all channels to the UFC channel that HADNT EVEN STARTED YET. The whole restaurant was going crazy and they still did not change it. and when someone tried, they said the game wasn't on because the guide showed that the next game was on...

Most frustrating experience ever. I'm never going back to that restaurant again.

Leafsvideos

Oct 16, 2010
Maybe the owner figures that every other bar in Toronto is playing the Leafs game, and he is taking advantage of being one of the only few that are playing the Habs game. Let's keep in mind that there are Habs fans in Toronto. Let's say he was the only bar to play any Habs games, than theoretically, he would get all their fans in one place. It's different, it's what businesses do, trying to be different then every other place.

Hackey Night

Mar 3, 2013
Torono, ON
It's just one bar in a sea of many, around my area; Etobicoke they have plenty of Leafs options/places to watch. Take your business elsewhere and done deal. I've never had a request to watch a hockey game turned down, usually owners recognize the business it generates for them.

P.S. St. Louis Wings is horrible anyways.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
This is true.

I was in your situation also, but after I talked to Shaw, I was able to add the timeshift package for $3.95/month, and you can cancel right away. So in essence, I watched the Leafs NJ game for $4.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
St Louis does have a pretty good special on Leaf Game nights. Think it's $15 for a pound of wings and a 32 oz pint.

IMO, best wings around.

I wonder how the guy who only shows Hab games handles this special, I would think that would be a corporate deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad