OT: Establishment in Toronto wont play Leaf games

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Have any of you from Toronto experienced this?

Yesterday I went to "St. Louis Wings" with a few buddies on Danforth Avenue, near Pape Ave. As we walked in, we noticed only the Habs game on the TV's.

A guy greeted us to have us seated. We asked for a table where the Leaf game is shown. He said "No, we only play the Habs game". I said "why not the Leafs game at all?" He said "I'm the owner and I'm a Montreal fan. I play what I want.". We just turned around an left.

This guy does not know how to run a business. Too bad for him. Last time I ever go there to spend any of my hard earned money.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
lol gf isn't a big fan of hockey, she will watch with me, and cut back some of the jokes she makes, but even this she was disgusted with.

I get your the owner, but wouldnt more customers coming in be what you want the most? couldn't you put a tv behind the bar or somewhere for you if you want? I mean Blues games, i'd understand cuz "St. Louis Wings" but habs?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What's he going to do when he loses all the business from the post-season(potentially)?

But really I would've just walked out.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
LMFAO what a maroon. Hey if he wants to lose money let him do it, he has no one to blame but himself. What kind of idiot puts his personal agenda about a hockey team over making probably hundreds to thousands of more dollars? You put the Leaf game on and cater to the majority. Him not showing the Leaf game is just going to drive hundreds of Leaf fans away from his joint over a week/weekend. And especially when May roles around and the weather gets nice. Can you imagine how many people are going to want to go to a bar/pub on a Saturday night in the middle of May on a gorgeous night? The guy needs to give his head a shake and use some common sense.

And to answer the OP's question. Hell no!! I've never experienced that! Look not every bar or pub owner are going to be Leaf fans, but if you're living/working in the city just a little advice! Might want to show the Leafs game and cater to the biggest fan base in hockey.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Aren't they franchised? i'm pretty sure they can get some **** from upper management if they hear they won't play XXX game because the owner doesn't like the team.

It's a sports and wings place

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
That owner's an idiot.I'd get it if it was a small bar trying to get the Habs fans in the city

But it's a franchise with more than 1 tv

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Yesterday I went to "St. Louis Wings" with a few buddies on Danforth Avenue, near Pape Ave. As we walked in, we noticed only the Habs game on the TV's.

A guy greeted us to have us seated. We asked for a table where the Leaf game is shown. He said "No, we only play the Habs game". I said "why not the Leafs game at all?" He said "I'm the owner and I'm a Montreal fan. I play what I want.". We just turned around an left.

This guy does not know how to run a business. Too bad for him. Last time I ever go there to spend any of my hard earned money.

Wow. All I can say is: why? A customer in Toronto asks for the Leafs game to be put on one of the TVs (I assume they had a few, since you said it's a wings and beer place) and they say no?

Seriously? In Toronto?

Yesterday myself, my daughter and my wife walked into the East Side Marios in Collingwood for an early dinner/late lunch. It was pretty dead and I noticed a TV in the far corner with the Jays game on. I said: "Can we sit over there to watch the Jays game?" The hostess enthusiastically said: "Sure, sounds great." I'm pretty sure if I had of asked her to change the channel should would have said "no problem."

Very weird.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

Wow, I'm a bit shocked actually. Good move and I probably would've done the same... not good for business if you ask me, lol. Just after reading your post I've already considered to NOT endorse this particular establishment to friends if their name comes up in conversations (if anything, it's already a customer courtesy issue).

Should call their head office maybe they'll suggest he moves his franchise to Quebec instead perhaps? :sarcasm:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
What a moron.

Although I will say, there's a great bar here in Ottawa where the bartender is a huge Leafs fan, so he always plays the sound for the Leaf game when the Leafs and Sens are playing conflicting games.

And I got pretty rattled there last night going to "The Senate" pub last night and the bartender was playing the sound for the Final Four NCAA **** instead of the sound for the Leafs-Devils game (or even the Habs-Bruins game). Everyone in the bar was there to watch hockey. My buddy and I asked him if he'd change the sound to hockey, he refused, we left.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Its not like there is a shortage of Habs fans around. If it is well known that this restaurant only shows that Habs games, he probably gets a very steady clientele during the regular season because they go there knowing that they (habs fans) will not be bothered by other team's fans (unless we are playing each other).

If this is creative marketing, good on the owner for noticing a clientele base, but if this is just sheer arrogance, well then he can just **** right off.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What a moron.

Although I will say, there's a great bar here in Ottawa where the bartender is a huge Leafs fan, so he always plays the sound for the Leaf game when the Leafs and Sens are playing conflicting games.

And I got pretty rattled there last night going to "The Senate" pub last night and the bartender was playing the sound for the Final Four NCAA **** instead of the sound for the Leafs-Devils game (or even the Habs-Bruins game). Everyone in the bar was there to watch hockey. My buddy and I asked him if he'd change the sound to hockey, he refused, we left.

Really? A bar in Ottawa refused to play hockey over NCAA basketball? You should have wrote to Prime Minister Harper! LOL

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
He's not very bright. Business is about reaching your consumers and not driving them into the arms of your opposition.

Was there only one TV? Because if there was, then that's more understandable because he can only attract one particular group of people and he would choose something more personal to him but if there were other areas in the restaurant with TVs where he could have put another game on and he chose not to, then he's just a really stupid businessman.

leafspring*

Chicken and Canadiens seems about right to me.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
Its not like there is a shortage of Habs fans around. If it is well known that this restaurant only shows that Habs games, he probably gets a very steady clientele during the regular season because they go there knowing that they (habs fans) will not be bothered by other team's fans (unless we are playing each other).

If this is creative marketing, good on the owner for noticing a clientele base, but if this is just sheer arrogance, well then he can just **** right off.

But if he said it's because "HE" is a hab fan, then it's for his enjoyment, he didn't say he had a habs bar.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I went to Sports Center Cafe on Yonge & St. Clair last night, they had the Leaf game on on the smaller TVs at the front. On the big projector screen in the back they had college basketball.

Adding to the disappointment, they ran out of every beer on tap by around 10:30pm, all they had left was Strongbow, are you kidding me!!!? I won't be going there again.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
haha I just called in to see if they would be showing the game tomorrow and a young lady answered the phone. after I posed the question she laughed and said "oh yeah, definitely" im guessing some other people who have read this thread called in asking or complaining about the same thing. Maybe it wasn't the owner and just a part time manager or something who probably got in **** for not showing the game. lol just a guess

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Adding to the disappointment, they ran out of every beer on tap by around 10:30pm, all they had left was Strongbow, are you kidding me!!!? I won't be going there again.

Did you ask them why? Sometimes a place will have an above average weekend and run out of stuff. Although it seems weird to run out of everything! LOL Did you ask them to switch over to the hockey game on the big TV?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Really? A bar in Ottawa refused to play hockey over NCAA basketball? You should have wrote to Prime Minister Harper! LOL

I know eh! I wasn't aware that we were in America and like college basketball over hockey.

But on that note, any Leaf fan living in Ottawa; go to the Earl on Sussex. The bartender is a beauty and a massive Leaf fan. When Coaches Corner went on last night, he turned up the volume so that we could all hear what Don was saying :laugh:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I know eh! I wasn't aware that we were in America and like college basketball over hockey.

But on that note, any Leaf fan living in Ottawa; go to the Earl on Sussex. The bartender is a beauty and a massive Leaf fan. When Coaches Corner went on last night, he turned up the volume so that we could all hear what Don was saying :laugh:

What a waste. Coaches Corner last night was a joke. I don't need to see a replay of Don getting Kadri and then, wow, Don getting Orr and McClaren - very exciting! Seriously, a few days after the trade deadline and Coaches Corner was dedicated to showing a replay of Don getting guys for an interview a week earlier.

But seriously, I it blows my mind to imagine a Canadian establishment choosing college basketball over hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad