OT: Establishment in Toronto wont play Leaf games

thunderhawk905*

Thanks for the heads up, won't be spending any time there. Unless it's to heckle after a Habs loss...

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Sounds to me like its a "haven" for Habs fans, which I don't think is all that unreasonable. If the owner thinks he gets enough business without playing Leaf games then he must have a somewhat solid base of clientele (he's still in business, ain't he?). Long and short of it? Just go and eat somewhere else, no shortage of sports bars in Toronto.

If the owner is just a jerk, he'll go under sooner rather than later. If the place is actually a habs bar in Toronto, you probably dont want to eat there anyways (might catch whatever it is that makes the Habs so.... Habby...).

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
Anyone know where I can watch the NCAA national championship with audio on tonight? Calling around and everyone says they're playing Leafs audio.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I don't know what the fuss is about.

There are enough Habs fans in Toronto/GTA to run his business. Maybe he puts his team loyalty before money, maybe he has other source of money.

If I am a Leafs fan living in Montreal, and I had a bar in Toronto and Montreal, I won't allow a single Habs jersey in even in Montreal. ;)

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
To be honest that is kind of funny. Think of how pumped up we'd all be if we heard a Habs fan in Montreal complaining because a local bartender would only show the Leafs.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
A Leaf's bar in Montreal?Someone would burn the owner's car.Those guy's take the Habs pretty seriously.

hockeyfanz*

Have any of you from Toronto experienced this?

Yesterday I went to "St. Louis Wings" with a few buddies on Danforth Avenue, near Pape Ave. As we walked in, we noticed only the Habs game on the TV's.

A guy greeted us to have us seated. We asked for a table where the Leaf game is shown. He said "No, we only play the Habs game". I said "why not the Leafs game at all?" He said "I'm the owner and I'm a Montreal fan. I play what I want.". We just turned around an left.

This guy does not know how to run a business. Too bad for him. Last time I ever go there to spend any of my hard earned money.

What a freakin moron. So he doesnt care what his customers want? Ridiculous. I used to bartend in a sports bar. Whatever the guys sitting at the bar wanted to watch is what was on the screen. You want to keep your paying customers engaged and in their seats. The Habs ? Yes if your business is on St.Catherines street.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
having a bar for a certain team is obviously fine. good for the Habs fans who move here. wouldn't you think it was cool to go to a Leafs fan bar in Montreal or Vancouver?

the only part of this that's a bit weird is that it's a franchise, not a solo business. i would think the company itself might not be happy if they found out.

Dr Turk

Jul 4, 2008
Toronto
Has anyone been to Kilgours at bloor and bathurst-ish? It's a habs bar but it's a really nice bar, went there to watch a Leafs-Habs game and everyone there was actually really nice, all good natured chirping.

If there are enough habs fans in this city to support habs bars then more power to them. Don't think a place like St.Louis should be doing this though.

You Like Boyce

Mar 7, 2011
Good to know. I've been there once and it had the atmosphere of a funeral home. Regardless, I'll be sure not to go back.

As others have said I'd try and go above the guys head and talk to someone in management just to get him in some hot water. I have a buddy that bartends at another location and they ARE a Leafs bar/franchise in T.O. That's why most of them have that Leafs countdown to the next game. I don't think they'd be too pleased to here a franchisee is alienating potential patrons.

GreekLeafer

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
What a moron.

Although I will say, there's a great bar here in Ottawa where the bartender is a huge Leafs fan, so he always plays the sound for the Leaf game when the Leafs and Sens are playing conflicting games.

And I got pretty rattled there last night going to "The Senate" pub last night and the bartender was playing the sound for the Final Four NCAA **** instead of the sound for the Leafs-Devils game (or even the Habs-Bruins game). Everyone in the bar was there to watch hockey. My buddy and I asked him if he'd change the sound to hockey, he refused, we left.

The Senate bar is pretty nice inside, except for the autographed Roberts jersey on the wall, with the words LEAFS SUCK on the frame.

On Saturday night, I was at the 3 Brewer's on Bank st. and all the TV's were tuned to the RDS feed of the Habs and Bruins game. I know this is Ottawa but wow. Not 1 TV with the Leafs game. THE NATIONAL HEADLINING CBC GAME.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The Senate bar is pretty nice inside, except for the autographed Roberts jersey on the wall, with the words LEAFS SUCK on the frame.

On Saturday night, I was at the 3 Brewer's on Bank st. and all the TV's were tuned to the RDS feed of the Habs and Bruins game. I know this is Ottawa but wow. Not 1 TV with the Leafs game. THE NATIONAL HEADLINING CBC GAME.

Yeah it really is actually. That Roberts jersey is brutal.

There used to be an Alfie picture in the mens bathroom above one of the stalls, which is no longer there, and I have no idea why it isn't there anymore :naughty:

If you want a good place near Bank Street to watch the game, I suggest going to McLarens. They've got tonnes of TV's and always play the Leafs game. I think at least a few of the bartenders are Leafs fans

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Sounds to me like its a "haven" for Habs fans, which I don't think is all that unreasonable. If the owner thinks he gets enough business without playing Leaf games then he must have a somewhat solid base of clientele (he's still in business, ain't he?). Long and short of it? Just go and eat somewhere else, no shortage of sports bars in Toronto.

If the owner is just a jerk, he'll go under sooner rather than later. If the place is actually a habs bar in Toronto, you probably dont want to eat there anyways (might catch whatever it is that makes the Habs so.... Habby...).

That makes most sense. Just about every bar shows Leafs, there are tons of people in Toronto from rest of Canada, and a huge number of Montrealers- and I assume only a handful of places they go to watch games. The habs fans I know go out about 25 mins to watch games because its a "Habs Bar" this is probably just one of them.

When I was out at Mcgill I did find a a Leafs bar in Montreal, hell there was a "Leafs Bar" in Manhatten Beach cali too run by a guy from Hamilton.

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada

The larger issue here is that this managers actions could affect other St.Louis Franchisees. Judging by the reaction of people in this thread I think its safe to say that this place had gained a bad reputation, which could follow over to other franchise's and harm their business.

LeafsNation92

Jun 24, 2007
if that was in Europe or south America for soccer the fans were torch the place and throw rocks at it. Or the guy would have a sign saying Habs fans only. We need to get rowdy here and give Habs fans a rough ride like what they do us in Montreal.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
if that was in Europe or south America for soccer the fans were torch the place and throw rocks at it. Or the guy would have a sign saying Habs fans only. We need to get rowdy here and give Habs fans a rough ride like what they do us in Montreal.
Why bring yourself to their level? if this guy wants to make bad business decisions, that's his problem. It's his money. What I find odd is that it's a franchise no? I doubt the people running the company would like hearing about this kind of policy when all these companies have the PR guys say they're a fun,friendly,family atmosphere. Hell, my local watering hole has just about every game on. You ask for it, they'll play it.

alissa

Sep 13, 2011
Toronto
I am going to call them right now and ask for the owner.

And confirm this. And then tell him that he can kiss my ass :)

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe
Well, if he's profitable showing only Habs games, more power to him. It's not like there's a shortage of Habs fans in the GTA. Might a solid business case, who knows.

That being said, I'd rather spend my money in a different bar. :D

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I don't know what the fuss is about.

There are enough Habs fans in Toronto/GTA to run his business. Maybe he puts his team loyalty before money, maybe he has other source of money.

If I am a Leafs fan living in Montreal, and I had a bar in Toronto and Montreal, I won't allow a single Habs jersey in even in Montreal. ;)

This has nothing to do with it. The bar he's running is a Franchise, so he can't make up his own rules like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad