Esposito to the Penguins...unreal

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Esposito impresses at Pens' conditioning camp

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_514564.html

'His first workout wearing a jersey with the Skating Penguin crest suggested Esposito might be ready to prove a lot of people wrong.

His quick feet, for which he was praised by International Scouting Services' Dennis MacInnis, were on full display during an afternoon session of on-ice drills at Southpointe.

Esposito says his speed is his greatest weapon. It showed yesterday, especially on the occasions when he stopped abruptly at center ice and instantly shifted into full-throttle gear during a three-skater break exercise.

As one Penguins official correctly assessed: "Angelo's wheels are scary." '

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Esposito impresses at Pens' conditioning camp

'His first workout wearing a jersey with the Skating Penguin crest suggested Esposito might be ready to prove a lot of people wrong.

His quick feet, for which he was praised by International Scouting Services' Dennis MacInnis, were on full display during an afternoon session of on-ice drills at Southpointe.

Esposito says his speed is his greatest weapon. It showed yesterday, especially on the occasions when he stopped abruptly at center ice and instantly shifted into full-throttle gear during a three-skater break exercise.

As one Penguins official correctly assessed: "Angelo's wheels are scary." '
We all know he has wheels, but he doesn't have will, heart, a heavy work ethic, creativity - hence, why he dropped so far.

I don't think this will be as big of a steal as other ppl in this forum do.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
He'll be forced to work hard if he wants to play with Sid.

The fact that he slipped in the draft should give Esposito some encouragement to work harder on his game........ and seeing in person how hard Crosby works at his game certainly cannot hurt.

If Esposito makes the team this year then the team should ask Gary Roberts to house the kid for the year. Putting Rookies with veteran players or local familys has proven to be a major success and forcing Esposito to watch how Roberts prepares himself for hockey up close could do nothing but good.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The fact that he slipped in the draft should give Esposito some encouragement to work harder on his game........ and seeing in person how hard Crosby works at his game certainly cannot hurt.

If Esposito makes the team this year then the team should ask Gary Roberts to house the kid for the year. Putting Rookies with veteran players or local familys has proven to be a major success and forcing Esposito to watch how Roberts prepares himself for hockey up close could do nothing but good.
Thats pretty much why I want him on the team this year. He could just learn so much from Crosby, Recchi, Roberts ect.

I actually think that a lot of his problems are blown way out of line. Like Kessel, a lot of people were using Crosby as a comparison for AE a year before he was drafted. Now that they were wrong, they have to come up with a ton of reasons why he didn't pan out. I guess they just can't accept him being a very good player just not an elite one.

I have no problem with people saying that he's soft or question his sense but the other stuff seems to be crap IMO. I've been following him pretty closely for a while now and, at least from what I've seen, his work ethic seems good and I've never heard of any team issues. There was also a report about his off ice training a few months ago and that seemed top notch.

IMO he dropped in the draft because he seems to be more of a complementary player rather than a franchise player. Are there worries about part of his game? Sure! Just like any of the players drafted this year but I think that anyone will have to admit that he's going to the right team.

Randall Graves*

I am wondering...

why are people so giddy he's a Penguin? Why are Pens fans so happy? Maybe it's just me but I think his demeanor sucks, and I am glad the Ducks did not take this guy, is it a coincidence his production falls back after Radulov leaves? I know there are those that make excuses for him, but if he is as great as some want to believe he should be able to make others better.

Seems to me if he pans out he'll be one of those guys that puts up pretty numbers, but not a guy you want to go to war with, especially in the post season, I could be wrong but I don't see him uping his game when every time he is on the ice someone is in his face..

Corban

Sep 25, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pa
We all know he has wheels, but he doesn't have will, heart, a heavy work ethic, creativity - hence, why he dropped so far.

I don't think this will be as big of a steal as other ppl in this forum do.

I have NO worries about his "work ethic," when he gets on the ice with Sid, Roberts, Staal, Evgeni, Max, ect..., he will HAVE to bust his a*s or he will not play.

If the kid has talent (which most all say he does) then he will thrive in this suitation. Again he will have no choice but to work hard.

Corban

Sep 25, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am wondering...

why are people so giddy he's a Penguin? Why are Pens fans so happy? Maybe it's just me but I think his demeanor sucks, and I am glad the Ducks did not take this guy, is it a coincidence his production falls back after Radulov leaves? I know there are those that make excuses for him, but if he is as great as some want to believe he should be able to make others better.

Even if Espo needs to be paired up with another talented player inorder to put up some nice numbers, then I say welcome to Pittsburgh Angelo, here you have the opportunity to play with Crosby, Malkin, Staal.

River Man

Jul 25, 2006
I am wondering...

Seems to me if he pans out he'll be one of those guys that puts up pretty numbers, but not a guy you want to go to war with, especially in the post season, I could be wrong but I don't see him uping his game when every time he is on the ice someone is in his face..

The reason why, IMO, that Pens fans are so happy is because none of us thought it was possible to get a player of this caliber at this spot. No Pens fan is counting on Esposito to carry the offensive load. If he can be a solid contributor then he will have more than lived up to expectations.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Maybe someone can educate me a bit- according to the combine health reports which were posted as it's own thread, Espo's already had 2 concussions- was that injury report not legit? I mean, it would explain (to me) why he dropped so far, yet the media doesn't touch this point at all, and it's rarely been brought up in threads. Unless I misread the report, why is no one mentioning this?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am wondering...

If he puts up 40 goals and 95 points he can be soft as charmin on my team any day of the week. As for being in his face, that's a good plan and let Crosby, Malkin, Staal and the rest of the Pens roam free and score at will. Let's say for arguments sake he is indeed soft as charmin, we have plently of top tier players who are not who will pick up the slack in that department and let him score. I will say it again, if you need to put your best checker on him to get him off his game, then we are going to win a lot of cups even if you shut him down.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
Espo doesn't need to be the catalyst on the Pens offense. As long as he can contribute as a complimentary player on a scoring line and not hold up Crosby or Malkin, then he'll have panned out as far as I'm concerned. He was the 20th pick for goodness sake.. how can you not be happy with that??

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
COGH*RicoFata*COUGH :D

Read the article:

Then again, Konstantin Koltsov could skate swiftly, too.

But Esposito's nifty backhand score on a breakaway test and, more impressive, his numerous, crisp cross-ice feeds throughout the workout suggested an offensive arsenal that was beyond a player such as Koltsov.

"He is a top-talent skater ... though, he can be the whole package, too," first-year Penguins head amateur scout Jay Heinbuck said of Esposito at the draft. "(Esposito) creates opportunities with his speed, and he is skilled enough to make something of those opportunities."

.... any of the above sound like Fata to you?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I've seen Espo quite a bit and he remind me of Patrick Elias when he was a rookie ( Not the actual Elias, he became a complete player ). The chances he become a good player are really high, he could not be in a better position to have sucess.

Randall Graves*

Even if Espo needs to be paired up with another talented player inorder to put up some nice numbers, then I say welcome to Pittsburgh Angelo, here you have the opportunity to play with Crosby, Malkin, Staal.
But can't this be said for almost any player? Playing with Sidney Crosby can make anyone look better than they are, so while he may have some offensive skill what good is it if he's soft and unwilling to take hits, do dirty work etc?

Reilly*

But can't this be said for almost any player? Playing with Sidney Crosby can make anyone look better than they are, so while he may have some offensive skill what good is it if he's soft and unwilling to take hits, do dirty work etc?

The Pens have a laundry list of players who can crash and bag in the playoffs.

You don't pass on one of the most skilled players in the draft on a hunch.

Randall Graves*

If he puts up 40 goals and 95 points he can be soft as charmin on my team any day of the week. As for being in his face, that's a good plan and let Crosby, Malkin, Staal and the rest of the Pens roam free and score at will. Let's say for arguments sake he is indeed soft as charmin, we have plently of top tier players who are not who will pick up the slack in that department and let him score. I will say it again, if you need to put your best checker on him to get him off his game, then we are going to win a lot of cups even if you shut him down.
What good are those 40 goals when the playoffs roll around and the physical play picks up and he disappears? All i'm looking at is the big picture, the Pens already have plenty of offensive talent, they shouldn't be picking up softish players with the potential to disappear in the playoffs. There is a reason he fell as far as he did, GM's obviously had some reservations about him, but maybe in this draft it's not a bad risk for the Pens to take, though as I said I would have rather seen them get a grittier guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00